S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Mileage Check In: How are your Michelin PS A/s's Wearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_C
I don't have the PSA's but the Korean tire, forget the brand.

I was really disappointed when I saw what tire it had but honestly they are incredible. I've had all the Michelin high performance tires and these are easily on par if not better.

The downside is they wear like mad. I was going to rotate at 10K miles and they were done by then. My rears are 7/32's but the fronts are barely 3/32's and going down fast. I also do not baby my car but I was surprised by the wear level. My PSS's on my '14 S4 lasted me close to 25K miles and I drove that the same.
Hankook EVO's, I believe.
And I agree, wasn't pleased to see what came on the car, but they really aren't too bad.
I retired mine with 7/32's, and mounted the Michelins.
Hopefully the Pilots will last the duration of my lease, and the Hankooks will get remounted when the car gets returned.

I will say, the Hankooks did pretty good at the track, but I have nothing to compare them to, as my track experience is limited.
The handling (and noise) difference between the Summer Hankooks and the A/S pilots is night and day.
I thought about putting the Summers back on, just because I missed the handling, and not pleased with the noise off the Pilots.

gr
Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the A/S 3+'s -- quietest tire I've ever had. I have almost 9,000 miles on them. Rotated once. I get 5K oil changes and plan to rotate NOW every 10K. Also had an all-wheel alignment when first put on.

They look new. I keep the fronts +2 pounds over the rears.

I would buy again -- came from the Continental Extreme DWS 06's, which I thought were very good (at the time). The Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s are better.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I have the A/S 3+'s -- quietest tire I've ever had. I have almost 9,000 miles on them. Rotated once. I get 5K oil changes and plan to rotate NOW every 10K. Also had an all-wheel alignment when first put on.

I would buy again -- came from the Continental Extreme DWS 06's, which I thought were very good (at the time). The Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s are better.
I've been comparing the DWS06 and the A/S 3+. Nearly every review I read about the A/S gripe about the loud noise from these tires. How has your experience been different?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
I've been comparing the DWS06 and the A/S 3+. Nearly every review I read about the A/S gripe about the loud noise from these tires. How has your experience been different?
i believe the noise complaints have been from those with 19’s. The 18’s are pretty quiet on mine.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickNY

i believe the noise complaints have been from those with 19’s. The 18’s are pretty quiet on mine.
That's correct. Seems crazy, but correct.

My 19" Pilots are wearing well -- just rotated at about 15k miles, and wearing reasonably even.

still noisier than i THINK they should be in relative comparison to the Summer's that came on it -- but very good tire overall.

I might be tempted to try the Conti's or Pirellis next time around.

gr
Old 10-04-2018, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNY

I have 19’s and went with 255/35/19 A/S 3+ tires. After 1K miles on them, tires have been as quiet as the Hankook summers originally on the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Qbruin

I have 19’s and went with 255/35/19 A/S 3+ tires. After 1K miles on them, tires have been as quiet as the Hankook summers originally on the car.
How did you decide on 255 rather than the recommended 245?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
How did you decide on 255 rather than the recommended 245?
Some of the other forum members cited that the recommended 19" tire size for B8 S4s and B9 A5/S5s is 255/35/19, so they went with a "+" in tread width on their B9s and most (or all) have not had any fitment issues. You can probably search for "255" and "tires" for the discussion threads in this forum.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati

Mark, are the Mich 3+ tires as quiet as the DWS 06?

I had the DWS on the 335i and the DWS 06 on the 340i.
The DWS were quiet and remained that way for their whole 25K life with me.
The DWS 06 were quiet at first, and within about 7K miles started getting louder with a constant, "rrrrrrrrrrrrr" on concrete highway surfaces.
And by the time I took them off and returned the lease they were louder still.

Also, on both of the BMW 3's, the setup was staggered with wider rears over fronts, so no proper rotation.
The DWS wore well with the rears, obviously, having noticeably greater wear, but the rears still have a about 1/10 of tread before the wear indicator.
The DWS 06 rears were worn to the wear indicators, and I had severe hydroplaning towards the end.
Overall, I preferred the DWS over the newer 06.
They both have noticeable softness in steering response that was mostly corrected by increasing the tire pressure +4-5psi front and rear.

My S4 has summer Bridgestone S001 tires.
They have quite decent grip dry and wet.
However, they are mid-loud on concrete.

I ordered the same Mich AS3+ tires as you, W speed rating, from Costco. They are in and I may have them installed this weekend.
Tire Rack reviews say they have excellent steering response, more like summer tires, and that they are a bit louder than the DWS 06.
The Pirelli P-Zero AS+ also had great reviews, and were rated as the best ride and quietest among these 3 tires.
So, I'm a bit concerned that the Mich AS3+ may be on the loud side.

What is your experience between the AS3+ and DWS 06?

I'm not that concerned about winter/snow traction.
The DWS 06 were decent in the winter, and acceptable on snow even with both of my RWD 3 series.
Our S4s have AWD, and I recall my 2006 A4 quattro doing very well in the snow even with UHP AS tires that didn't rate well for snow.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update:

13k total miles
7/32 front - 6/32 rear
Rotated twice.
PSI fr: 42 / rr: 38

Bumped factory recommended PSI to even out wear,as quattro tends to feather the edges HEAVILY, esp. on the fronts.

Noise levels still a bit higher than summers, but steady - not better or worse.

Got into a serious snow-storm over thanksgiving: tires were decent in unpacked fluffy stuff, up to 6".
Didn't do well on packed and icy roads - but to be expected for a non-winter / all season tire.
Handled wet, slushy, day old roads VERY well.

Dry handling continues to be adequate for an A/S. With Drive mode in Dynamic (or rear diff in full sport mode) I can step the back end out on dry pavement around tight turns.
Wet traction (above freezing) is EXCELLENT! I live near the NC mountains, and regularly get to bomb this thing through the mountains in varying weather conditions.

I'm on track to get 25k to 30k miles out of this set -- which is true to my expectations.

My suggestion, as with ALL tires, however - is that you have to pay attention to tire pressures and proper rotation. Especially on a car like the S4.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 12-13-2018 at 04:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Mileage Check In: How are your Michelin PS A/s's Wearing?