S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stupid Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
mark_nimda,

The 2011 Mustang 5.0 is a new performance level for the track. Check out this video comparison around the track. The first short part starts at the drag strip, but most of the video is driving around the track. For the non-expert driver, the Mustang was faster around the track than the M3 & almost as fast as the M3 for the professional driver.

The new 2011 Mustang GT can drive almost as fast around the track, for much cheaper. http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...deo/index.html

I still bought a S4. The AWD of Audi is nice, since there is generally very little issue with traction control kicking in or burning rubber on acceleration. The S-tronic, supercharger and superior gas mileage with subtle styling, four doors make the S4 the better car for me.
I'd still want some seat time in the stang. Numbers give you an idea but like i said, some cars are just easier to drive than others. To me, its not about bragging rights but rather enjoyment (and ease) to drive. Last stang I drove was nothing like the S4 or even the A4 for that matter. The look of the car itslef is definitely not a personal choice (one reason why I never bought porsche). Its too rugged looking for my tastes but
You got me going now so will have to get some seat time in a stang soon.

Hard to conceive its even close to the enjoyment of a 335i BMW or S4 for that kind of money (and knowing ford) but I know a few in the area who will locate one for me and let me drive one without hassle
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Muray
How was the C63? Would you recommend one over S4? I mean, besides the obvious horsepower advantage? I hear it doesn't put the power down so easily.
The C63 is powerfull car and very very loud! Loved te exhaust sound and rumble of the car. I really like the seats. They hug the hell out of you and you are going to need it too. I do see a seat design flaw though. I am a small guy and I liked the feel but can see where the design would prevent a certain circumference sized individual from even getting into

I didnt like the steering wheel of the AMG - Too thick for my liking. The interior is actually quite bland for an AMG. I never ever would have known it was an AMG had you not have told me. The past AMG's I have driven/seen have excelled with very ergonomic and sweeeet looking interiors. Not this one so the S4 blows it away on interior

IMO, doesnt handle the way i want a car to handle, thats for sure. it does have huge TQ but having a 600+ HP corvette, myself and trying to control it on a roadcourse, well, HP doesnt impress me like it use to. What impresses me is the ability to put the HP to the ground in corners. Whereas I didn take the C63on a track, there were numerous indicators telling me it would have trouble using that power in the turns.

The S4, IMO, is more predictable, more responsive and more fun to drive. The C63 has that big engine (poor on gas too) but not worth the $$$ IMO. But drive one yourself and see. You may find things you like about it, JMO

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 12-09-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
well, I have not been in a 2011. I have driven a few M3's on the track.

Dont misconstrue track times for ease of driving. These guys driving are pros and can overcome car's required effort to meet good lap times. I have driven a few M3's and those cars drive themselves - no wasted enrgy to keep the car on the course.

I test drive cars constantly (just drove the C63 AMG last weekend) so i will get into a stang when I get a chance.

I will say that One nice thing about car clubs and Hotlapping evenst is you get to atleast be passengers in cars. Many drivers will allow you to drive their car if they know you. So I have had the opporunity to drive many. One of the quickest track cars (and easy car to drive) was a cute Yellow Lotus elise I drove a few years back. Its a very small car and low HP but its a friggin go cart
through the turns. Very tough car to keep up with
Read the C&D article. Better yet, watch the video. The driver says, without a doubt, that the Mustang GT is easier to drive fast than the M3 was. He also said the MGT is a better set of shocks away from besting the M3 on the track. While still being easier to drive to boot. The MGT is NOT a straight-line car anymore.

The sad part is that's on a basic $30K Mustang GT. Imagine what a Shelby or a modded MGT will do for S4 or M3 money.

Simply, Germany needs to get their **** together because Ford is about to punk their asses.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Read the C&D article. Better yet, watch the video. The driver says, without a doubt, that the Mustang GT is easier to drive fast than the M3 was. He also said the MGT is a better set of shocks away from besting the M3 on the track. While still being easier to drive to boot. The MGT is NOT a straight-line car anymore.

The sad part is that's on a basic $30K Mustang GT. Imagine what a Shelby or a modded MGT will do for S4 or M3 money.

