S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects

All wise and all knowing B9 community!

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem. Upgraded from my faithful iPhone 7+ to the new and shiny iPhone XS Max.
My CarPlay would disconnect at random.

Seems to be bugging a lot of Audi owners that CarPlay randomly disconnects.

TLR - most folks on the support thread was using iOS 12 and devices like the iPhone X worked fine.
I've updated to iOS 12.0.1, disabled the USB security, and swapped out cables to the one in the box
and still random.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8565708

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!
-GTSX
Old 10-16-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't have that phone but did see a similar thread on the A5/S5 forums: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...s-max-2960556/
Old 10-16-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ha! The OP on the A5 form took my Apple Community Post and just changed "S4" to "A5". Imitation is the best form of flattery :-)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had multiple connection issues with my 7+ since I got the car new. They're still intermittent, and really no rhyme or reason as to what and why.

I have been delaying taking the latest iOS12.1 from Verizon, for fear of newer issues with carplay.

In addition, I am one month from "paying off" my phone, and as conspiracy theorist as it sounds, I still don't trust the manufacturers and providers to not slip a little "special" algorithm into my update to make my battery die just a bit sooner and entice me to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Right now, my 7+ is 100% (carplay bugs notwithstanding) and I'd like to enjoy a cheaper monthly phone bill for a while. I have no complaints, issues, or problems with my 7+.

gr
Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also upgraded to the Max from a 7+ too lol. And yes I've been having the connectivity issue as well. I never really used carplay much with the 7+ as I mostly use Google Maps and it wasn't supported so I can't really comment if i had this problem with the old phone. But with the Max it disconnects within minutes of plugging in, running Google Maps and Spotify. It even ends the navigation I had running and have to reenter the destination again. Very frustrating as I was really looking forward to using Google Maps on CarPlay. I haven't tried using a new cable but will give it a shot and see what happens. I wish the maps would also show up on the Virtual Cockpit instead of just showing a compass, but for now I'd rather have them fix the connection issue first lol
Old 10-16-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No issues here, working great with both phones...

Another data point... CarPlay is working great with both of our new iPhone XS Max 64Gig units. We are using the CarPlay interface most every drive.
iOS 12.01 with Xfinity Mobile (uses Verizon)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I thought it was something wrong with the cable that came with our Audis. I've been experiencing it every day on my commute to and from work. Also have the XS Max with the 12.0.1 system. It's been disconnecting intermittently, usually happens 10 minutes into the drive, sometimes only once per commute, other times it can disconnect/reconnect for 3-4 times in a row and stay fine for the rest of the commute.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:03 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Setings

Fixed the issue I was having with disconnects, and many others have said this also. Doesn't wipe your phone, just resets some of the minor settings.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's rock solid with my 5S, 6S and XS but used to do that on my 6S with iOS 12 beta and 12.0.
I fixed it by going to settings -> general -> profiles and it wound up being my corporate profile and Comcast wi-fi profile causing issues..

Having either would cause it to intermittently refuse to unlock automatically, and just straight-up disconnect in use, disconnect listening to music, disconnect when transitioning (music -> incoming phone call or the opposite).
Old 10-22-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone having issues with the phone freezing up and restarting? and then getting stuck on the black screen with the loading icon? Its been happening to me for the past few days, and only when im in the car on bluetooth. Like if i have google maps and spotify running, it will just freeze up and be stuck in that loop until i do a hard reset. reallly annoying me now

Quick Reply: iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects