S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by krenda18
Maybe I wouldn't feel like I was missing out by getting the A4 since I've never owned an S4, and only test driven once for about 30 minutes. Although I can swing the price of the S4, I don't think I can justify it with myself. I'm don't think I'm that much of a "car person." I keep talking myself out of the S4, and the price is the only thing that is holding me back from getting it. If I honestly was comfortable with it, I'd have an S4 by now! Maybe the A4 is the best decision for me and my situation...
Although this may come off as "advice" -- were I you, I would take it as a data-point:

After a week with a Q5 2.0T with the 7-spd DSG and "the content" I refer to as in the Prestige set up, I return to one of my previous posts when I say: "A fully contented A4 vs a P+ S4, given your driving description and now your "I'm not a car person" self-description, would be my choice." You won't go wrong, anyway, with either one. FWIW, the A4 is "the winna and champeen" over at Consumer Reports (I can't believe I've come to the point of referencing CR, but there you have it.)

One more thing to "observe" -- if you've really only had 30-minutes of wheel time with the S4, maybe before you pull the trigger you should spend more time in the S4.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Although this may come off as "advice" -- were I you, I would take it as a data-point:

After a week with a Q5 2.0T with the 7-spd DSG and "the content" I refer to as in the Prestige set up, I return to one of my previous posts when I say: "A fully contented A4 vs a P+ S4, given your driving description and now your "I'm not a car person" self-description, would be my choice." You won't go wrong, anyway, with either one. FWIW, the A4 is "the winna and champeen" over at Consumer Reports (I can't believe I've come to the point of referencing CR, but there you have it.)

One more thing to "observe" -- if you've really only had 30-minutes of wheel time with the S4, maybe before you pull the trigger you should spend more time in the S4.
You're right, I probably should spend more time in both models before I make a decision. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Get the one that makes you smile.
+1

No brainer decision here. S4 all the way.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krenda18
Maybe I wouldn't feel like I was missing out by getting the A4 since I've never owned an S4, and only test driven once for about 30 minutes. Although I can swing the price of the S4, I don't think I can justify it with myself. I'm don't think I'm that much of a "car person." I keep talking myself out of the S4, and the price is the only thing that is holding me back from getting it. If I honestly was comfortable with it, I'd have an S4 by now! Maybe the A4 is the best decision for me and my situation...
Based on your replies, I think you will be happier with the loaded A4. If your not a self-admitted car person, I think the A4 is more than enough car and it more fun than a Honda, Mazda, Toyota, etc.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I would want both the heads-up display and DAP. On the A4, I would want the sport seats and sport suspension. Based on your roads, I would not want the S4 with the 19" wheels -- especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time (the 19" wheels are very expensive to replace and they are not at all pot-hole friendly.)

Since you are talking about CPO'd (I assume) cars, you may not have the inventory to choose from compared to ordering one from the factory.

The A4 I would want would be equipped like this: A4 quattro, prestige, cold weather package, sport package, pedal dress package -- at this level of content, you get the DAP included. This car in Ibis would be at full MSRP about $51,400.

Mileage would be great.

The same level of content in an S4 Prestige would be about $61,000 (in Ibis).

I would not want either car unless it had the VC.
What he said!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the S4. I always get "The Look" from B8/B9 A4 drivers... you don't wanna be "that guy"!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

every day you drive the a4, you will regret not getting the S4.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

OP, you’re coming from a Hyundai Tucson, I’m thinking you’ll find the A4 more powerful than the Hyundai during your test drive. I upgraded from a Subaru Impreza and got tired of waiting for the A4 manual and S4 to launch, test drove the A4 with the DSG and ordered one. l’m getting the same mpg that I used to get with the Impreza plus a LOT more power.
If the A4 doesn’t feel more powerful than the Hyundai, then get the S4.
I also agree with the other comments that a loaded A4 is better than a lower level S4.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a B9 S4 (P+) and a B9 Allroad (Prestige). I bought the S4 while on deployment last year and took delivery in July. We liked the B9 so much, we replaced my wife's '15 Volvo V60 with the Allroad just over a month ago. With almost 13k miles on the S4 and just over 2k on the Allroad, I can say that they are very similar while being quite different. Both are very quiet for what their mission is. When I drive the Allroad I enjoy the quiet speed floating down the freeway. The S4 begs for more and likes to play but is content in comfort mode soaking up the freeway. The Allroad is quick, but not like the S4. The S4 feels like the Allroad when driven in D. Put the S4 in Dynamic/S and it is a different car. Turn off the traction control and you can engage beast mode. The shifts seem faster in dynamic, S, and traction turned off.

The B&O sounds much better in the Allroad, the engine sound is much sweeter in the S4. I do not notice much of a difference in the transmissions, so long as the S4 is in "S" and I do have a lot of experience racing and max-performing various cars. The suspension in the Allroad needs to be lowered and stiffened. I would love to swap in S4 springs and see what it does to the car.

Last data point, I am getting about the same HWY mileage in both cars. City is a different story...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by will13k7
every day you drive the a4, you will regret not getting the S4.
+1 - so long as the budget can handle the load, you won't regret an S4.

Quick Reply: Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4