S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Shopping next week - Tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to thank MarkinCinci for that fantastic write-up.
I've been trolling around the internet looking for reviews on the A/S3+'s for over a month, and trying to make up my mind what to buy.
Naturally, I knew all along -- I just needed more data to make my choice the correct one.

I seem to be the oddball for OEM rubber: OEM Rubber is Hankook S1 Evo2. I took delivery of my S4 last April in Florida, and got one of the earliest deliveries of S4's after the
extended port delays.

I can't complain about these tires, they are decent, and they just survived a trackday at VIR with minimal wear and tear on the tread.

However, living in NC, and near the Mtns - I needed an a/s tire that could handle the climate here.
I ordered the Pilot's yesterday through my local dealer, and getting them mounted Friday.
Prices were reasonably comparable to other shops, and I'm not near a Costco - nor do I want to take my S4 to a Costco.
The only "unreasonable" charge was the four wheel alignment, and I negotiated that down.

I'm looking very forward to having these awesome tires on my awesome car!

gr
Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

So, just a follow up.. My S4 should be hitting Davisville on Tuesday, so I'll be picking it up soon.. I plan on swapping the tires out immediately, since we're going to be in early February in NY, and I really don't want to be restricted by the temperatures when I first get the car.. Fortunately, I have a friend with an older A4 that will be purchasing the factory summer tires from me..

While I was gravitating towards the Contis, I'm starting to think I may just decide to go with the A/S3+.. Out the door pricing incl. tax at Costco is currently $821 for them, while the quote I received from one of the local tire stores I use here for the DWS06 comes out at $867.. I've had previous experience with installs at both Costco as well as the tire shop, and both have always done excellent work. The shop with the Contis has a RF balancer -- but he said he would only suggest a RF balance if he runs into issues with a standard balance.

markincincinnati -- Are you still pleased with the A/S3+'s on your S4?

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by RickNY; 01-25-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm in NJ, so basically the same weather patterns as you. March can be a tricky month for tires, it can go from cold and snowing to 70 degrees and then back again within just a few days. So it's either too cold for a summer tire or too warm for a pure winter tire. You sort of have to pick your poison. I tend toward accepting the higher wear on my winter tires on the warm days rather than the decreased traction of the summer tires on the cold days. One only cost money, the other could cost a lot more!

But don't forget that March is also generally pothole season around here. It's much easier (cheaper) to replace a winter tire/wheel than a summer tire and OEM wheel if you get unlucky. By April the asphalt plants are back online and most of the craters have been patched. I usually target sometime between April 1 and Tax Day to swap out to the summer tires.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickNY
So, just a follow up.. My S4 should be hitting Davisville on Tuesday, so I'll be picking it up soon.. I plan on swapping the tires out immediately, since we're going to be in early February in NY, and I really don't want to be restricted by the temperatures when I first get the car.. Fortunately, I have a friend with an older A4 that will be purchasing the factory summer tires from me..

While I was gravitating towards the Contis, I'm starting to think I may just decide to go with the A/S3+.. Out the door pricing incl. tax at Costco is currently $821 for them, while the quote I received from one of the local tire stores I use here for the DWS06 comes out at $867.. I've had previous experience with installs at both Costco as well as the tire shop, and both have always done excellent work. The shop with the Contis has a RF balancer -- but he said he would only suggest a RF balance if he runs into issues with a standard balance.

Thanks,
Rick
I went ahead and purchased the Conti DWS06 and had my stock tires immediately swapped by the dealer. The tires are amazing, I can't comment on the Michelins, but you won't go wrong with the Contis. I also purchased the set off of ebay for $700 total. I own an S5 Sportback btw.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
Rick
Different experiences no doubt, but for me the Michelin A/S 3+ tires sucked (19" wheel). Very very noisy. They handled great, but the noise was too much. I switched to Continentals A/S....Discount Tire was very accommodating. Very happy now...
--Steve b.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd have to agree, after 2300 miles of mixed driving, the Michelins are noiser by a factor of 2-3x vs. the Summer OEM Hankooks that I swapped off.
Mind you, this is generally only heard at constant speeds above 50-60mph.

The handling and stability characteristics are admirable vs. some other Conti and Pirelli a/s OEM skins I've sampled on various Audi models, and overall treadwear is yet to be seen.

Hard to compare overall handling on THIS car vs. anything but the Summer Rubber, but the obvious softer sidewall contributes to the less sharp turn-in, and stability in high speed maneuvers.

I did get to sample some light snow last week, and was not displeased. 2" of light powdery stuff, and the quattro handled it just fine. I even stopped in the middle of fairly steep hill, was able to engage the hill-hold feature, and continue up the hill (in the snow) with no slippage or overzealous traction control kicking in.
Mind you, the same exercise the following day resulted in me sliding backwards down the hill on what was, by then, a pure sheet of ice. To be expected, but i wanted to test the limits of the tires.
Overall, I was able to drive normally on freshly fallen snow on paved roads, and also on mixed density packed ice.

