S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Anyone else get a hard time for their cars exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone else get a hard time for their cars exhaust?

Stock S4 which I usually just leave in dynamic, I don’t get on it too much around town but find people just seem to notice and not like it.

my old car I could get away with some really spirited driving without raising any eyebrows

With the S4 I’ve had people motion like they want to throw stuff at it, pedestrians giving me the slow down hand gesture when I am doing the speed limit or lower

Even today a passenger I had with me noticed when I took off of from red light a truck in the opposite direction started honking when I got on it and they asked if that was for me and thought it was crazy

is dynamic only for the highway?

Are people more sensitive to any sound? (neighbor with a GT500 doesn’t get a hard time or doesn’t notice) if so glad I didn’t get an RS5 - do people just love to hate on Audis?

and do most people just drive in comfort mode around town to keep the noise down?

thanks
Old 10-31-2022, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Are you sure you're not just driving like an a**? I drive in sport mode/dynamic everywhere but at highway speed, and I cant recall anyone ever responding to the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by RickNY:
Aviator6 (10-31-2022), KevinGary (10-31-2022), kpdylan (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickNY
Are you sure you're not just driving like an a**? I drive in sport mode/dynamic everywhere but at highway speed, and I cant recall anyone ever responding to the car.
I mean it’s possible

but since the first time I noticed I was noticed I cut back and still seem to be getting attention

the passenger I had yesterday wasn’t someone I’d drive recklessly with and they noticed like I said and were like ?

don’t think I drive any differently from how I did with my old car and that was seemingly stealth - it had like no exhaust noise and was a more common car here, and I drive our SUV the same but it also flys under the radar apparently

At first I thought maybe it’s just my bad luck when I do get on it a little but too many times now for that and I’ve been driving a long time at this point

Last edited by Bozack90; 10-31-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:06 PM
AA!
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Just curious where are you located? Are there certain times, areas where this happens? I have the OEM sport exhaust which is louder than standard, always on the loudest setting and never had any issues. Now i am on a street with a Golf R, Mustang GT, and a GT-R, so maybe my neighbours have gotten used to it.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AA!
Just curious where are you located? Are there certain times, areas where this happens? I have the OEM sport exhaust which is louder than standard, always on the loudest setting and never had any issues. Now i am on a street with a Golf R, Mustang GT, and a GT-R, so maybe my neighbours have gotten used to it.
I don’t drive the car much, usually either on the weekends in the afternoon or during the week later in the afternoon

most of the cars here are quiet and a lot are buying electric, only the trucks and motorcycles are loud

and every time I’ve gotten a hard time it’s either on a street where everyone drives a little faster or one with a double yellow

but it’s not like I'm ripping through school zones or private roads or anything

and we have one vette and one mustang on the street but the vette is super quiet - the mustang owner is way more aggressive of a driver than me and the car is a lot louder but I don’t know if that gets a pass because it’s an American muscle car
Old 10-31-2022, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 288 Likes on 233 Posts

R u pushing/passing someone on that double yellow? Wouldn't expect someone coming towards you to care or even notice about a louder than normal exhaust.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:13 AM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally find the exhaust tone of the B9 S4 to be sporty yet refined befitting the character of the car.

I recommend a 2-channel dash cam in your S4 to protect yourself, sort of speak, if you are concerned about unintelligent motorists, etc, taking illegal actions against you for whatever reason (specifically unprovoked).

Last edited by ZF8; 11-12-2022 at 01:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZF8:
Bozack90 (11-01-2022), JPump (11-07-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
R u pushing/passing someone on that double yellow? Wouldn't expect someone coming towards you to care or even notice about a louder than normal exhaust.
no I stopped doing that stuff in my teens

this is all in neighborhoods in my area and it’s just my car on the road with the occasional short use of the throttle

the dashcam idea is one I’ve considered

Last edited by Bozack90; 11-01-2022 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:42 AM
AA!
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like you just happen to be where people take notice, and maybe it has something to do with also not that many s/rs Audis around so people don't expect it, although as others have said I much prefer the sound of a v6 as opposed to a 4 under throttle.
The following users liked this post:
Bozack90 (11-02-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Aside from the S4 exhaust sounding kinda like one of those ricer exhausts and doing some pops in dynamic, the reality is the vast majority of people simply can't judge the speed of a car and combined with any exhaust that's louder than your typical Toyota Camry they may think you are speeding or driving aggressively. Police officers require special training before they can visually judge the speed of a car accurately. I drive V8s and I've had people signing me to slow down, but I typically don't give them a minute of my time just knowing that they don't really know what they are talking about.

Case in point, my HOA has put up 5 mph speed limit signs on our community roads. I don't think they even realize how nearly impossible it is to deliberately drive at that speed w/o your eyes glued to the speedometer instead of looking out for children running into the street, which is what they are concerned about in the first place. It was further doubled down by a certain couple in our neighborhood that just had a baby and convinced the HOA to put up signs that read "Drive like your kids live here". Since I don't have kids anywhere, I'm still not sure what they want from me :-).

But the "Karen" wife of said couple flagged me down a few years ago and said she's been meaning to talk to me about me supposedly speeding. Admittedly I don't drive 5 mph, so doesn't anybody else I see driving, but with the sound of my '13 RS5 V8 back then, she thought I must be going who knows how fast. I typically drive maybe between 10-20mph and keeping an eye out for kids running into the streets instead of watching my speedometer. Anyway, I bluntly told her that she has no clue how fast I'm actually going and that I pay attention when driving down the road. Just because my car is louder than their boring car doesn't mean I'm speeding.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-01-2022 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bozack90 (11-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a hard time for their cars exhaust?