S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

It's also a function of the dealer distribution network. In Europe land is in short supply so dealers don't keep huge inventories of cars on the lot. This leads to most vehicles being custom orders. In North America, with it's greater supply of land, large dealer lots with their huge inventories are an integral part of the distribution network and this leads to most vehicles being sold off the lot.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Android Auto also supported?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Is Android Auto also supported?
Yes.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
How did you spec your car @markcincinnati??

I'm considering:

Gotland Green
Rotor Gray standard interior
Technology pkg
Sport pkg
Black Optics
Carbon Fibre trim
I took delivery on Saturday (two days ago):
  • Daytona Gray Pearl
  • Magma Red Nappa Leather
  • Prestige configuration
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • Audi Beam Rings
  • Summer, MAX Performance Tires on the 18" standard S4 wheels
Old 05-01-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I will give Car Play one last try -- the fact that it disables the MMI is, as far as I'm concerned, a reason to NOT use it (Apple). The potential features I liked when I was "trained" on the thing are not very user friendly.

My bet is this:

Since my wife and I have had, literally, dozens of Audis since 1977 and were VERY early adopters for things like Sat Nav, back in 1999 -- meaning we upgraded to MMI when it became available in 2004, then again in 2008, 2014 and now 2017 (for the 2018 S4) -- that we're not going to be fans of Car Play.

On the other hand, first time Audi buyers, who have no history with MMI, will probably think Car Play is just dandy.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I will give Car Play one last try -- the fact that it disables the MMI is, as far as I'm concerned, a reason to NOT use it (Apple). The potential features I liked when I was "trained" on the thing are not very user friendly.

My bet is this:

Since my wife and I have had, literally, dozens of Audis since 1977 and were VERY early adopters for things like Sat Nav, back in 1999 -- meaning we upgraded to MMI when it became available in 2004, then again in 2008, 2014 and now 2017 (for the 2018 S4) -- that we're not going to be fans of Car Play.

On the other hand, first time Audi buyers, who have no history with MMI, will probably think Car Play is just dandy.
My wife and I have owned 4 Audi's since 2001 and have a '13 Q5 w/ MMI. We've had a MBZ with COMMAND as well (dreadful...). I'm pretty comfy with MMI and really want the VC but @ $3,100 was looking for comments. Sounds like $ well spent. Thanks as always for you smart, informed commentary.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first got my A4, I was very mixed on CarPlay. Visually, it doesn't integrate very well with the MMI, Apple Maps doesn't display in the VC and it was pretty flaky in terms of connectivity.

Fast forward 7 months and I plug in the iPhone and use CarPlay almost every time that I get in the car. I've come to appreciate the ability to easily get directions before I get in the car, free traffic and the ease of use of the Spotify and Podcasts apps. iOS updates have seemingly improved the flaky connectivity as well.

Apple Maps certainly isn't as visually impressive as the virtual cockpit, but from a functionality perspective it does everything that I need and I don't need to pay $25+ per month to get get traffic data like with Audi Connect. I still use some of VC features like customizing gauges, but the built-in navigation isn't one of them.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drewba
When I first got my A4, I was very mixed on CarPlay. Visually, it doesn't integrate very well with the MMI, Apple Maps doesn't display in the VC and it was pretty flaky in terms of connectivity.

Fast forward 7 months and I plug in the iPhone and use CarPlay almost every time that I get in the car. I've come to appreciate the ability to easily get directions before I get in the car, free traffic and the ease of use of the Spotify and Podcasts apps. iOS updates have seemingly improved the flaky connectivity as well.

Apple Maps certainly isn't as visually impressive as the virtual cockpit, but from a functionality perspective it does everything that I need and I don't need to pay $25+ per month to get get traffic data like with Audi Connect. I still use some of VC features like customizing gauges, but the built-in navigation isn't one of them.
Thanks for your thoughts as well drewba. I'm going to have to spend some seat time in the car and see for myself.