S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Presenting Majestic Black S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I noticed you didn't go for the driver assistance package -- any reason in particular?

I don't think I've seen one yet without it -- until yours, and granted, I have no idea what part of the country you live; but here in Cincinnati, the A5's, S5's and S4's do all seem to come so equipped.

That would be the only option they'll have to tear out of my cold dead hands.
Mark, while your question was directed to xtreme571, I'll give you my perspective. Count me in as perhaps the rare owner who custom ordered a Prestige trim and declined DAP. For me it wasn't a question of spend (what's another $1,500 or so on a $60k plus vehicle). Rather I didn't see a benefit to the package for my needs. Breaking down the options and how I viewed each one:

Adaptive Cruise Control, I never use cruise control. Period. I have Adaptive CC in my JGC Summit. After 2-years of ownership, I tried it once just to satisfy my curiosity. I feel that I have better control of my vehicle and greater awareness of the road and surrounding area if I'm am controlling the gas and brake. Plus I enjoy driving.

Traffic Jam Assist (which is tied to ACC), I can see this feature being a benefit provided routine driving is stop-n-go/gridlock. For me it's mostly interstate or rural roads. Maybe 1-2 days a year that I have an issue with traffic.

Active Lane Assist, as part of the control for Traffic Jam Assist, I get it. As a standalone feature, in my opinion, one should not require an electronic aide to stay within the lines. If so, there's a bigger issue.

Traffic Sign Recognition, my opinion mirrors that for ALA. An aware driver shouldn't need this, period. I'm aware of the speed limit and selecting chose to go over it at times in the appropriate areas. Yield, stop, merge, etc., I think drivers as a whole need a better education on the rules of driving. Most could benefit from taking HPDE courses.

Auto High-Beam, I actually find this feature useful. I had it the next level in my M4 with anti-dazzle (damn you DOT). Hopefully somebody discovers how to enable it through coding. I believe the hardware is already in the car.

Just my .02 cents.