S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B&O Stereo Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B&O Stereo Subwoofer

I just purchased a new S4 and I was wondering what people think about the B&O stereo subwoofer? I have a chance to have someone install a separate subwoofer while they are doing the clear bra and tinting on my car. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it? I know from previous experience in my 2013 Audi A6, that the Bose system greatly benefited from a separate subwoofer but I didn't know if the B&O stereo needed one.

Anyway, I just wondered what people thought about the S4 subwoofer and whether it is good enough?

Thanks...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m not a crazy basshead but I do listen to a decent bit of rap and bass-heavy music, and I do have the Bass and Subwoofer levels almost maxed out. That said, it’s PLENTY of bass for me. It’s not gonna shake the street or win any competitions, but in my opinion it’s more than enough to sound awesome with that type of music.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being in the "mature" age category, i'm a little biased -- but, as a person who USED to get into aftermarket stereos....the bass IS a little weak in this car.

This is a very subjective question, however. What sounds good to you, may sound like ****e to another.

I made a vow to myself to NEVER mess with aftermarket stereos in my last 3 cars, because I got tired of having them broken-into.
Of course, I was living in Atlanta at the time....I digress.

Honestly - for what I listen to, I'm rarely in need of more bass - and the system's shortcomings are more a reflection of a bad recording (mp3) rather than hardwired equipment.
I appreciate refinement over Raw watts anymore. For that, the B&O is a Fine system.

I have no idea how difficult it may be to wire-in an aftermarket Sub or Amp to the B&O system, but I know for sure - i would not want to mess with the wiring system in my S4.
There is a simplistic beauty to stock. And keep in mind, you might be messing with your warranty.

I have seen cars burn to the ground from bad installs before. It's not just as simple as plug-and-play these days with these fully integrated audio systems.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 05-11-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Being in the "mature" age category, i'm a little biased -- but, as a person who USED to get into aftermarket stereos....the bass IS a little weak in this car.

This is a very subjective question, however. What sounds good to you, may sound like ****e to another.

I made a vow to myself to NEVER mess with aftermarket stereos in my last 3 cars, because I got tired of having them broken-into.
Of course, I was living in Atlanta at the time....I digress.

Honestly - for what I listen to, I'm rarely in need of more bass - and the system's shortcomings are more a reflection of a bad recording (mp3) rather than hardwired equipment.
I appreciate refinement over Raw watts anymore. For that, the B&O is a Fine system.

I have no idea how difficult it may be to wire-in an aftermarket Sub or Amp to the B&O system, but I know for sure - i would not want to mess with the wiring system in my S4.
There is a simplistic beauty to stock. And keep in mind, you might be messing with your warranty.

I have seen cars burn to the ground from bad installs before. It's not just as simple as plug-and-play these days with these fully integrated audio systems.

gr
Thanks for the input. The person that would do it for me is a professional audio installer, they just happen to do it all when it comes to paint protection and aftermarket additions. They work on high end cars all of the time and get great reviews for their good work. The installer is separate from the various dealers around them that include Audi. BMW, Porsche and others. I just mention that since they work on expensive cars all of the time.

I agree, I wouldn't want to mess with the B&O system and wouldn't trust an regular audio installer to do so. It just so happens that this installer works on Audi and other expensive cars all of the time and therefore they are trustworthy.

I am not necessarily wanting something where people can hear me coming from miles away, just something to enhance the soundscape as a good sub tends to do in systems that lack a true low end. Therefore, I was just wondering if the B&O system is able to do an adequate low end or could it use a little more for a better listening experience?

Last edited by briedfox; 05-11-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by briedfox
Thanks for the input. The person that would do it for me is a professional audio installer, they just happen to do it all when it comes to paint protection and aftermarket additions. They work on high end cars all of the time and get great reviews for their good work. The installer is separate from the various dealers around them that include Audi. BMW, Porsche and others. I just mention that since they work on expensive cars all of the time.

I agree, I wouldn't want to mess with the B&O system and wouldn't trust an regular audio installer to do so. It just so happens that this installer works on Audi and other expensive cars all of the time and therefore they are trustworthy.

I am not necessarily wanting something where people can hear me coming from miles away, just something to enhance the soundscape as a good sub tends to do in systems that lack a true low end. Therefore, I was just wondering if the B&O system is able to do an adequate low end or could it use a little more for a better listening experience?
I’ve had several cars with serious aftermarket stereo work done to them, from full speaker swaps all around to dynomatting the whole car myself in my old a4, to a simple sub amp set up in my bmw coupe. I can say that the B&O system has been one of the loudest (base wise) and most crisp sound systems I have ever heard. I primarily listen to rap music and some EDM and I often find myself turning down the volume as the sound system is quite powerful. In my opinion, adding another sub would be overkill as the B&O system has great low range capabilities that other systems may lack, however that is completely subjective, just thought I would throw my two cents out there.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PGill98

I’ve had several cars with serious aftermarket stereo work done to them, from full speaker swaps all around to dynomatting the whole car myself in my old a4, to a simple sub amp set up in my bmw coupe. I can say that the B&O system has been one of the loudest (base wise) and most crisp sound systems I have ever heard. I primarily listen to rap music and some EDM and I often find myself turning down the volume as the sound system is quite powerful. In my opinion, adding another sub would be overkill as the B&O system has great low range capabilities that other systems may lack, however that is completely subjective, just thought I would throw my two cents out there.

Thanks for just signing up and giving me that information. It was great feedback, I decided to wait a bit before committing to such thing based on the feedback here. I definitely don't want the too much bass scenario with adding a subwoofer. I like a good bass, but am too old for the thumping...
Old 05-11-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by benz240
I’m not a crazy basshead but I do listen to a decent bit of rap and bass-heavy music, and I do have the Bass and Subwoofer levels almost maxed out. That said, it’s PLENTY of bass for me. It’s not gonna shake the street or win any competitions, but in my opinion it’s more than enough to sound awesome with that type of music.
Thanks. You state that you have the subwoofer turned almost all of the way up, do you get any rear shelf rattle from that? I guess that also a concern of mine since I also listen to some bass heavy music, just not as loud as I used to.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briedfox
Thanks. You state that you have the subwoofer turned almost all of the way up, do you get any rear shelf rattle from that? I guess that also a concern of mine since I also listen to some bass heavy music, just not as loud as I used to.
Only certain songs with a specific frequency of bass/sub-bass that can cause a very subtle buzz in the back deck, but nothing that I’ve become annoyed with enough to chase down the cause. I have read about others who have done some more investigation and the solution is a simple addition of foam in specific areas.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a TSB for the rear deck rattle.

Had mine done a few months ago, including a non-tsb rattle from the Front center speaker.
Dealership was no-questions-asked on either of those fixes.

gr
Old 05-12-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the B&O system is an extremely balanced system so long as you are giving it a high quality source. It does subject itself to a few rattles as GR noted, but those are solvable.

If I were to do one audio-related thing to this car it would be dynamat in the front doors, rear deck, and possibly rear doors.

Quick Reply: B&O Stereo Subwoofer