S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 Premium Plus vs. Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I ordered my prescription Ray Bans specifically without polarization because I knew I was getting HUD and would have a TFT dash. I test drove a Q7 while wearing polarized sunglasses and knew they wouldn't do. I can't even see the screen on a gas pump if I'm wearing polarized SG's either. What (for me) little value I received from polarized sunglasses I was willing to forego to have the VC and HUD.
Well we can certainly long debate the benefits of polarized sunglasses. My point is that clearly technology exists in "lesser cars" to solve the problem, so why on earth does my "fancy car" have an illegible HUD is beyond me. It's akin Canon switching the LCDs on the back of their cameras back in ~2012 to opposite polarization - now you can see them only when you turn the camera 90 degrees. How on earth would that go thru testing. Apple did it with the first generation iPad and then learned their lessons.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stanj
Well we can certainly long debate the benefits of polarized sunglasses. My point is that clearly technology exists in "lesser cars" to solve the problem, so why on earth does my "fancy car" have an illegible HUD is beyond me. It's akin Canon switching the LCDs on the back of their cameras back in ~2012 to opposite polarization - now you can see them only when you turn the camera 90 degrees. How on earth would that go thru testing. Apple did it with the first generation iPad and then learned their lessons.
The best a manufacture can do is reflect light at an angle to reduce the challenges with viewing a head-up display through a polarized lens. This won't resolve the problem entirely since certain viewing angles will be subject to light waves being blocked since polarized glass blocks horizontal light. Unfortunately, as long as a HUD is being generated by reflecting light horizontally off a windshield we will experience difficulties viewing it through polarized lenses. The two technologies are just not 100% compatible together today (unless something new has come along).
Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I even had difficulty reading the "temperature" display on my 2014 S4 with my (then used) polarized sunglasses. My reaction is "stuff happens." I took an Acadia for a test-drive and its HUD also was very dim whilst I was wearing PSG's. I only wear sunglasses while I'm driving, letting my "transitions" lenses on my "regular" glasses perform the darkening duties on those occasions when I'm "out and about" but not driving. I know there must be good reasons for PSG's, but now that I've lived with them and without them, it seems likely that the overwhelming reason for them being offered by my LensCrafter's optician is that it increases the price of the sunglasses. In short, other than when I would have to ****-my-head to read my dashboard or the gas pump readout, I really can't tell the difference between my polarized Ray-bans and my non-polarized Ray-bans.

If you (and yours) need and/or want polarized sunglasses, nothing I have said should be interpreted to mean or suggest you should not get them -- it is important to know, however, that the HUD and some of the dashboard will be either dim or require you to turn your head 45-to-90 degrees sideways to see whatever it is you are looking at with full brightness. My wife and I just decided to replace our old polarized sunglasses with new non-polarized ones. Someone (someday) will overcome this technology conflict, of that I have no doubt.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to dig up an older thread. Can anyone with a 2018 PP confirm that the Navigation Package includes a Top View Surround Camera? I've searched through the literature and don't see it mentioned.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rkdiddy
Sorry to dig up an older thread. Can anyone with a 2018 PP confirm that the Navigation Package includes a Top View Surround Camera? I've searched through the literature and don't see it mentioned.

Thanks!
It does not.

PP: "Parking system plus with rear view camera (front and rear acoustic sensors)"
Prestige: "Parking system plus with top view camera system"

Last edited by RickNY; 06-12-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickNY
It does not.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkdiddy

Thanks!
No, a P+ with the Navigation Package does not include the Top View Camera System. You need to get a Prestige, which will get you some features not available on a P+ (Heads Up Display, Dual Pane Front Side Windows, Interior Lighting Plus Package).
Old 06-21-2018, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

One more vote for the DAP option. I bought a Prestige without it a couple of months ago. Just finished playing with OBD11 to turn everything on that I would have gotten in DAP. The only thing (I believe) you can't turn on is the adaptive cruise control. This is because the radar units required for ACC are not physically present w/out the DAP option. Everything else (lane assist, high beams) is run off the cameras. If I had to do it over again, I would hold out for the DAP. Mine had everything I wanted with that exception and the dealer was willing to deal on that particular car for reasons I will never know. Maybe because it was fully loaded without the DAP, But if you drive in any amount of traffic - and who doesn't - the ACC greatly reduces driver workload. With all of the other technology in the car, it's really easy to get distracted and miss those brake lights that came on in front of you while you were messing around with the GPS or searching for a text message. (Don't ask me how I know... and contact was not made!)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol... agree
Old 06-21-2018, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4 Play
One more vote for the DAP option. I bought a Prestige without it a couple of months ago. Just finished playing with OBD11 to turn everything on that I would have gotten in DAP. The only thing (I believe) you can't turn on is the adaptive cruise control. This is because the radar units required for ACC are not physically present w/out the DAP option. Everything else (lane assist, high beams) is run off the cameras. If I had to do it over again, I would hold out for the DAP. Mine had everything I wanted with that exception and the dealer was willing to deal on that particular car for reasons I will never know. Maybe because it was fully loaded without the DAP, But if you drive in any amount of traffic - and who doesn't - the ACC greatly reduces driver workload. With all of the other technology in the car, it's really easy to get distracted and miss those brake lights that came on in front of you while you were messing around with the GPS or searching for a text message. (Don't ask me how I know... and contact was not made!)
Damnnn, didn't know you could use the OBD11 to do all that?! You do need a Prestige model though correct? Never asked this but does the OBD11 have to stay in for all these features and more to work? or can you program and remove it?

Quick Reply: 2018 S4 Premium Plus vs. Prestige