S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need complete new Transmission at 35k miles!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need complete new Transmission at 35k miles!?!

Hey guys,

I went to my Audi dealer last Wednesday for my 35k service, and mentioned that besides some jerkiness at very slow stop and go speeds, sometimes my S4 (S-tronic) kinda shudders like it's about to stall and for them to take a look.

They were able to see what I was talking about and installed a new mechantronic unit and I was supposed to get the car back today (after 9 days). Now I just get a vmail today that my S4 needs a 'complete new transmission' and they need to order it from Germany and it'll be another 'week or 2' till I get the car back. Ugh!

My car has only 35k miles on it. Granted I just bought it pre-owned at 30k, but is that really bad/unprecedented for it to go with that few miles on it? Makes me very nervous about my warranty ending in 15k miles...

Wonder if they'll swap my loaner A4 with an S4 if I have to wait that long too?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All makes and models of cars have problems. Since you bought your's with 30K miles, you have no idea how the previous owner used(or abused the car). Even if the car was treated right(and there is no reason to think that it wasn't) mechanical parts fail. Be happy that your's will be covered under warranty. I suggest you look into buying an extended warrranty if you plan on keeping ANY German car after the factory warranty expires.

Last edited by DrGP; 05-24-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
All makes and models of cars have problems. Since you bought your's with 30K miles, you have no idea how the previous owner used(or abused the car). Even if the car was treated right(and there is no reason to think that it wasn't) mechanical parts fail. Be happy that your's will be covered under warranty. I suggest you look into buying an extended warrranty if you plan on keeping ANY German car after the factory warranty expires.
This is my first Audi ever, and first sports car I've had in a while (had a BMW M3 many years ago), so not sure how reliable transmissions are on these things. Definitely happy the car is still under warranty for sure as I know this is a very expensive repair out of warranty. Will definitely be looking at extended warranties before I hit 50k miles...
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmk32
This is my first Audi ever, and first sports car I've had in a while (had a BMW M3 many years ago), so not sure how reliable transmissions are on these things. Definitely happy the car is still under warranty for sure as I know this is a very expensive repair out of warranty. Will definitely be looking at extended warranties before I hit 50k miles...
Call AoA up and discuss the new transmission with them. You may be able to have them extend the warranty because of the transmission, or at least have them cover the transmission a couple more years.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Creatre
Call AoA up and discuss the new transmission with them. You may be able to have them extend the warranty because of the transmission, or at least have them cover the transmission a couple more years.
Great idea. I think I'll try that! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Man, sorry to hear it! Least they are doing the right thing and replacing the whole transmission. And do check in on the warranty suggestion. If you can score more miles/years as a warranty for all the trouble you're being put through, its definitely a bonus.

FWIW, I probably did 6 months of intensive forum research (Audiworld & Audizine) before I actually pulled the trigger to buy this car. Between everything I read (typical recalls, isolated problems, etc.), I was completely comfortable enough buying the car.

Purchased it new a little over a year ago and only problem I had was a rattling B&O passenger speaker which they replaced under warranty.

Yea, it is annoying when something breaks but how I feel in the car all those other times easily makes up for it.

Hopefully all this will be behind you soon and you can finally enjoy your S4.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklyn86
Purchased it new a little over a year ago and only problem I had was a rattling B&O passenger speaker which they replaced under warranty.
My 1 week old S4 has a rattling B&O passenger speaker too!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
My 1 week old S4 has a rattling B&O passenger speaker too!
Speaker or door panel?

The aluminum trim across the top of my driver door panel rattles sometimes. The dealer has tweaked around with it, under warranty, so now most of the time it does not rattle.

I lined some Dynamat in the lower door pocket which vibrated with mid-bass (100-250Hz) notes. The door really needs to be dynamated behind the door - as Stubek has done, link below.

The driver side fuse panel rattled, before I pulled it off and re-seated it.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post6533871

Last edited by m444; 05-25-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Creatre
My S4 is STILL in the shop (over 3 1/2 weeks now and counting)..ugh! Transmission part came in from Germany supposedly today and it'll take 2-3 days to install, then reprogram the mechatronic unit. So hopefully I'll get it back next week...

In the meantime, I did call AOA and they just got back to me today saying they wouldn't extend my warrany due to this problem (only thing they said is I"m not the original owner),but the part has a 12mo/12k warranty on it.

Not thrilled as this is an awfully early major problem. I'll have to think really hard on what to do when I hit 50k miles and my warranty runs out...
Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk32
My S4 is STILL in the shop (over 3 1/2 weeks now and counting)..ugh! Transmission part came in from Germany supposedly today and it'll take 2-3 days to install, then reprogram the mechatronic unit. So hopefully I'll get it back next week...

In the meantime, I did call AOA and they just got back to me today saying they wouldn't extend my warrany due to this problem (only thing they said is I"m not the original owner),but the part has a 12mo/12k warranty on it.

Not thrilled as this is an awfully early major problem. I'll have to think really hard on what to do when I hit 50k miles and my warranty runs out...
I would sell it! Buy a 2014 S4 NEW!

Quick Reply: Need complete new Transmission at 35k miles!?!