S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

AudiConnect - can’t define key user

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

I you ever don't get the Key User registration menu but instead get a Retrieve user menu then shut down the data module in the car and restart it again.

CAPS user name is no longer needed. But if you get a Connection Error after a long Please Wait then check that your eSIM module is OK. Mine was stuck in Service Mode and needed to be unstuck to start working.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I you ever don't get the Key User registration menu but instead get a Retrieve user menu then shut down the data module in the car and restart it again.

CAPS user name is no longer needed. But if you get a Connection Error after a long Please Wait then check that your eSIM module is OK. Mine was stuck in Service Mode and needed to be unstuck to start working.
How do you shut down the data module?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In the Right menu in the Connection Manager there is an option to shut down Data Module.

Just remember that to start it up, you need to go to the Telephone menu.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In the Right menu in the Connection Manager there is an option to shut down Data Module.

Just remember that to start it up, you need to go to the Telephone menu.
So is there a procedure to follow for this? I'm trying to setup Audi Connect and I don't ever see the Key user option, just the retrieve users option.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you disable the data module. Lock the car for a while 10 mins. Come back and re-enable the data module in the Telephone menu, you will see the Key User set up menu. I found this out the really hard way.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

if you disable the data module. Lock the car for a while 10 mins. Come back and re-enable the data module in the Telephone menu, you will see the Key User set up menu. I found this out the really hard way.
Ok so I followed your directions. Now when I try to enable the data module from the Telephone menu, it’s greyed out and when I have it selected it says “Function not available”. Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 PM
2018 A4 6MT P+, glwt/opbk

Originally Posted by treadwear
tl;dr: in your car press "log out" in MMI, then switch off the car, then go back in. Voila 'key user' field is there. Oh and username email = ALL CAPS, even if you thought it wasn't.

Ok, to avoid further irritation here's what I did to get it working:

Symptom: you got your brand spanking new Audi with MMI (in my case an SQ5), and in order to activate functionality like remote status report, remote locking, etc, you have to become the key user. However even after doing all the paperwork, the friggin' MMI menu does NOT show you a 'Key User' field. Instead you just get this lousy 'no users - refresh list of users' message.

So, here's what worked:

1) Menu -> Audi connect -> Options -> Log out (!)
2) Switch the car off and make sure the nav system actually shuts down. Your display might go into sleep mode. Want to speed this up? step out & lock your car.
3) Get back in, start ignition (not engine), go back to 'Menu -> Audi connect -> Options -> Audi connect user management'

Marvel at the beauty that is "Key user - add key user". At this point you think: Success! However, more to come:

4) As the username use your myAudi account email address that was used with the dealer activation paperwork. IN ALL CAPS. Everything. Even the ".com " or whatever you have. All in caps! Even if your registration email shows lower case.
5) Then use that silly 10 digit code (hidden behind a scratch-off surface) as the password

Now you're golden. It'll tell you that you are now the key user.

Go back to the MyAudi portal, log back in or refresh the page that has the connect services widgets, and you'll now be able to remotely set geofencing, see a report of the car, see status of doors, etc.

In the mean time, if Audi AG is reading, PLEASE update your damn documentation to show what happens if the menu isn't exactly what it shows in your PDFs. (e.g. this one is broken as it misses the whole point of becoming a key user when you are in a half activated audi connect situation: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...etup-Guide.pdf )

Lastly: if you get a 'Great there is NO myAudi account registered' then you have a) successfully typed in the 10 digit code, but b) typo'd your email address.

Security through obscurity. Please next time just have the email give us an image that we show one of the myriad cameras of the car. See "Whatsapp Web" for a MUCH easier way to solve for this problem.
I found your detailed and effective solution today while searching for the dreaded "no place to enter a key user" issue. Thanks very much and please know that your info continues to help people.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yep I had to do this the other day (2-3 days ago) this thread helped me a ton.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also try calling Dedicated Audi connect® support
(877) 505-2834
Select option 1

They walked me through the process of registering my key user...