S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter Tire Setup (Good Deal at Tirerack)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not good, 5 year old tires can have dry rot
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

I know, I was kind of pissed about it.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Dan, are U on Cape Cod? The rest of the state had near-record snow fall this past season. I think it was in excess of 100" in the suburban (Boston) area we live in.
I was thinking that also, but I think the point may have been that we don't have snowy roads often? The roads are cleared pretty quick, so much of the winter we're driving on cold pavement with dirty snow on the sides. Much of New England, at least in the southern half, typically doesn't have snowfall daily etc like found in big mountainous areas. I'm hoping an almanac prediction for rough winter is wrong...shoveling the snow banks down to window level around the driveway, twice, was not fun. No breakdown lanes on many roads around here, so stick your nose out and hope you don't get hit when there is that much snow...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
I was thinking that also, but I think the point may have been that we don't have snowy roads often? The roads are cleared pretty quick, so much of the winter we're driving on cold pavement with dirty snow on the sides.

We had our fair share of snow/ice covered roads over the past few years.

I will agree that we aren't plowing thru deep snow on a frequent basis.

I have a very steep drive and the cars can't make it up without proper winter tires with even a small amount of snow/ice on the surface.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point about steep driveways (and roads). I'm planning on winter tires regardless as I'd rather be ready. I had Blizzaks on my VW but sold them on the VW wheels that would not fit the S4. May upgrade to Alpins this time around based on numerous positive comments here and higher user ratings on Tire Rack. Price difference is only a few bucks each. Anyone have a thought on low rolling resistance (Green X) versions for winter? I see the Alpin PA3 has that option.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Blizzaks are fine, I purchased a set used the other day at an auction, $65.00 for 4 LM-25 RFT's, hardly used.

That being said for me the best all round winter tire has been the Dunlop M3 RFT or the Dunlop 3D. They are great on a variety of road surfaces, the Blizzaks are a little better in snow, but kind of wiggly on dry or merely wet surfaces.

You will do fine with these tires, I wouldn't worry about the age, as long as they have been kept out of direct sunlight it's not an issue. Just some mmore legal BS as the result of that Ford Explorer lawsuit.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone have a picture of how this size tire would look on the stock peelers?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Purchased a set of 4. $545 inc shipping. At less than half the price of most of the other 19" snow sets, its a no brainer.

Had a set of the ws-70 blizzaks on my Civic Si last year and the thing was a tank through the NY blizzards. If those could turn a light weight 17"-tired front wheel drive ricer into a snow cat, I'm gitty to see what these do on a heavy all wheel drive **** sled

Bring on the snow!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
I was thinking that also, but I think the point may have been that we don't have snowy roads often? The roads are cleared pretty quick, so much of the winter we're driving on cold pavement with dirty snow on the sides. Much of New England, at least in the southern half, typically doesn't have snowfall daily etc like found in big mountainous areas. I'm hoping an almanac prediction for rough winter is wrong...shoveling the snow banks down to window level around the driveway, twice, was not fun. No breakdown lanes on many roads around here, so stick your nose out and hope you don't get hit when there is that much snow...
hour south of Boston but that is basically what i am saying we did get alot of snow but within hours it is cleared.

I am deff going to be getting tires for winter I wont mess around with that just wondering how they are just driving around.

A co worker of mine had a VW and changes the wheels everytime we get snow which is a pain in the *** imo. He says the compound is so soft that dry roads eats the snow tires up
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tsheldrake
Anyone have a picture of how this size tire would look on the stock peelers?
It won't be for a month or 2, but I'll post up a picture of mine when I mount them up. Thanks for all the responses too.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Setup (Good Deal at Tirerack)