I have not had any experience with the newer DWS06's, but if the overall handling and treadlife were the same in either tire, i'd be willing to trade-up and swtich to the Conti's vs. the Pilots based on the noise Alone.
And keep in mind, that the B9 Platform is one of the Quietest interior spaces in the Industry.

I will also say, that the car's ability to track predictably over paved surfaces at highway speeds has been diminished after mounting the Pilots. I suspect this is simply due to the more aggressive tread pattern vs. the summers, but it IS noticeable, and makes the car a bit less tractable in those conditions.I feel like I'm constantly correcting the path back to the center of the road, whereas I wasn't having to do that before.

No issues with wet weather traction whatsoever. I have been running pressures at the recommended 39/35, and may start experimenting a bit to see if I can reign these things-in. And, as a baseline comparison, I drive in comfort mode MOST of the time lately, and only use Dynamic mode when I'm driving aggressively or navigating twisty roads.

my 2c.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 01-25-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks,
Rick
Yes, very pleased with the A/S 3+ shoes on both the S4 and SQ5. These are by far the quietest tires we've ever had -- not that the Conti DWS 06's were noisy, the Michelins are just quieter and also they seem to have wrung the last bit of understeer out of the car due in part, I'd imagine to the somewhat stiffer sidewalls in the group (Conti, Mich & Pirellis A/S UHPs). Our experience tracks almost to a "T" the write up in both Consumer Reports and on the TireRack, in that regard: The Michelin's top the category (A/S UHP). Now, having said this and having had the Contis, I would be fine if someone "forced" a set of Contis on me -- both sets we have had were very good performers. The difference is like the ratings for wine. It takes some level of quality to get to a 90 -- and to get to be a 91 or 92 is a very noticeable step up in "wine quality."

This, then, would be my wino comparo. The Continentals are a 90-point cab and are a very good value. The Michelins are a 92 but are at the top of what could be called a very good value, meaning if they cost too much more, they wouldn't be worth the "freight" over the Contis. Given the Costco price and the $.04 installation charge, the Michelins remain both a "very fine wine" at a very fine price.

I had, previously, come "this close" to getting the Pirellis since I placed a premium value score on "quietness," but, since the Tire Rack gave the Michelin's the nod as "THE" quietest A/S UHP tire of the bunch, I took a chance that they weren't BS-ing the reader. Without comparison to the Pirellis, I can only reaffirm that the Michelin's (on both an SQ5 in 20" size and an S4 in 18" size) are the quietest tires we've ever had.

It does not, however, surprise me that this very same tire with a 35 aspect ratio is noisier than my super-quiet 40 aspect ratio shoes. Another reason to shy away from the 19" inch wheels.

I've said this previously, but I keep praying that someone from Audi gets paid to troll this site: Audi's US wheel program is pretty lame. I would have gladly paid for the 19" wheels' appearance if it would have come in an 18" size with 40 aspect ratio tires -- especially since the tread width (the contact patch) was no wider on the 19" inch offering. In the US at least, the 19" wheels are sort of like the equivalent of "falsies" if you get my drift.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mark --

I now know why you spend so much time at Costco.....hence the comparison of tires to WINE.

I still defer to your review and your opinion since you've had both the Michelins AND the Contis, and several sets at that. Who can argue your real world experience??

Really a good point on the 19s vs. the 18's on noise and aspect ratio. And I TOTALLY agree with you about our relatively lackluster choice in OEM wheels for the US market.
Look no further than the new Q5. Wow! Talk about EPIC fail on the design of ALL of the wheels available to the US market.....sheesh!
I digress....

I actually was planning on going with a 40 size "height" but decided against it, just in case I turn my lease in with these tires on it. It was pointed out to me by my Audi Svc Advisor, that a 245/40/19 wouldn't be the OEM
tire height, and therefore would not technically qualify for the Audi Certified Program, and technically would be as bad as worn out tires on a lease turn-in.

Needless to say, as long as the Michelins don't get Uber-Noisey as the miles rack-up, ill be more than ok with keeping them. It was an educated, informed, democratic purchasing decision afterall!

gr
Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Summer tires are at their limit at 7 C or 44 F.

Summer tires are at their limit at 7 C or 44 F.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all have different opinions, and how we interpret what's acceptable. The Michelin A/S 3+ tires replaced my summer tires--and they were so noisy I had no choice but switch them out. The manager at the tire shop said his regional manager had the same experience, as did other customers. He didn't fight with me over it and understood fully. I highly recommend you find someone who has these tires--and take a ride with them down various highways. Either way--I hope it works out for you--as it has for others here. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Shopping next week - Tire questions