S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlarke
What's your drive like? Would you actually be able to enjoy the power and handling of the S4?

I own a B8 S4 and when it's on the highway, 98% of the time, an A4 would be exactly as good. Every once in a while I get a chance to pop down to 3rd gear to pass someone and giggle over the V6 power, or I take a corner and speed and enjoy the way the sports diff makes the car feel like it's on rails, but those are exceptions. I feel the car more when I'm off the highway, especially on rural roads, or old areas that were laid out to follow the countryside instead of a grid. Then, even if I can't really explore the car's limits, I can feel the full benefits of the diff and the sports suspension at work.

I guess the final reason to get the S4 is just regret minimization. If you buy the A4, then you'll periodically have a moment when you stomp it or hustle it around the corner and think, "I wish this was an S4." If you buy the S4, you may find yourself thinking about all the things you could have done with that money instead. Which worries you more?
I currently drive a 2016 Hyundai Tucson, which is practical, reliable, and gets good gas mileage (aka not so fun). Most of my commute is on the interstate, going on average 60-65 mph. I will not be getting rid of the Tucson, so I guess it could be my practical car, and the S4 could be my fun little sports car! I would really hate to be disappointed with the A4 when I'm trying to pass someone and feel the lag in acceleration. I think that's what I'm most afraid of, not having the power when I need or want it.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's some good advice, and it's kind of how I'm looking at the situation. About a year ago, I was pining after the A4. But now that finances will allow, I feel like I shouldn't miss out on the S4. Part of me feels selfish and like it's a silly way to spend money, because the S4 isn't cheap! But I would also like to have a little fun. Work hard, play hard 😜
Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ClemsonAudi
Wow--what a great problem to have! I actually traded in a Prius to get my S4 LOL, so I understand what it's like to go from one extreme to the other. My uncle gave me some sound advice many years ago. In the context of being able to afford what you desire, he said "never buy something less expensive, when you can put more money out there and get what you really want." If you get the A, each time you see an S4 you are going to say "dang it." This is a no brainer really. Although the car does accelerate extremely quickly with tons of power, I routinely get 32 mpg highway taking it easy, and from the safety standpoint the thing is on rails and stops on a dime. But, a word of caution--you have to be disciplined and avoid the "racing" temptations. Punch it and the car is going 125 mph in a hurry. As for the exhaust sound--one of the selectors for the suspension and transmission is "individual" where you can have everything in sport mode except the exhaust--when the exhaust gets on your nerves. Good luck!
Originally Posted by markcincinnati
A maxed out Prestige (with Sport Package) A4 vs a stripped P+ S4 would -- for me -- make the decision lean much more toward the A4. We have temporary custody of a 2018 Premium Q5 with the navigation package (whatever that's called) and 19" wheels. Everything else is whatever the standard stuff is: The standard sound system (which is Sucks+), no Audi side assist, no heads-up display, and overall a nice car, but really vanilla.

My wife is used to her SQ5 -- and she says she misses the power of the S's engine, but she likes the DSG transmission of the Q5 better, yet she really misses the safety and technology features she has on her S. I'm starting to think the Prestige A4 with a sport package would be the more long-term choice -- if the S4 was "bare bones." Does either one have the DAP package?
Neither one has the DAP package. The S4 that I'm looking at has the Navigation package, S sport package, with the 19" wheels. There is a P+ A4 available that has S Line exterior, the 19" wheels, Sport Package, Cold Weather package, and technology package. Does the Sport Package and larger wheels make the ride too harsh, stiff, or uncomfortable? After all, I want the car to have a smooth ride, but also have power and be fun to drive.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you all consider the Virtual Cockpit a must have for both models? It's cool and everything, but I don't think I would have a lot of use for it. But if I'm getting an Audi, I don't want to skimp on anything.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by krenda18
Do you all consider the Virtual Cockpit a must have for both models? It's cool and everything, but I don't think I would have a lot of use for it. But if I'm getting an Audi, I don't want to skimp on anything.
I would want both the heads-up display and DAP. On the A4, I would want the sport seats and sport suspension. Based on your roads, I would not want the S4 with the 19" wheels -- especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time (the 19" wheels are very expensive to replace and they are not at all pot-hole friendly.)

Since you are talking about CPO'd (I assume) cars, you may not have the inventory to choose from compared to ordering one from the factory.

The A4 I would want would be equipped like this: A4 quattro, prestige, cold weather package, sport package, pedal dress package -- at this level of content, you get the DAP included. This car in Ibis would be at full MSRP about $51,400.

Mileage would be great.

The same level of content in an S4 Prestige would be about $61,000 (in Ibis).

I would not want either car unless it had the VC.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

It is absolutely a gimmick, and I find days more and more lately where I wish I had traditional gauges. The A4 and S4 can still have a color screen with the same mode changes in the middle if equipped that way, and it works great. (It's been on my rental A4s through SilverCar.)

The problem is you can't get a HUD without the Virtual Cockpit, and I view the HUD as an essential feature on a car in this class/price range. You may or may not care about that.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
It is absolutely a gimmick, and I find days more and more lately where I wish I had traditional gauges. The A4 and S4 can still have a color screen with the same mode changes in the middle if equipped that way, and it works great. (It's been on my rental A4s through SilverCar.)

The problem is you can't get a HUD without the Virtual Cockpit, and I view the HUD as an essential feature on a car in this class/price range. You may or may not care about that.
I kind of agree that it's "gimmicky" but it's still kinda of a must have if you're trying to keep everything in front of you (dialing a person, getting information from the car, or just navigation). I find the Virtual Cockpit pretty nifty on presentation and does enhance the experience in a ways. In fact, I find myself enjoying more the Virtual Cockpit than actually using the navigation screen - and it's primarily comes with the navigation package on the Premium Plus. The speedo HUD could be found gimmicky too, though I imagine those who have it find it a bit helpful having it in front of them.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Based on your roads, I would not want the S4 with the 19" wheels -- especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time (the 19" wheels are very expensive to replace and they are not at all pot-hole friendly.)
Say, Mark ... aren't the speed governors from Audi based off the wheel size? I remember the B8s had some weird thing where 18" wheels had a speed limit of somewhere around 130 MPH, while 19" has some ridiculous speed.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, I had an ‘17 A4 PP, as a loaner when I took my ‘15 A5 in for its last audicare service before turn in. Was really impressed by its quickness and road manner, especially at passing. So much so, that I began thinking the S4 I ordered and due in next week was going to be overkill- too late now, and I’m sure I’ll adjust, but either way you’ll have a fine car. I’m pretty sure the s4 is going to cost more all around- financing, gas, insurance, yet I probably wont be able to use its full potential very much, at least without loosing my license.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
It is absolutely a gimmick, and I find days more and more lately where I wish I had traditional gauges.
This is true in the A4 and A5 but not at all true on the S models, at least if you are like me and use the "Sport" layout that moves the tach to the center of the screen with a digital speedometer in the center and then puts the "infotainment" displays on the sides. After using the VC in this mode for a few weeks I never want to go back to the 2 gauge layout again.

Quick Reply: Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4