S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

How do you turn on the fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you turn on the fog lights?

thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Under the steering wheel, to the left, is a little cubby. If you open that up you'll find a set of books, one of them being the main operating manual. In there you will find a section about headlights (easily found thru the Index at the end of the book), and that will lead you to this gem. Now they don't call it Fog lights and we got robbed of the rear fog light, too, but the gist is the same

Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stanj, what do you mean by "we got robbed of rear fog lights as well"? Do some S4s not come with the rear fogs? Also with the "All Weather Lights", how does it reduce glare? I know our "fog lights" are more so like cornering lights, does turning them on affect the headlights too?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Meme Yo Girl
Stanj, what do you mean by "we got robbed of rear fog lights as well"? Do some S4s not come with the rear fogs? Also with the "All Weather Lights", how does it reduce glare? I know our "fog lights" are more so like cornering lights, does turning them on affect the headlights too?
At some point, Audi removed the rear fog lights from the S4, so we don't get them anymore. Not even optional.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

@Meme - there was a mid-production cycle change to the 2018 S4 in the United States which deleted the rear fogs along with making a few other changes e.g. USB port location. If you have the rear fog button you have the lights, if you don't you don't. 95% of Audi buyers in the USA don't even know how to properly use rear fogs and would drive around with them on on a clear night which is just as blinding to other drivers as a malfunctioning stuck-on brake light, which I imagine had something to do with Audi's decision to axe them.

I don't find the forward fogs on this car very effective. I've driven this car in some real nasty stuff (Winter Storm Jaxon from late January this year caught me for 5 hours at night driving Wyoming's Togwotee pass...I was one of the only cars on the road, but it was Sat PM and I had to be back in Minnesota by Mon AM!) and you are correct that all they do is turn the two cornering lights on which really only gives you a wider view of the road and does almost nothing to help with forward visibility or glare reduction. Perhaps it is more effective on the adaptive matrix LED front lights that Europe gets, but on our US cars it seems the application is less about seeing the road and more about making sure you are seen on it...which to be fair is also a very important safety application.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
95% of Audi buyers in the USA don't even know how to properly use rear fogs and would drive around with them on on a clear night which is just as blinding to other drivers as a malfunctioning stuck-on brake light, which I imagine had something to do with Audi's decision to axe them.
I have lived in So Cal since 1976 and there are many more MB, Volvo, BMW drivers than Audi drivers who turn on their rear fogs on any given night clear or otherwise. Having said that, I don't mind them gone from any car.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
@Meme - there was a mid-production cycle change to the 2018 S4 in the United States which deleted the rear fogs along with making a few other changes e.g. USB port location. If you have the rear fog button you have the lights, if you don't you don't. 95% of Audi buyers in the USA don't even know how to properly use rear fogs and would drive around with them on on a clear night which is just as blinding to other drivers as a malfunctioning stuck-on brake light, which I imagine had something to do with Audi's decision to axe them.

I don't find the forward fogs on this car very effective. I've driven this car in some real nasty stuff (Winter Storm Jaxon from late January this year caught me for 5 hours at night driving Wyoming's Togwotee pass...I was one of the only cars on the road, but it was Sat PM and I had to be back in Minnesota by Mon AM!) and you are correct that all they do is turn the two cornering lights on which really only gives you a wider view of the road and does almost nothing to help with forward visibility or glare reduction. Perhaps it is more effective on the adaptive matrix LED front lights that Europe gets, but on our US cars it seems the application is less about seeing the road and more about making sure you are seen on it...which to be fair is also a very important safety application.
Hmm interesting. Mine does have the rear fogs which is why I ask. I've used them like once when i was driving in a pretty heavy snow storm and i agree too, im sure a majority of people would not use/misuse them anyway. Ive seen plenty of drivers who have rear fogs driving with them turned on a clear night. but at the same time id rather have them and not use them, than to not have them and need them. but hey im sure Audi had there reasons lol. and yeah the front "fogs" really just widen the beam a little, dont really see a "glare reduction" when used in slow/rain/fog. i usually keep them off cause i like the fade effect they have as cornering lights lol. I wish US regulations didnt stop them from offering the Matrix LEDs.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't turn it on!!!???

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
At some point, Audi removed the rear fog lights from the S4, so we don't get them anymore. Not even optional.
my 2017 A6 I'd just turned in had rear fog option but that's not why I'm here…picked up a 2019 S4, yes not rear fog option but what's with the bumper fogs!? Can't turn it on!? My second day with this, it really bothers me! Is it a fake cover!?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kamikazinyc
my 2017 A6 I'd just turned in had rear fog option but that's not why I'm here…picked up a 2019 S4, yes not rear fog option but what's with the bumper fogs!? Can't turn it on!? My second day with this, it really bothers me! Is it a fake cover!?
Those are called reflectors meant to help you see there is a car in front of you when the driver neglects to turn headlights/taillights on in the dark. Thanks to DRL's, there's an increasing number of those people every day.