S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Imagine putting on low profile racing slicks with zero tread and inflating them to 70 PSI. Then imagine driving on glare ice. That's just barely worse than driving in the winter on slick roads with summer tires.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope. need A/S tires min, winter tires ideally. summer tires are hocky pucks in the cold/snow.

Bruce
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

after getting more feedback and doing more research I decided to order Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS, but they won't be in til tomorrow (Tires Plus matched tirerack.com price)

So hopefully today's snow will hold off a bit as I need to do my 80 mile commute again and its supposed to start snowing at 2...

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk32
after getting more feedback and doing more research I decided to order Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS, but they won't be in til tomorrow (Tires Plus matched tirerack.com price)

So hopefully today's snow will hold off a bit as I need to do my 80 mile commute again and its supposed to start snowing at 2...

^You're very welcome! That's what this Forum is all about. Now get those suckers mounted up ASAP!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

If the outside temp is below 40 degrees, be careful even if the roads are dry - summer tire compounds lose flexibility and there's less grip available.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Hey! You're going to run down the battery like that!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011SVT
Hey! You're going to run down the battery like that!
^See (IN THE PIC)...to whomever was driving it...I FCK$N TOLD YA!!! Look close....Ultra High Performance Summers on that sled!! Huh...look like P-Zero Rossos or maybe Dunlops!! Complete Dumb ***!!! Lucky you didn't kill anybody or in your car ...besides yourself! Unreal
Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the previous version Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS and they work fine in the snow.

Bruce
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
When I had my '10 S4 I swore that I bought it off the lot with all season tires. We had a pretty nasty snow here in Seattle and I was out driving around. I kept wondering why I remembered my B6 was way more capable than my new B8 appeared to be. I was sliding/drifting like crazy. Then it dawned on me... whooops!

I grew up in Buffalo/Rochester so it was no big deal... but if you're not used to snowy conditions or just want to be safe in general you do NOT want to be out on summer tires.

My pilot sports on my 997 have been challenging these past few weeks and it's only been cold here, not even snow or anything. On a drive to the airport at 5am a few weeks ago I got to see 3 accidents.. one a rollover, simply due to black ice, etc. It's not worth it.
I don't follow you. You say your Pilot sports on your 997 have been challenging then go on to it's not worth it? You don't take your own advise?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
I have the previous version Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS and they work fine in the snow.

Bruce
Good to hear! I think they are relatively new but it sounds like they may be better overall than the Pilots, from what I've read, so we'll see...

Quick Reply: Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?