S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

No S4 hype ??? Amazes me

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No S4 hype ??? Amazes me

How come there isn't any hype or advertising for the Audi S4? The talk on the street and in all the car mags is BMW 335 this and 335i that and also the 335is... I rarely read anything about the S4. Why.? The few reviews I have read all praised the S4 and then any other future mentions just drop off.

I just traded my 335i coupe in for my 2011 S4, so I know the 335i is good, but so is the S4, if not better...??
Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the fact that it is an under the radar, decidedly un-hyped car. And that there are so many jerks driving beamers.

The other day at Lowes a guy walked by as I was getting in the S4 and he said "That's a beautiful car, what kind is it?". The car speaks for itself.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedMagma2011S4
I like the fact that it is an under the radar, decidedly un-hyped car. And that there are so many jerks driving beamers.

The other day at Lowes a guy walked by as I was getting in the S4 and he said "That's a beautiful car, what kind is it?". The car speaks for itself.
This!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Christo123
How come there isn't any hype or advertising for the Audi S4? The talk on the street and in all the car mags is BMW 335 this and 335i that and also the 335is... I rarely read anything about the S4. Why.? The few reviews I have read all praised the S4 and then any other future mentions just drop off.

I just traded my 335i coupe in for my 2011 S4, so I know the 335i is good, but so is the S4, if not better...??
Probably because the A4, a6, a8 are the big volume movers. So, no need to advertise the S4. Not many car companies advertise their high end "halo" cars due to low volume. Ever see these in a TV commercial? Vette zr-1, Mitsu Evo, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, BMW M series, Benz AMG, etc....
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Ever see these in a TV commercial? Audi R8
True. But I remember a commercial for the R8 during the superbowl a few years ago when Audi first introduced it.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You made the right decision. Audi drivers are not as concerned with the "hype" as your normal luxury car buyers. Most people buy Audi's because of the quality of the cars, not the reputation they will get for driving one. I know the first thing I did when I got my two S4's has been to remove the S4 badge from the rear. The build quality of the Audi is second to none! Driving the two back to back should give you all you need to know that you made the right decision. Come winter you will really be happy!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know why, but I got way more random compliments on my 2000 S4 than my 2011. Both red. I've only gotten one compliment on the 2011, couple of college age guys at a gas station in a moving truck coming home from school. "That's my dream car!" they said.

That said, I didn't buy this car to draw attention, so that's fine by me.

Audi's have a rep for great interiors. BMWs for handling. Magazines focus on what their audience is interested in, so it's natural they bias towards BMWs

I think BMW also has a longer history (40 years) as driver's cars in the US, and get more attention in the press as a result. Audi basically had to reboot in the US just 13 years ago and only just recently produced a car with the B8 with closer to 50/50 weight balance and RWD bias, things the driving press appreciates about BMWs.

If Audi can keep up the progress on driving dynamics and not let weight get out of control, over time they'll build more respect in the car enthusiast community.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4CE FED NOGARO
You made the right decision. Audi drivers are not as concerned with the "hype" as your normal luxury car buyers. Most people buy Audi's because of the quality of the cars, not the reputation they will get for driving one. I know the first thing I did when I got my two S4's has been to remove the S4 badge from the rear. The build quality of the Audi is second to none! Driving the two back to back should give you all you need to know that you made the right decision. Come winter you will really be happy!!!

Hype as in promotion of the S4 and its technical prowess and outstanding build quality
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Probably because the A4, a6, a8 are the big volume movers. So, no need to advertise the S4. Not many car companies advertise their high end "halo" cars due to low volume. Ever see these in a TV commercial? Vette zr-1, Mitsu Evo, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, BMW M series, Benz AMG, etc....
There was a TV commercial for the S4 months back too. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zURE7uwfFJU
Old 05-18-2011, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

The official S4 sale numbers are buried in the A4 numbers, so there is no way to tell,
but I'm positive they don't sell that many. For sure they don't lease them
because of the ridiculous residual numbers. I'm guessing they don't even sell 100/month.
There is nothing to really hype about the S4, it's unique because of the quattro
and that's about it. They should sponsor the US Ski team. Bode Miller advertising it
- that would make sense.

Quick Reply: No S4 hype ??? Amazes me