S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Oil change specifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jettaway
At the moment you can purchase the Castrol Edge performance OE specific oil from multiple online resources (ECS Tuning for example) for cheaper than my dealer's asking price. Problem is these same online resources do not have updated oil filter parts as of yet.

And a side note, AUDI brand specific filters are produced by MANN corporation. And MANN filters are sold locally at my auto parts store. Which will be much more convenient for me at times of oil change. I will also likely be transitioning from the Castrol Edge to my Preferred Mobile 1 down the road.

Once I have a part number confirmed for the MANN brand filter I will be helpful and place it in this thread for others to view.
You should CONFIRM that the oil that the dealer sells and the oil you can purchase at on-line outlets and perhaps even Walmart is dyed green. If it is, you're right, you're good to go.

If you're not able to get the oil that is dyed green (it glows), you need to find out what documentation is required to demonstrate compliance (during the OEM warranty period).

The source for the green oil compliance is the current issue of the Quattro Quarterly. Their source was Audi of Minneapolis. My personal source has been three people at the Audi Connection in Cincinnati. All signs point to using the current oil from Castrol, that is 100% synthetic and is called Edge Professional OE. I have seen this named oil on line (even at Amazon), the thing is I can't find any indication of this "green" dye characteristic (I was tempted to say "crap") but until I can get actual clarification that using the stuff that meets or exceeds the specifications, regardless of the green dye, I'm playing it on the cautious side.

If you know that this EA839 engine program green oil is "optional" and can point us to a source that "would hold up during arbitration," I would think it would be helpful for all of us, both DIY-ers and non-DIY-ers alike.

I have, historically, purchased the oil that I wanted to use (and for a time even the filters) from a local big-box retail outlet. The difference is, I then took the oil+filter to the dealer and let them change it which gave me a paper-trail in the off-chance that there was a warranty issue.

Now, due to the green oil formulation, I plan on paying for every other oil change (at 5,000 miles) out of pocket and then having the even 5,000 mile changes using AudiCare.

If you can get the dyed oil elsewhere, I would think you should go for it.

Regarding the filter, I am not aware YET of an aftermarket supplier, but Purolator certainly is one of the best.

But, if there is not a direct analog, I would think you might consider paying a few bucks more for the Audi branded filter until the replacements arrive on the US retail scene.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
James,

OK, here goes:

Please open your owner's manual (the one that came with the car, not the PDF) to page 325.

There is an out-of-focus view of an engine (it may or may not be an S4, in fact if I squint, I'd almost say it is the i4 in an A4).

However, be that as it may, please "imagine" you're looking at your S4's V6 with the engine cover on (that plastic affair that covers up the engine, largely). Please note that in the picture there are numbers in red with circles around them. The numbers I want you to focus on for just a moment are #3, #4 and #5. On my engine position #3 is NOT the engine oil filling port. This is what makes me think this fuzzy picture is NOT the V6.

What I want you to look at is the actual location of the numbers themselves. I also want you to "imagine" there is a number #4.5. There is, of course, no such number in the picture. However, if such a half-number did exist and it was located about mid-way between the #4 and #5, that is where there is a little black plastic nipple. This nipple is really a plug -- the top of the plug has right angles and is relatively flat.

You will need a pair of pliers -- even the pliers on a Swiss Army Knife will do -- whatever you use, plier-wise, it should be a rather small pair. This plastic plug, when gripped by pliers will be able to be worked out, it is NOT THREADED.

When you pull this plug out, hold on to the pliers or this slick little plug may pop out.

OK, once you get the plug out, what you are looking at is the dip-stick hole (you didn't get a dip-stick, you got an electronic dip stick.)

I think it is possible to pull this little plug out without removing the plastic engine cover, but it would be a heckuva lot easier if you pop the engine cover off -- it is held in by friction and there should be no issue in popping it off. I just did it -- it will likely get your hands dirty. Use gloves if you want. Putting it back on is easier than putting a paint-can lid back on. The cover just aligns and you can pound it down with the heel or palm of your hand. Very easy and it only goes one-way.

