S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Rear deck rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Rear deck rattle

So every now and then I notice the rear deck rattling on my 2018 S4 with music. Certain songs kick it off more than others.. My bass setting is two clicks to the right of center and the sub is at center. Even turning the bass to center will still rattle it. Months ago I had brought the car into the dealer about it and all they did was turn the bass and sub controls down and say “that fixed it” - ok, whatever. I know there was a TSB for the 2017 A4 that was supposed to address this.. Months ago, I found it on here and ordered the foam strip specified in that TSB.. Today I got around to popping the grill that is over the sub and it appears on my car, Audi incorporated that TSB into manufacturing because the foam indicated in the TSB is already there — but on the corresponding surface of the rear deck.
At any rate, I took a closer look, and the rattle isn’t from the grill, but rather it seems the deck itself is rattling, and if I put pressure down on the deck towards the back near the glass, I can eliminate it. I’m looking for something a little more permanent to put pressure on the rear deck to prevent the vibration, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Rick
Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also interested if anyone has found a decent work around. The TSB does not appear to do anything worth while in reducing the rattle in my car. It is unfortunate that Audi's "prestige" sound system has a rattle like a high school kids Honda with 14" subs in the trunk.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

This car rattles a lot, no question about it. I've had the rear deck TSB done and it's still a huge problem. Sunroof and doors rattle as well.

In fact, I have had the car in with the dealership 5 times in the 26,000mi over 2 years that I've owned it for various rattles including what I just mentioned, and for the exact same driver's door rattle which they can not seem to for the life of them permanently solve. I have an appointment for a 6th visit to look at it with their shop foreman soon and I intend to supervise every single second of the troubleshooting + remediation process this next time. I am going to lemon law the whole damn door if I have to.

Whether they can fix or not, I am then probably taking this car to a pro car audio shop to get some sound deadening installed on the deck + door panels. Do I feel I should have to do that on a $64,000+ car? Absolutely not and I'm super pissed about it. But am I prepared to do it? Well...given that it'll probably cost a few hundred bucks to do that vs. taking a multi-thousand-dollar depreciation hit to trade it in for a less rattle-prone car, what choice do I really have? Aside from these rattles I mostly love the car. It is so, so unfortunate that Audi has invested so much R&D into the aerodynamics and cabin-quieting technology that goes into this car, from the placement of the side mirrors to the acoustic glass and windshield, just so that you can.............better hear the baby rattle in your left ear coming from the driver's door, apparently.

The amount of rattles I'm having in what is ultimately a compact sport luxury car with over $10,000 of premium audio-and-cabin-improving upgrades over the base trim is insane at this price point and is, by far, my biggest disappointment in Audi so far. The new BMW M340i is going to be the very first thing I test drive next and this problem is the only reason why.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im about to hit 18k miles. This car has been a rattlebox in the winter. It improves in the warmer weather, but still a rattlebox considering the price point. My previous Hyundai Genesis had less rattles after 7 years of ownership.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Every Audi I've ever owned had constant rattle problems. My new Subaru Ascent is quiet and solid. They managed to figure it out. Why can't Audi?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The dealer replaced the third brake light, on the rear window, along with adding foam and tightening the sub mounts, and all of that pretty STOPPED the sub bass driven rattling in my S4.
I was very pleasantly surprised that what they did worked.
To me it shows that the line assembly has to work on their quality control during the initial build install.

I've been lucky with my S4 regarding rattling. I have very little rattle noises, and the occasional one is temp sensitive along with certain bigger suspension bumps along with temp.
I do have my audio system on every time I drive, but typically at a moderate level with occasional loud times when a great tune comes on.

The loudest constant sound in my S4, other than the audio system, is tire noise, but that's common.
The cabin if fairly quiet for a sport sedan, and I don't have the Prestige glass as I do not have the Prestige pkg.

My Audi complaints are related to other aspects of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Void20 (10-23-2020)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know is there is a TSB number associated with the rear deck rattle.