S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dear Audi...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm ambivalent to the screen issue. I prefer the clean look of the retractable screens in my A6 and Q7, but at the same time the screens are never retracted when I'm driving, so the fact that they can retract is redundant.

What I wish Audi had done with the S4/S5 sportback is to provide a larger gas tank. I've seen it being listed at 56L, which provides a range of roughly 560 km (340 mi). My A6 has a 73L tank, so why can't the S4 have something approaching 65L? Small tanks have always bugged me.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
I took a look at the GS 350 dash you pointed out earlier and it's definitely one way to fit a bigger screen without raising the dash much. It's like a horizontal-stacked method, which is what I had in a Honda Accord a while back. It's a valid way of getting around the layout problems, but I never cared for it that much, the tunnel effect was good for shading the screen in the daytime but it threw light all over the sides of said tunnel at night and I really wasn't fond of it.

I'm not trying to change your thoughts on it, just throwing out my experience with it. I think with smaller cars in general you'll always be presented with a real estate problem in the center of the dash.

One more note: back when I driving cars without screens, I had the suction cup garmin which I would always place in the low center of the windshield for the best sightline compromise. I'm an industrial engineer by education, if not by trade, and while I never studied vehicle ergonomics specifically there is a huge advantage of having said screen in the secondary viewing angle as opposed to a tertiary zone. For a taller driver, a mid-dash internally mounted screen is definitely pushing outside where you really would want it to be in general.

My actual trade is flying very large jets, and the visual information management is a huge deal while airborne. Cars obviously aren't airplanes, but the lessons applied are very similar. We want our cars to be majestic and sleek, and I think Audi is trying very hard to meet the desire for safety/ergonomics and style right in the middle.
Good post. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
I took a look at the GS 350 dash you pointed out earlier and it's definitely one way to fit a bigger screen without raising the dash much. It's like a horizontal-stacked method, which is what I had in a Honda Accord a while back. It's a valid way of getting around the layout problems, but I never cared for it that much, the tunnel effect was good for shading the screen in the daytime but it threw light all over the sides of said tunnel at night and I really wasn't fond of it.

I'm not trying to change your thoughts on it, just throwing out my experience with it. I think with smaller cars in general you'll always be presented with a real estate problem in the center of the dash.

One more note: back when I driving cars without screens, I had the suction cup garmin which I would always place in the low center of the windshield for the best sightline compromise. I'm an industrial engineer by education, if not by trade, and while I never studied vehicle ergonomics specifically there is a huge advantage of having said screen in the secondary viewing angle as opposed to a tertiary zone. For a taller driver, a mid-dash internally mounted screen is definitely pushing outside where you really would want it to be in general.

My actual trade is flying very large jets, and the visual information management is a huge deal while airborne. Cars obviously aren't airplanes, but the lessons applied are very similar. We want our cars to be majestic and sleek, and I think Audi is trying very hard to meet the desire for safety/ergonomics and style right in the middle.
It could be a pilot-oriented mindset contributing to our perspective of this design. I'm also a long time heavy pilot (Air Force), and completed a masters degree in human factors in aviation systems, so I tend to heavily scrutinize the design of human-machine systems.

For me, I appreciate what the Audi research and design engineers have done with the A4/5 S4/5 platforms, especially as a study in human factors and ergonomics. From the MMI **** in front of the shifter which acts as a naturally positioned wrist rest, the placement of the MMI screen with its optimal viewing angle and sight lines, to the control interfaces on the steering column and center console with their intuitive composition and feedback. The Virtual Cockpit in particular is a powerful and well done design: a screen that is dynamic and customizable, large, wide and high resolution with a dedicated Nvidia graphics processor. The VC and MMI screen work in concert to display a wealth of data and useful information and entertainment enhancements. Throw in the HUD (which I simply can't turn down, as a pilot) and the driver is augmented into a virtual super human. I felt a bit like Iron Man on my test drive of the S4 prestige (German spec, which differs only cosmetically from US spec).