If you buy one of those "oil suckers" this hole is where you would stick the sucker's extraction tube.

You do NOT actually need a physical dip-stick, but I believe you can buy one that is meant for your V6 from Audi -- I have no plans to do this.

Remove old filter. Replace it with a new filter.

Plug the hole by returning the plastic nipple in the hole (again, the pliers will be helpful since it will be slippery and it is really pretty small.)

Pour 7.2-ish quarts of oil into the engine.

Close the oil filler hole with the oil filler cap.

Start the engine.

Visually check for obvious leaks. If you have a leak, it will have to be from the filter area.

The electronic dip-stick will NOT work immediately. This is so anytime you open the hood.

I can't quite figure out the magic combination of events that makes the electronic dip-stick activate, but mine did it in about a half an hour. Just don't lift the hood as it resets the electronic dip stick.

You CAN see this little plastic plug if you have a flashlight -- if you are not going to change the oil, that is, you don't have to take the plastic engine cover off.

Helpful?
Very helpful! Thanks a lot!
JC
Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by James Cole
Very helpful! Thanks a lot!
JC
Have you found the plug yet, James?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Have you found the plug yet, James?
Thanks! I did find it its very very small and a bit hard to pull but its there... just wondering if all the oil can be pulled from there...
Old 08-21-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jettaway
As I approach 5k miles I am looking into doing the first oil change.

I was wondering if anyone has performed a change on this new engine yet and could answer the following.

Which oil filter was required?
Weight/Quantity of oil needed?

thanks in advance!
Maybe I missed this, why are you doing oil at 5k? I went and looked at mine and says 10k
Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ShawnM789
Maybe I missed this, why are you doing oil at 5k? I went and looked at mine and says 10k
It really is just peace of mind... its not required at all.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ShawnM789
Changing the oil and filter every 5,000 miles, is NOT required.

I do it anyway --but I always have it done at the dealer (and I trust my dealer). This way the car is seen by the dealer techs -- and issues can be diagnosed early (if there are any, of course).

The car stays "younger" -- at least it seems that way.

If you're leasing, you may not feel this way -- I even did it on my leased cars.

Peace of mind.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW, I was at Audi South Burlington (VT) service yesterday and asked about oil. They said broadly 5/40 full synthetic and when asked further, recommended Castrol or Mobil. While waiting for my car I brought up Amazon's page for "Castrol 06249 EDGE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil" (black bottle, not "Professional") and showed it to them. They said "that's what we use."

I also asked them about a break-in oil change. They said just wait until 10k. But if you want to be really old school, change it at 5k.

Also, as far as I can tell, not using green dye oil does nothing to your warranty.

If you want to go "by the book," the 2018 S4 manual says to use what's written in the engine compartment. My oil cap says "Castrol" and nearby is a sticker that says "Use only oil with VW 50800 approval. For a list of approved oils: 1-800-822-2834 www.audiusa.com."

On Audiusa.com "2018 Audi Maintenance Schedule - All Models" rev. 02/23/2017, yes, they oddly omit the S4, but given that it's the same engine as the S5, here's what they indicate:
Approx quantity: 6.8L (7.2 qt)
Use synthetic oil SAE 5W-40, SAE 5W-30 or SAE 0W-40
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...ges_022317.pdf
Old 08-26-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys, new to the forum. I have a 2006 A6C6 4.2QS. I went to the Audi dealer and asked them for a quart of oil. This is what they handed me (see attached images). Castrol Edge Professional 505 01, SAE 5W-40. I haven't confirmed if it glows green on the inside yet, but its the one they gave me. All I know is that it is still hard to find these retail markings even online. I've seen the "OE" and wondered if that is a match, or if i there is a difference, what is the difference. Can't find any shop that sells in 5QTs or cases on a regular basis.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm new to this but my guess is there are lots of oils that will work. I can't believe there is that much difference once you have the weight 5W-40 and API SN. So I'm glad to hear the BLACK version (non pro gold) is good too because you can find that in large quantities and more locations.

Quick Reply: Oil change specifications