S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Minor 3G MMI annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor 3G MMI annoyances

Overall I love 3G MMI. But there are a few annoyances to me, mainly dealing with it not remembering previous settings or strange default behavior. Examples:

- Pushing the Nav button defaults to a destination selection page, not a map. There's no way to just display a map on the screen without a few button pushes. YOu have to push Nav then Map.

- Sirius always defaults to manual tuning vs. presets. Example: I switch from Sirius preset mode to my iPod then back to Sirius. I then have to push the upper left button to re-select preset tuning mode vs. manual tuning mode. There seems to be no way to have presets readily available without 2 button pushes first or lots of scrolling on the steering wheel.

- If I select 'mix' on my iPod, it automatically deselects it after turning the car off. I have to re-select it every time.

- It would really be great if the DIS displayed song title vs. station name when listening to Sirius.

- Not specifically MMI related, but ADS always defaults to Auto vs. what I last left it in.

Most of these are minor annoyances, but I really like it when things stay as I last left them after turning the car off for the day or changing audio sources. I know I'll probabaly get a lot of replies calling me lazy and to just suck it up. Oh well. To me it's a convenience thing that probably isn't to difficult to implement via software updates (hint, hint).
Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimf15e
Overall I love 3G MMI. But there are a few annoyances to me, mainly dealing with it not remembering previous settings or strange default behavior. Examples:

- Pushing the Nav button defaults to a destination selection page, not a map. There's no way to just display a map on the screen without a few button pushes. YOu have to push Nav then Map.

- Sirius always defaults to manual tuning vs. presets. Example: I switch from Sirius preset mode to my iPod then back to Sirius. I then have to push the upper left button to re-select preset tuning mode vs. manual tuning mode. There seems to be no way to have presets readily available without 2 button pushes first or lots of scrolling on the steering wheel.

- If I select 'mix' on my iPod, it automatically deselects it after turning the car off. I have to re-select it every time.

- It would really be great if the DIS displayed song title vs. station name when listening to Sirius.
I have all of those exact same complaints about the 2G MMI. I wish they were VAG-adjustable.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think you're lazy, I'll have the same issues as you. Off topic a bit, but one cool feature on my BMW is that it comes with 6 programmable buttons with the new iDrive. You can program them for anything, for instance in my car one is programmed for the nav to take me home, one is for turning my DRL on and off, etc. It saves multiple button pushing for common requests. With these complex new systems in cars, it's nice to be able to change some things to our liking with the push of a button. Hopefully Audi goes in this direction...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
jpr
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Same things drive me crazy, plus a few more...

The drive select thing is the biggest issue. It basically is a wasted feature because of that.

FYI, same preset issue happens on FM. Why should it take more clicks to get to a preset radio station than it did in my '69 Camaro? ;-)

A few more issues that seem like they could easily be solved with a software update:
- Preset storing gets confused if you try to save a station with the same name but a different frequency. If I go to save 90.3 (WAMC, Northeast Public Radio) and already have 93.1 (also WAMC), it thinks I'm trying to save the same station, so it asks me if I want to move it. It seems incapable of saving those two stations at the same time.

- The bluetooth implementation leaves something to be desired. For example, my phone assumes that a hands free device is capable of outputting audio at any time, so I can't listen to reminders, voice messages, etc. in the car since MMI doesn't play them.

- Another issue is that phones have great features these days for voice-initiated commands. I can ask my phone when my next appointment is, have it read email, etc., but again, this won't work with MMI. My old bluetooth handsfree device (Motorola IH1000) was great with this. I just said "phone voice tag" and it connected the voice channel directly to the phone.

- No voice capability to enter numbers during a call, such as voicemail keys, extension numbers, etc.

- MMI seems to not be able to hang up my phone. The "end call" button at the bottom left is grayed. The center button seems to not have an effect.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jpr
- MMI seems to not be able to hang up my phone. The "end call" button at the bottom left is grayed. The center button seems to not have an effect.
Push the left roller on the MFSW.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The drive select resets everytime thanks to the EPA. Audi would have to do separate emissions testing if it did not. Do a search this has been discussed.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought an S4 over the weekend and love it! I'm very impressed how well the cockpit and MMI are laid-out. I too would like to see the MMI designed to remember settings and not fallback to the defaults. These are little things, but IMHO, it's the little things that make a difference. I know I'm a newbe to Audi, but it could be worse, and who knows...maybe there'll be a firmware update.

This is coming from a guy who just returned a Corvette I bought under the 60 day satisfaction guarantee. The Corvette was lightening fast and handled great, but built with low quality, low tech, poor fit & finish, and not refined. I wanted to buy American but IMO, GM is still very far behind the power curve. The Corvette was exactly the same MSRP as the S4, but the comparison is as different as night and day. So I'm just glad to be here....
Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to AudiWorld (and Audi) HikerGuy. Just out of curiosity, how much grief did they give you when you returned your Corvette? How many miles had you racked up before you turned it in?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default GM 60 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Here's a quick take on the Corvette return I experianced under the 60 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. I intended to keep the Corvette after I bought it, and took it back to the original Dealer for repair. These were things like misaligned hood, trunk, and bumper and for minor cosmetic defects on the inside. There were also some intermittent operational issues like drivers-door not opening (they have electronic buttons to open the doors), passenger airbag sensor not detecting my passenger,and a few other things. The General Manager of the Dealer belittled me for brigning the car in for these types of repairs. I got GM on the phone and they found another Dealer who was very nice about it, but could only repair a few of the inside cometic defects. That Dealer spoke with the Chevy Regional Rep who recommended I return the car, since most of the things were "within spec".

The plans to return the car went smooth. GM makes you bring the car back to the Dealer who sold it, and an inspector checks it over. I went to the Dealer where I bought it, and it passed the inspection with no problem. Then came time for the Dealer to take back the car and for me to sign over the title. The Dealer refused! I got in contact with GM who called the Dealer to tell them they had no choice, but the owner of the Dealer still refused. To make a longer story short, I sat in front of the Dealer in a rental car for 3 1/2 hours waiting for them to take the Corvette back. Finally after many calls from GM to the Dealer, and my persistence in not going away, The Sales Manager took the car back and gave me a check for the total cost (including sales tax but minus DMV fees).

I immidiately went to the Audi dealer and bought the S4!

Terrible Chevy Dealer experiance, but outstanding Audi Dealer experiance.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to mention the mileage. I was allowed to drive 4000 miles, but had only driven 2100.

Quick Reply: Minor 3G MMI annoyances