S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

$2000 Deposit?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2000 Deposit?!

So I "negotiated" my "deal" on a new S4. By deal I mean straight ACOA discount and loyalty incentive. My config is something that should sell in one day on the lot if you believe the "we've sold all of our S4s already at full MSRP" rhetoric and "there's so much demand that we really don't want to discount" bs that I was told. Whatever.
Then they said "We just need a $2000 deposit to proceed" Wow. Really? This is my 3rd car in 5 years from that place (the other 2 were ordered, too). Sheesh. Some people.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was asked for $3000 deposit on my fully specced S4 order in Daytona Gray. Wasn't a huge deal as my dealership is small and won't get many S4s allocated, and they honored the full 6% discount when they likely could have sold that allocation for more out of inventory. I have also bought from them in the past, I think it's just how some do business, maybe to ensure the buyer is serious.

You seem kinda wound up considering the ask was only 5% on a $60k car, with an honored discount in the bag. That said, a lot of other didn't have to put down any money to start.

Last edited by aj6; 04-27-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Sounds fairly normal as long as it's refundable.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

It was more of a surprise because my first S4 (2013) that I ordered from that dealership, I got even better pricing (invoce + $250) and they only asked for $500. Since then I bought a Macan. Maybe paid $500 deposit for it, if any (and THAT car was in demand). So, I get wanting a deposit from someone coming in cold off the street, and I get it for someone ordering Mary Kay Pink. But for an otherwise established customer ordering an otherwise normal configuration... It just surprised me. Wound up? Not so much.

As far as refundable or not... I don't know, but I will know before I fork over $2K. $500? Eh. And if it is really refundable, what's the point? (This dealership is a Sonic Automotive dealership, and they just built a brand new facility and split from being a Porsche/Audi dealer, so they're not small)

But on the other hand, hey, if you guys feel that's not unusual, I hear you. That's why I posted.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aj6
...they honored the full 6% discount when they likely could have sold that allocation for more out of inventory.
You DO realize what you are suggesting here is that if I were to, for some reason, back out of the deal prior to the sale they would potentially make MORE money because of that, right?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds normal! I have very good relationship with my dealer so when i order cars i don't have to put a deposit. When I ordered my 911 I had to do 5000$
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talbot
You DO realize what you are suggesting here is that if I were to, for some reason, back out of the deal prior to the sale they would potentially make MORE money because of that, right?
Well that's a good point. Maybe ask them in general about the deposit and why it's required because in cases like this the justification is hard to see.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't been asked for a deposit for my last 3 orders, including my S3 before my S4 order... not sure what I do to deserve this... but thought I'd share.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I admit I normally deal with folks that I have gotten to know, and I seldom order cars any more. But I have ordered many over the years and can't remember the last time I gave a deposit. The ONLY reason they ask for a deposit, other than a very old combination, is that the know it's a lot less likely you'll back out of it. It's simply a selling tool. I personally would not pay one. I'd tell them that if they don't trust me then why should I trust them.

I have a close friend who ordered a motorcycle a year ago and he did give them a deposit via a credit card. He found out three months later they never ordered the bike, they were hoping to find one they could trade for. He only found out because he was being told by the dealer they could not get one yet from Yamaha but people on the forum were telling a different story. So he called Yamaha direct and someone looked in the system and told him there was no order from that dealer. He called the dealer and they admitted it.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We've never been required --never -- to put any money down on an Audi, including the A8 we ordered in late 1995 that didn't come in for almost a year as a 1997.

My wife ordered a 2005 BMW X3 (she left the fold for a time) -- $500 deposit, fully refundable. Ordered a 2008 X3, no deposit required.

I would think a deposit on car in an odd configuration would be acceptable, especially if it was ordered in an unpopular color.

S4s are, according to my dealer, among the few cars that are in very high demand -- the others being the Q5 and Q7. For a time, the 2017 A4 was difficult to find as it had a software issue.

I wouldn't put money down, but, if you feel you must, make sure it is refundable.

Quick Reply: $2000 Deposit?!