S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

30,000 mile update

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jondin2000
I said b9 s4 has newer faster transmission....B5 S4 engine power was reduced because at that time they didn't make transmission that could handle all the power from that engine....B5 S4 was fastest 4 door sedan at the time in US... faster than M3... I wasn't gonna reply anymore because this thread is getting way off the track but some ignorant in here seems to think we can't complain once you buy an Audi
The B5 S4 was also positioned against the M3 in the market at that time, whereas now (19 years later) the market has changed substantially and that is very much not the case anymore, and nobody is pretending otherwise.

The B9 S4 is designed, marketed, and sold to be competitive against the BMW 440i Xdrive and the Mercedes C43 AMG. Literally nobody -- not any honest dealer, not the Audi marketing team, not a single automotive publication around -- is pretending an S4 today is equal to or even close to an M3 and it is simply ignorant of you to say or think that at all.

If you want to be market-competitive against the BMW M3, Mercedes C63S, etc today you go and you buy an RS4 or RS5 Sportback. This is extremely common knowledge.

All this said, any B9 S4 would smoke the everloving **** out of a stock B5 S4 on the street, the circuit or the strip, and it will be smoother, more comfortable, and get better gas mileage/maintenance longevity while doing it. This is also true of any BMW 340i today against any M3 of almost 20 years ago. Technology has come a long way.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
The B5 S4 was also positioned against the M3 in the market at that time, whereas now (19 years later) the market has changed substantially and that is very much not the case anymore, and nobody is pretending otherwise.

The B9 S4 is designed, marketed, and sold to be competitive against the BMW 440i Xdrive and the Mercedes C43 AMG. Literally nobody -- not any honest dealer, not the Audi marketing team, not a single automotive publication around -- is pretending an S4 today is equal to or even close to an M3 and it is simply ignorant of you to say or think that at all.

If you want to be market-competitive against the BMW M3, Mercedes C63S, etc today you go and you buy an RS4 or RS5 Sportback. This is extremely common knowledge.

All this said, any B9 S4 would smoke the everloving **** out of a stock B5 S4 on the street, the circuit or the strip, and it will be smoother, more comfortable, and get better gas mileage/maintenance longevity while doing it. This is also true of any BMW 340i today against any M3 of almost 20 years ago. Technology has come a long way.
Hey ******* today's rs4 has twin turbo engine B5 s4 had twin turbo or biturbo whatever you want to call it. Audi is selling new rs4 with engine already existed 20 years ago and it was a great engine. It took Audi 20 years to realize that is the engine to compete with their competitors. And the reason I mentioned B5 s4 is because you were talking like I never owned s4 before
Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey ******* today's rs4 has twin turbo engine B5 s4 had twin turbo or biturbo whatever you want to call it. Audi is selling new rs4 with engine already existed 20 years ago and it was a great engine. It took Audi 20 years to realize that is the engine to compete with their competitors. And the reason I mentioned B5 s4 is because you were talking like I never owned s4 before
Today’s RS4 makes 420HP factory.
Your previous S4 made...250HP factory? AKA a full 20 horse less than my last naturally aspirated Honda Accord?

And I’m sorry, but just to clarify, you are arguing that these cars have the same engine? I just want to make sure I fully understand that you are really honest to goodness in fact arguing that a vacuum-tube-riddled engine making 170 fewer horsepower is superior to the engine in today’s car.

If so...uh, that’s like, your opinion man. And I’m sure there’s a used example that someone will happily trade you for your B9. Best of luck, sounds like a win/“win”
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Today’s RS4 makes 420HP factory.
Your previous S4 made...250HP factory? AKA a full 20 horse less than my last naturally aspirated Honda Accord?

And I’m sorry, but just to clarify, you are arguing that these cars have the same engine? I just want to make sure I fully understand that you are really honest to goodness in fact arguing that a vacuum-tube-riddled engine making 170 fewer horsepower is superior to the engine in today’s car

If so...uh, that’s like, your opinion man. And I’m sure there’s a used example that someone will happily trade you for your B9. Best of luck, sounds like a win/“win”
Of course they not the same they have different engine covers. Of course they not exactly the same but Audi its going back to were it was 20 years ago basically. You guys keep bringing this points about b5s4 I'm not plan9to go were b5s4 was better and were b9s4 is better. Like the other guy before you said that b5s4 couldn't do there runs without heat soak and yet here we 20 years later new b9s4 can't even do 3 runs without heat soak and falling on it ***
Old 04-12-2019, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is hilarious lol
Old 04-14-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Of course they not the same they have different engine covers. Of course they not exactly the same but Audi its going back to were it was 20 years ago basically. You guys keep bringing this points about b5s4 I'm not plan9to go were b5s4 was better and were b9s4 is better. Like the other guy before you said that b5s4 couldn't do there runs without heat soak and yet here we 20 years later new b9s4 can't even do 3 runs without heat soak and falling on it ***
This must be a long-play troll, right? I hope...