S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all the previous posts, no way. Look up summer tires in winter on you tube or tire rack and you'll get a good idea of how they (don't) function in winter.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I live in Northern VA and almost learned the hard way last time it snowed here. DONT drive in the snow the summer tires on the car are terrible even in just a dusting of snow like this morning. I just stayed home and went into work late this morning. It's just not worth it. I thought that maybe I could get away with driving on the light snow (a dusting) around here on summer tires because the all wheel drive might make up for it like I did in my lexus, but definitely not the case at all! The summers just can't get you anywhere.

Unfortunately that is the curse of living in Northern VA in that you don't necessarily need full time snow tires, because we rarely ever get accumulating snow, but when it does happen you want to be prepared for it so what do you do? I'm looking at All-Season tires right now and will probably make the purchase very soon. I'm sure as soon as I do it will warm up and there will be no snow, but better safe than sorry I guess.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by semmes12
Yea I live in Northern VA and almost learned the hard way last time it snowed here. DONT drive in the snow the summer tires on the car are terrible even in just a dusting of snow like this morning. I just stayed home and went into work late this morning. It's just not worth it. I thought that maybe I could get away with driving on the light snow (a dusting) around here on summer tires because the all wheel drive might make up for it like I did in my lexus, but definitely not the case at all! The summers just can't get you anywhere.

Unfortunately that is the curse of living in Northern VA in that you don't necessarily need full time snow tires, because we rarely ever get accumulating snow, but when it does happen you want to be prepared for it so what do you do? I'm looking at All-Season tires right now and will probably make the purchase very soon. I'm sure as soon as I do it will warm up and there will be no snow, but better safe than sorry I guess.
*The fact is they turn into Hockey Pucks and you can't stop!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
NO! You crazy! You could kill somebody! Below 40 degrees on Summers is suicide!
And yet, people continue to think that it's only the snow that's the issue.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
NO! You crazy! You could kill somebody! Below 40 degrees on Summers is suicide!
I agree with everyone's comments about driving in snow on summer tires, but I personally haven't had any issue with simply cold temperatures. I live in the south so I rarely get snow, but winters always have temperatures below 40F and there are times when it gets down into the 20s.

My opinion is that as long as you're not driving your car aggressively the tires will be fine in cold temperatures. Yes there is diminished traction when it's cold, but I have to actually try to get the tires to break loose.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nope. Put on winter tires. Whats the point in having a fast relatively expensive awd car if you can't drive it when its cold.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by semmes12

Man, you guys freaked me out wit these 'its suicide' and 'hockey pucks' posts! Didn't have any idea these summer tires were so dangerous in cold weather and light snow. I got to work and back no problem. Just took it easy and didn't gun it. Main roads were treated well and pretty dry. Neighborhood roads had over an inch of snow and I slid a little, but was going slow, no big deal.

After reading some other tire threads on this forum, I'm leaning towards getting Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires, as they seem to retain a lot of the sportiness of the summers, and are ok in snow, which seems a good trade off.

Unfortunately none of the closest tire shops have them in stock and need to special order them. And of course we're getting an afternoon snow tomorrow and I have be up in my main office for a meeting again, so hopefully the summers will hold out...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

in most cases, i think some members on these forums can over exaggerate, but in this case, they are on point and maybe understating the severity of driving in summer tires. glad to hear you didn't have issues today out here, but please look into winter or all season tires for driving in temperatures below 40°F.

i have dunlop winter sport 3d tires and they were a blast to drive in today and completely stable in snow. they preform very well in dry and wet conditions too and are quite on the highways. tirerack.com has a LOT of info and data you can easily research and understand and compare for tires in terms of the differences in summer vs. winter and the different brands.

stay safe!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

And AGAIN....YOU CAN'T STOP!!! YOU WILL KEEP SLIDING and sliding and sliding....****CRASH**** Go to Tire Rack and order some ALL SEASONS ASAP!!! ...good grief . ... I added some DRAMA here
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I had my '10 S4 I swore that I bought it off the lot with all season tires. We had a pretty nasty snow here in Seattle and I was out driving around. I kept wondering why I remembered my B6 was way more capable than my new B8 appeared to be. I was sliding/drifting like crazy. Then it dawned on me... whooops!

I grew up in Buffalo/Rochester so it was no big deal... but if you're not used to snowy conditions or just want to be safe in general you do NOT want to be out on summer tires.

My pilot sports on my 997 have been challenging these past few weeks and it's only been cold here, not even snow or anything. On a drive to the airport at 5am a few weeks ago I got to see 3 accidents.. one a rollover, simply due to black ice, etc. It's not worth it.

Quick Reply: Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?