S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Newbie and Need some Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
As long as it identifies which tire it thinks is low, I'm okay with whatever method they use. From the owner's manual, it looks like the 2018 S5 sportback that I've ordered does that, but some confirmation from folks who actually have the car would be helpful. My current Lexus IS350 uses direct TPMS but doesn't show any tire pressure values, so I have to manually track down the problematic tire(s) when it complains.
It does indicate the location of the low tire. I ordered my car with summer tires and bought all season Contis from Tire Rack. Dealer installed new tires when the car was delivered. Over the next few months I developed slow leak in the rear passenger tire which the indirect TPMS warning told me exactly which tire. Turns out there was a tear in the tire bead under the wheel rim. It wasn’t clear if it was a defect or installation fault, but the dealer just reimbursed me for a new one. +1 for my Audi dealer CS. Luckily I only had ~3000 miles on the car/tire so I only needed to replace the damaged one.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhbrew
It does indicate the location of the low tire. I ordered my car with summer tires and bought all season Contis from Tire Rack. Dealer installed new tires when the car was delivered. Over the next few months I developed slow leak in the rear passenger tire which the indirect TPMS warning told me exactly which tire. Turns out there was a tear in the tire bead under the wheel rim. It wasn’t clear if it was a defect or installation fault, but the dealer just reimbursed me for a new one. +1 for my Audi dealer CS. Luckily I only had ~3000 miles on the car/tire so I only needed to replace the damaged one.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrive2Much
I guess at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. Had I known before, I still would have gotten the car as I bought it for the performance first and foremost. I like to check the pressure during spirited driving just to have peace of mind that the tire pressure is stable. Don't love the thought of having to wait until I lose 20% of the pressure for an idiot light to come on....but its a mute point as it is what it is...
It's one of those quirks that Audi is stubborn about. There are a few of those that annoy me - not enough to rule out the cars, but almost... Another one is the cruise control stalk which is not as easy to use as steering wheel cruise control like on BMWs (most companies are moving away from the stalk even if they had it in the past, but Audi is stubborn about it, so it's even in the new A7.) Yet another one is the shortcut keys which are not as useful as on BMWs. Also, Audi eliminates the Auto Hold function on North American cars, and replaces the button with a blank - why? It's a helpful feature.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jhbrew
Thanks for the info! I feel better that at least it tells you which tire is low rather than just showing you a light...CS is everything. No matter how great a deal you think you received, if the after sale CS is horrible, you never get the bad taste out of your mouth. Glad yours worked out in your favor!
Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
It's one of those quirks that Audi is stubborn about. There are a few of those that annoy me - not enough to rule out the cars, but almost... Another one is the cruise control stalk which is not as easy to use as steering wheel cruise control like on BMWs (most companies are moving away from the stalk even if they had it in the past, but Audi is stubborn about it, so it's even in the new A7.) Yet another one is the shortcut keys which are not as useful as on BMWs. Also, Audi eliminates the Auto Hold function on North American cars, and replaces the button with a blank - why? It's a helpful feature.
I agree...you know there are always going to be quirks between different manufactures, but some are just more frustrating then other...
Old 01-17-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The direct systems, of course, do provide "numbers," but they can be a pain in the butt even over the course of a relatively short lease. I recently swapped the OEM summer only tires for new UHP A/S tires (Michelin), no problem with the swap due to the indirect system Audi uses.

I know that the days of being able to check your tire pressure "at the gas station" are gone (mostly), but assuming you are getting 300-400 miles out of a tankful, it seems that checking your air pressure at every tank or at least every other tank is possible even at gas 'n' go. What really irritates me, however, is that many times the air pumps need quarters to activate. I understand that we have become in many cases an a la carte society, but the fact that I rarely have three quarters at the same time on my person is, well, annoying when I want to check/add air.

This is one reason I just gas up mostly at Costco and get free-nitrogen "air" at the Costco tire center. Here in the "little city" of greater-Cincinnati we have three Costco's. I have to assume that most of the country isn't THAT far away from a Costco, Sam's, Meijer or even Kroger (or regional grocers) fuel centers.

Every car available on the planet doesn't have EVERYTHING the way that everyone would want. Yet, overall, we somehow manage.

I would think the lack of a dip-stick would be more of a bone to pick than this. And, even the lack of the dip-stick has become a "nothing burger" for me. I get oil and filter changes every 5K miles -- perhaps if I were to go the distance (10,000 miles), I would feel more troubled by the lack of a dip-stick.

What really pisses me off is the lack of the ability to order red brake calipers as a STAND ALONE option.

Sarcasm is so hard in these posts.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The direct systems, of course, do provide "numbers," but they can be a pain in the butt even over the course of a relatively short lease. I recently swapped the OEM summer only tires for new UHP A/S tires (Michelin), no problem with the swap due to the indirect system Audi uses.

I know that the days of being able to check your tire pressure "at the gas station" are gone (mostly), but assuming you are getting 300-400 miles out of a tankful, it seems that checking your air pressure at every tank or at least every other tank is possible even at gas 'n' go. What really irritates me, however, is that many times the air pumps need quarters to activate. I understand that we have become in many cases an a la carte society, but the fact that I rarely have three quarters at the same time on my person is, well, annoying when I want to check/add air.

This is one reason I just gas up mostly at Costco and get free-nitrogen "air" at the Costco tire center. Here in the "little city" of greater-Cincinnati we have three Costco's. I have to assume that most of the country isn't THAT far away from a Costco, Sam's, Meijer or even Kroger (or regional grocers) fuel centers.

Every car available on the planet doesn't have EVERYTHING the way that everyone would want. Yet, overall, we somehow manage.

I would think the lack of a dip-stick would be more of a bone to pick than this. And, even the lack of the dip-stick has become a "nothing burger" for me. I get oil and filter changes every 5K miles -- perhaps if I were to go the distance (10,000 miles), I would feel more troubled by the lack of a dip-stick.

What really pisses me off is the lack of the ability to order red brake calipers as a STAND ALONE option.

Sarcasm is so hard in these posts.
More surprised than annoyed...having had multiple direct systems, I prefer that given the choice of the two. Very glad to find out the system a least tells you which tire is low. That makes it a little more palatable...
Always niggling issues with every manufacturer, so this is one of those you learn to live with and move on.
I do agree with you about the air pumps...hard to even find one that works in the NY metro area...and by the way I have a Costco right below me but because its in the city there is no tire center, so I cant even benefit from that!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.

As long as it identifies which tire it thinks is low, I'm okay with whatever method they use. From the owner's manual, it looks like the 2018 S5 sportback that I've ordered does that, but some confirmation from folks who actually have the car would be helpful. My current Lexus IS350 uses direct TPMS but doesn't show any tire pressure values, so I have to manually track down the problematic tire(s) when it complains.

What year is that Lexus? Because I swear I thought the newer ones supported individual tire pressure monitoring. Remember seeing it in the F-Sport model digital gauges overview. Like post 2014 models.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRyu
What year is that Lexus? Because I swear I thought the newer ones supported individual tire pressure monitoring. Remember seeing it in the F-Sport model digital gauges overview. Like post 2014 models.
They do. Mine is a 2007.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.

They do. Mine is a 2007.
Ah so you have to make do with the generic low pressure tire light as well? Man do I hate that on my '08 Subaru Legacy. Love it as my first car (aside from some maintenance issues) , but can't wait to upgrade for that convenience in itself along with other things.

Quick Reply: Newbie and Need some Help Please...