S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

No S4 hype ??? Amazes me

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Umm...you must not be aware that ALL Audis do NOT have quattro. In fact a large portion of them sold in EU don't have it at all. In the US, on the stripper A4, it's not there. You get better economy without it - less parts to move means less parasitic loss.
All Audi's do have quattro. Whether people get it or not is up to them but the option is there, so it invalidates the point the troll was trying to make about the s4 being unique because of quattro when its offered on all the vehicles.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FatalBert
All Audi's do have quattro. Whether people get it or not is up to them but the option is there, so it invalidates the point the troll was trying to make about the s4 being unique because of quattro when its offered on all the vehicles.
having quattro availible and saying they all have it is not the same thing
Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Christo123
How come there isn't any hype or advertising for the Audi S4? The talk on the street and in all the car mags is BMW 335 this and 335i that and also the 335is... I rarely read anything about the S4. Why.? The few reviews I have read all praised the S4 and then any other future mentions just drop off.

I just traded my 335i coupe in for my 2011 S4, so I know the 335i is good, but so is the S4, if not better...??
Good? Better? best? These are all relative and subjective

I had driven so many versions of the 335i (sedan, vert, coupe). Its a great car. I had also driven the M3 which IMO was the most impressive mid size sedan i have ever driven.

But Here is something that owners just dont get. Unless you get your car on a track a few times a month, you are never ever going to appreciate the full abilites of any of these cars. Their agility, precision and engineering is is amazing, especially at very high speeds. I think after awhile, it becomes a silly pissing contest on whats better because ther are so many factors that each of us look at when buying a car

Having said that, any of these cars would have worked for me from a performance point of view but I simply liked more about the S4 than the other 2. Had i thought the 335i had more to offer me than the S4, I simply would have bought it especially because its a little cheaper. Had I thought the M3's additional $18K was worth it over the S4, I simply would have bought the M3.

At the end of the day, the reasons for the S4 kept adding up and it didnt take long bfore it became a no brainer for my own personal needs and wants.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Probably because the A4, a6, a8 are the big volume movers. So, no need to advertise the S4. Not many car companies advertise their high end "halo" cars due to low volume. Ever see these in a TV commercial? Vette zr-1, Mitsu Evo, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, BMW M series, Benz AMG, etc....
uh - thats a wide range that includes supercars but i still get your point
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clochner
True. But I remember a commercial for the R8 during the superbowl a few years ago when Audi first introduced it.
the biggest commercial for the R8 was a movie called iron man
Old 05-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
Don't know why, but I got way more random compliments on my 2000 S4 than my 2011. Both red. I've only gotten one compliment on the 2011, couple of college age guys at a gas station in a moving truck coming home from school. "That's my dream car!" they said.

That said, I didn't buy this car to draw attention, so that's fine by me.

Audi's have a rep for great interiors. BMWs for handling. Magazines focus on what their audience is interested in, so it's natural they bias towards BMWs

I think BMW also has a longer history (40 years) as driver's cars in the US, and get more attention in the press as a result. Audi basically had to reboot in the US just 13 years ago and only just recently produced a car with the B8 with closer to 50/50 weight balance and RWD bias, things the driving press appreciates about BMWs.

If Audi can keep up the progress on driving dynamics and not let weight get out of control, over time they'll build more respect in the car enthusiast community.
I live in Manhattan which is filled with $100k+ cars and i get compliments nearly every time i take it out of the garage. Lot of it is the color (meteor) and surprising to most of the boards here a lot of it is people who like the stock 19s (aka the flower wheels, veggie peelers, etc.)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw an A7 commercial a couple days ago, and many A6 and A8 commercials this year.
No S4 commercials in recent memory that I've seen.

Yet Audi still charges a $900+ regional advertising fee on S4's in the western US (it's about half that for eastern US). Makes no sense, S4 customers subsidizing A6-7-8 customers

I wonder how effective TV car commercials are anyway. Most of them are downright ridiculous, emphasizing a couple cheap options that make up about 1% of the car's price. If you end up buying a car that is advertised on TV, chances are your decision had little to do with the commercial, and more to do with internet sources or other car TV programs.

The CTS-V commercial advertising the performance of the windshield wipers at 190MPH has to rank as one of the most ridiculously irrelevant of all time. Now some fool will try to hit the limits of the car in the rain on a public road...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Probably because the A4, a6, a8 are the big volume movers. So, no need to advertise the S4. Not many car companies advertise their high end "halo" cars due to low volume. Ever see these in a TV commercial? Vette zr-1, Mitsu Evo, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, BMW M series, Benz AMG, etc....

Actually, the R8 is quite AN advertised car, much more than the S4. I still have yet to seen an S4 commercial on TV. The R8 I see quite often. And the C63 AMG's I have seen a few times. Merc also has one commercial with the AMG and 2 other MERCS are doing sand donuts in the faces of 3 execs in suits
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
I saw an A7 commercial a couple days ago, and many A6 and A8 commercials this year.
No S4 commercials in recent memory that I've seen.

Yet Audi still charges a $900+ regional advertising fee on S4's in the western US (it's about half that for eastern US). Makes no sense, S4 customers subsidizing A6-7-8 customers

I wonder how effective TV car commercials are anyway. Most of them are downright ridiculous, emphasizing a couple cheap options that make up about 1% of the car's price. If you end up buying a car that is advertised on TV, chances are your decision had little to do with the commercial, and more to do with internet sources or other car TV programs.

The CTS-V commercial advertising the performance of the windshield wipers at 190MPH has to rank as one of the most ridiculously irrelevant of all time. Now some fool will try to hit the limits of the car in the rain on a public road...
american cars have to restore their bad rep. Seems like I see caddy or chrysler adds every day trying to convince the viewing audience that the standard is now set much higher than the past.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hyped or not the S4 is one of the best all around vehicles you can buy...so uniquely balanced

Fast
AWD for winter
Sport diff w/vectoring
Good looks but not obnoxious
comfortable
Stable ride
Good technology package
Limited production
Great interior
4 doors
Good interior and trunk space

on an on and on...best all around car i have owned so far