S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Factory Delay for Audi line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering your order date was end of July, a 30 day delay is accounted for in the complete factory shutdown that occurs every August (worker holidays and general maintenance). I asked about this during a tour at Ingolstadt earlier this summer, it's about a 3 hour drive from my house. Your build likely started after the factory reopened. Did they provide any other dates for you? They should be available, odd that you would get a somewhat ambiguous response.

It's all about the timing around August though. Someone on this thread reported an order date of mid July, so their build happened just prior to the scheduled break. Someone ordering 3 weeks after you would have theirs built close to the same time as yours after the reopening. What happens after the build becomes a bit more loose and depend on destination transportation nodes creating timing differences in delivery. Hound them to get exact build and movement dates, they should have those.

This also jives with my ordering experience of a US spec S4 to be delivered locally in Germany. When I was setting up my custom order in July I was quoted a month longer than normal. When I pulled the trigger in Sept the timeline was back to normal. Although there is a lot more red tape to receive my car here. You would think it would take a month less since it doesn't have to cross the Atlantic, and instead only goes 180 miles by truck. But it goes through more delays and inspections to be released "into the wild" in Bavaria.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 10-04-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
Considering your order date was end of July, a 30 day delay is accounted for in the complete factory shutdown that occurs every August (worker holidays and general maintenance). I asked about this during a tour at Ingolstadt earlier this summer, it's about a 3 hour drive from my house. Your build likely started after the factory reopened. Did they provide any other dates for you? They should be available, odd that you would get a somewhat ambiguous response.

It's all about the timing around August though. Someone on this thread reported an order date of mid July, so their build happened just prior to the scheduled break. Someone ordering 3 weeks after you would have theirs built close to the same time as yours after the reopening. What happens after the build becomes a bit more loose and depend on destination transportation nodes creating timing differences in delivery. Hound them to get exact build and movement dates, they should have those.

This also jives with my ordering experience of a US spec S4 to be delivered locally in Germany. When I was setting up my custom order in July I was quoted a month longer than normal. When I pulled the trigger in Sept the timeline was back to normal. Although there is a lot more red tape to receive my car here. You would think it would take a month less since it doesn't have to cross the Atlantic, and instead only goes 180 miles by truck. But it goes through more delays and inspections to be released "into the wild" in Bavaria.
Yes they didconveyed a earlier allocation date which was misleading.
order created July 20
factory submitted 7/24/17
Production complete 10/27/17
Week of prod 4317
Ship departure 11/5/17
Domestic port arrived 11/26/17
Dealer delivery 11/22/17-12/12/17
very misleading
Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon44
We ordered it in Ft Lauderdale. My S5 came in the end of August after three months....no issues.
They had build date two weeks ago. This S4 is for my wife and she is being patient.
Honestly I think they made up a story and promised me an earlier slot to keep me calm which is why I posted this inquiry.
If there is a factory wide delay others would have heard too!
there are indeed delays for th SQ5/Q5 production line. I don't know about any others, but if you want to see go check the Q5/SQ5 MKII subforum.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
there are indeed delays for th SQ5/Q5 production line. I don't know about any others, but if you want to see go check the Q5/SQ5 MKII subforum.
Thank you. That helps.