S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need complete new Transmission at 35k miles!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to start an Audi flame throwing contest but it's reasons like this that I marked the warranty expiration date on my calendar.

I had a VW years ago that saw the inside of a service bay once every 10k miles. I was hesitant about getting into another VAG product but my wife and I agreed that it will be traded (or sold) the day before the warranty expires.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk32
I'll have to think really hard on what to do when I hit 50k miles and my warranty runs out...
Sell!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can't remember the last time I had 50k miles on a car. I won't have it that long.

If you're the long term type of guy, then I would get an extended warranty to 100k

Warranties are less expensive for cars with lower miles. It's cheaper to extend your warranty at 15k than it is @ 48k. Your more of a risk to the warranty company with higher miles.

Cars are very complicated now with all the computer controlled models and everything that can go wrong.

Most people's trannies don't go @ 35k. But any piece of machinery can fail and you be the unlucky person it happened to.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
I can't remember the last time I had 50k miles on a car. I won't have it that long.
Every car I've owned has had way more than 50k miles on it by the time I gotten rid of it. They've all been driven well past 100k. My 2013 S4 is my first German car and I'm not expecting it to be as robust or reliable as my 02 Nissan Maxima or the few Chevrolet's I've owned, but I'm not expecting it to turn to a pile of crap once the warranty runs out either. If it does it will likely be my last German car.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the dealer should work with the OP on getting into a new 2014 S4 with a manual transmission.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
My 2013 S4 is my first German car and I'm not expecting it to be as robust or reliable as my 02 Nissan Maxima or the few Chevrolet's I've owned, but I'm not expecting it to turn to a pile of crap once the warranty runs out either. If it does it will likely be my last German car.
This could be it for you then. Based on my past experience with German cars, when the warranty runs out they F'ing grenade. I'll never own a German car out of warranty again. It's more cost effective to just sell and buy a new one than to nurse one along with repairs.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
This could be it for you then. Based on my past experience with German cars, when the warranty runs out they F'ing grenade. I'll never own a German car out of warranty again. It's more cost effective to just sell and buy a new one than to nurse one along with repairs.
FWIW I sold my 2008 GLI at close to 64k miles and it never had a major issue of any sort; under warranty or otherwise. I had a few nitpicky things done before the warranty was up. The worst thing was a small oil leak somewhere that resulted in replacing a seal/gasket under warranty. Car was in great shape and I expect it will keep going if the new owner cares for it. German cars do have a bad history but maybe the newer gen is getting better?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Buckeye_S4
FWIW I sold my 2008 GLI at close to 64k miles and it never had a major issue of any sort; under warranty or otherwise. I had a few nitpicky things done before the warranty was up. The worst thing was a small oil leak somewhere that resulted in replacing a seal/gasket under warranty. Car was in great shape and I expect it will keep going if the new owner cares for it. German cars do have a bad history but maybe the newer gen is getting better?
You're more fortunate than I am. My 2002 A4 blew up hard and I spent over $7000 in 12 months nursing it along. Never again.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter
You're more fortunate than I am. My 2002 A4 blew up hard and I spent over $7000 in 12 months nursing it along. Never again.
-Early 1990s-2000s up until 2008 Audi's reliabily really sucked! I think the 2009 on up are much better or Audi would have been driven out of the US Market!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

The way I look at it is a repair is often less than a car payment. At least with forums like these you can get a feel for the long-term, typical issues these cars might have. That way you can make an informed decision on what future expenses you might have. I plan on driving this car for the next 10+ years.

My experience:
I had my '99 B5 A4 for almost 14 years (only 115K miles) and only had a few issues:
- water pump at 45K miles $1200
- ABS solenoid at ~90K miles (and 10 years) (heard this was common) $600
- rear wheel bearing ~90K miles. $200
- pesky coolant leak, that was finally fixed for $300. I think I had it for 50K miles or so, but it finally became an issue around 90K miles.
- Clutch depression-sensor (i.e. little switch) 110K miles... fixed it myself
- spark plug wires... ham-fisted by the dealer at 90K miles... long story.
- sticky on/off button on AC (poor cup holder placement plus Sonic lemonade). never fixed
- intermittent display issues with center info-display. never fixed
- misc cv-joint boot replacements (which I think was a scam at the dealer).
- rear brake pad seemed to wear out way too fast... 2x or so compared to the fronts.
*** interior held up really well

I also had an '89 VW GTi that I drove for 10yrs ~150K miles. It was pretty good. The main issues I remember:
- issues with fuel pump around 50K miles... took forever to diagnose. The spring on the pump because loose and the screen would get stick and starve the pump.
- rear brake caliper went bad, and the remanufactured replacements were also crummy. This was around 120K miles.
*** Interior held up well until my sunroof leaked and the headliner started coming down a little... not bad, imo, and I could have fixed it had I taken the time.

Quick Reply: Need complete new Transmission at 35k miles!?!