Simply, Germany needs to get their **** together because Ford is about to punk their asses.
Yeah that video was certainly an eye-opener for me. I've never even considered purchasing an American car (first purchase at 17 years old was a '93 G20). But now with the CTS-V and this Mustang, maybe there is some hope for the Americans.

I'm also concerned that with this new push from the environmentalists and the ridiculous CAFE standards (backed by barrack's administration), powerful V8s will become a thing of the past. I'm surprised that Ford actually used one for the new GT.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AgisA
Primetime's S4 will beat any stock 2011 Mustang
A GT500(it is a mustang) with a good driver can run better times.... most drivers aren't good though... Also, a new GT with good driver and tune would be close as well... I appreciate it though!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The 5.0 GT is actually a better drivers car than the GT500. The GT500 is still a little unwieldy at its limits. The 2011 GT500 was far better than the previous ones since they went aluminum block over the old iron boat anchor but a GT with the Ford Racing options (brakes, suspension, etc) is far more balanced and rewarding to drive.

Originally Posted by primetime
A GT500(it is a mustang) with a good driver can run better times.... most drivers aren't good though... Also, a new GT with good driver and tune would be close as well... I appreciate it though!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinS4
The 5.0 GT is actually a better drivers car than the GT500. The GT500 is still a little unwieldy at its limits. The 2011 GT500 was far better than the previous ones since they went aluminum block over the old iron boat anchor but a GT with the Ford Racing options (brakes, suspension, etc) is far more balanced and rewarding to drive.
Totally agree bud.... I took AgisA's post as if he was talking straight line performance since he referenced my car so to say.... The GT500 is faster in the 1/4 then the new GT....
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RVTS4
If your tall, forget the CTS-V coupe. I'm 6'4", and when I tried them out I could not get the seat low enough so that my head did not touch the headliner. BoB Lutz must be a short dude. As for Stangs, when my CPO ends on my B6 S4 in March I'm going to check out the Boss version. Looks like a real hooligan car to drive, which can get you in trouble...unlike the sleeper B6.
I'm 6'4 and I could fit in the CTS-V sedan without a problem at the auto show I went to last week, but the Recaros were an issue. The headrest has a bit of a corner at the base that sticks out about an inch and a half beyond the back of the seats and if you are tall, hits you in the base of the neck and seems like it would be quite irritating. Tried adjusting the headrests, but it's an issue at any position.

As for the 5.0, it's a heck of a car, but I hate the standard seats and their lack of bolstering (basically they're reupholstered seats from the Bullitt I drive now) and they still use some cheap parts on the interior and made a few design choices that just bug me (i.e. still no telescoping steering wheel). The Boss will be even worse in the cheap materials regard (the Recaros are cloth, removal of noise deadening) and good luck finding one, especially without a markup. That said, they are great driver's cars, and not just in a straight line. I do wish they had gone with a second overdrive gear on the 6 speed as they do in the GT500 rather than basically cramming an extra in between the first four of the previous 5 speed ratios, but that's a rather small complaint with the number of options they offer for rear end ratios.

All that said, I'm very happy I went with the S4. It's definitely more versatile and refined than the 5.0 and at a better price point than the CTS-V.

Last edited by helix139; 12-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are obviously diffrent conclusions on the mustang. I saw a post saying it was better than an M3. This really soundss over the top. Again, I would need some seat time for me to reach such a conclusion

I have always judged a car on how easy it is to drive and how much effort it takes through turns, the body roll, the body control etc.

I have not seen any S4 Mustang comparisons. But I did see this Motortrend video of a driver comparing an M3 VS a GT Mustang
Whereas he feels the mustang has substantial improvement over its prdecessors, he does not feel it has the steering or control of an M3. That shoud not be surprising anyone. Sure the stang numbesr look good but Pay close attention to key words and ques the drive offers during the test

Especislly pay attention to when the M3 hits a track softspot he says "Whoooa, try that in a mustang and you will be off the track" He acknowledges the midrange tq and power of the mustang and its suspension improvements buts its clear that it is not anywhere near an M3 in many categories (brake dive, body roll, control etc) It has more tq and power, thats about it

So far "its great value for the buck" is what I am hearing from the video and the driver's verbage. I'll have to get in a GT and judge for myself.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 12-09-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This pretty much sums it up...

Quick Reply: Stupid Mustang 5.0