I get that some of you may not like the look aesthetically, but all I see is a masterpiece in engineering design from a first-rate vehicle manufacturer.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 04-19-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have another question for y'all. How is the stereo in the new 4s (the B&O)? The Bose in the A7s is a dissapointment - damn near no bass at all in particular.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Absolutely LOVE the graphic!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I have another question for y'all. How is the stereo in the new 4s (the B&O)? The Bose in the A7s is a dissapointment - damn near no bass at all in particular.
I briefly (24 months) had a 2012 Acura TL Advance (which seems somewhat like an S4 Prestige -- in its intentions). I have no idea what the manufacturer is that Acura sources its in-car sound systems from, but I have never heard a "standard" sound system that good (it had DVD-Audio, too). Bass was much stronger than the 2009 A4 Prestige that I had just come out of. The B&O tied the Acura system for clarity though.

I find the bass on my 2014 S4 Prestige to be hit or miss (mostly miss). I have been loaned almost every Audi marketed (exception I have never been loaned an R8); I find every Audi system seems to focus on getting the clearest sound with the greatest presence possible. I had a new A8 overnight, and it had the expensive system with the trick speakers that rise out of the dash (those speakers improve clarity and treble response).

There seems to be a healthy aftermarket that promises a much better aural experience than virtually any auto manufacturer offers. I would NEVER attempt to replace the Audi OEM system, as it seems to be tightly integrated with the MMI.

OK, here goes: I had a new A4 Prestige on loan for about 24 hours (while my S4 was in for a service interval). The sound system was a huge step up from the 2014 S4. The "stereo" effect possible moved the speakers beyond the doors, as if they were floating about a foot beyond the front doors.

Clarity -- again has taken a step up. The mid-range and top-end have taken another step up in quality. Bass, too, is stronger than that in my 2014. Since I had the car for so long I did play some CD's and paired my phone with the system which gave me access to my 1,000+ song iTunes library.

I played some of the best produced artists I could find -- including the Love Over Gold album (Dire Straits), Pink Floyd's remastered catalog, Diana Krall, Jamie Johnson (Place Out on the Ocean, despite its Mercedes mention), Nora Jones, Donald Fagan, Acoustic Alchemy, Alabama Shakes, AWOLNATION, Beck, George Ezra and some remastered Led Zep.

Unfortunately, the bass available runs the gamut of boomy (which is great since you can turn it down, but when you do so, some of the bass in "less bass heavy music" sounds artificially thin) to strong. George Ezra made the door speakers "rattle" to the point of being uncomfortable. Yet the very strong bass from AWOLNATION and Genesis (Selling England by the Pound) was spot on, strong, no over-extension and able to be "felt" perhaps even more than "heard." So, I'd give the new B&O high marks for clarity and presence, and "fairly good" to "good" for the bass.

The sound system IS a noticeable upgrade from the previous generation "top spec" B&O system -- but a non-boomy sub-woofer is clearly something that needs to be worked on.

Try some of the songs from Jewel -- sure, they have a ton of bass, but it seems difficult to turn the volume up without noticeably stressing the woofers in the doors. Eleni Mandell's touching "Anyone Like You," from Let's Fly a Kite is a powerful love song with seismic bass -- unfortunately the Audi B&O system falls short on this. Yet a lot of the Creedence Clearwater Revival catalog has never sounded better.

The point is, a lot of post 2000 era songs were able to be produced -- due to the available technology -- with strong bass. Some of the B&O systems' treatment of these powerhouses reveals a speaker and amplifier system that apparently approaches getting "out of breath" a few dB earlier than some of us would like.

On the other hand -- Audio Books have never sounded better.

Grade B+ sometimes achieving an A-.

Still not quite as good as the Acura system -- but closer than ever, at least.

I'm still looking forward to getting my new S4 -- maybe I'll stick to classical, since the sound system has virtually no problem with that genre.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-19-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't my 'normal' genre, but I gotta say that "Down the Road" by C2C sounds downright spectacular on the 2013 S4 B&O system (at least to my aging ears). It is pretty treble-heavy though.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:13 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2015 A3 B&O was incredible, same for our Q5. We have SONOS at home, including the subwoofer, and the Audi sound while in the cabin rivals that level of quality. I expect even better in the S4.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for,the input. Mark, we also had a 2012 TL Adavance. It was a very good system. I've owned a lot of vehicles. My two favorites I've had were the Harmon Kardon in my 2012 BMW 550 which was my favorite. I've had three Lexus with Levinson. A 2010 GS - pretty good, 2014 GS, better, our current 2016 GX460 - sensational.