S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

wheel alignment costs--$700 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSX
Does seem like a tall order for $700 might call a few places?
It's expensive on DA-equipped cars because it is a time-intensive process that requires special equipment, and training to use that equipment. Below are a couple videos that provide a glimpse into the process. There are no parts to speak of and this isn't warranty service with a fixed book rate, so the price all comes down to what the shop's labor rate is, how quickly they feel they can do it, and whether there is a "I'm going to have to pay the only guy here who knows how to do it overtime just for an alignment" tax.

Though I certainly don't wish the fate anyone, I suspect OP is going to get his $50 Hyundai alignment and dearly wish he'd just paid the dealer what they'd asked up front. Every few months someone rolls through these forums with issues after a coupon-special alignment at a random tire shop and they all seem to end up back at the dealer in the end.

Here's an example: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...right-2944658/
Even better example: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...arned-2943708/
Old 11-13-2018, 08:40 AM
God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@mplsbrian yes got it done at the hyundai dealership, the mechanic is a friend and used to work at audi a while back. I don't mind spending money for repairs as long as it's really needed and if it can be done the same way elsewhere for less, why not right.
Since the alignment, everything is working just fine again. Everything else checked out fine. Alignment was way out of whack.
Happy everything worked out well. Thanks everyone!
The following users liked this post:
Luis Decicco (12-27-2021)
Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM
God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@JD15 100% agree
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Good result, your experience is definitely not always the case but I am happy to hear it worked out. I'd recommend you be extra careful/attentive with some of the DA stuff e.g. traffic jam assist until you get enough behind the wheel time to assure yourself it's definitely working normal and steering exactly the way it is used to pre-pothole.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Alignment $499+Tax @ Audi neat Toronto

I was just quoted $499CAD + Tax for wheel alignment for my 2017 Q7 Technik (dynamic cruise, suspension). Accepted to get it done but honestly that seems far too expensive. Didn't shop around yet but after reading through here i guess i should always shop around and leave the dealership as a last resort. My short experience so far with Audi dealership mechanics is that they aren't top notch at all, the jury is still out but i'm leaning toward seeing them as stealerships so far.
Thunder Beef (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Save your money, do not get the dealership alignment.

I read this thread BEFORE getting my alignment done. I asked around, and got many quotes. I also considered my own common sense and asked myself a couple questions:

A)Do you suppose that changing the wheel angle by between .5° and 2° Is going to functionally effect ANY safety system enough to no longer function properly?

B)If the sensory systems were already properly calibrated when I bought the car, why would realigning to spec throw off their calibration.

Consider this, the vehicle has multiple sensory systems that are calibrated based on the vehicles physical position on the ground. It is designed to be able to function properly even with tire degradation issues or road surface variances such as uneven pavement, oil, and weather. The legal consequences would be substantial as VAG has already learned.

Dealerships want you to believe they have special magic. Drawing from a recent experience with a dealership in Lancaster, I can attest that they do not possess any magical (or especially technical) capabilities. As a matter of fact, this vehicle was aligned by Audi in Lancaster and according to the multiple alignment tests prior to actually doing the alignment, the alignment was decently off spec. Now my car drives perfectly straight. There is a whole story about that experience, which I will happily share if enough people ask.

Last edited by uberwgn; 01-20-2022 at 05:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Beef:
Aviator6 (01-12-2022), SQM3 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Beef
I read this thread BEFORE getting my alignment done. I asked around, and got many quotes. I also considered my own common sense and asked myself a couple questions:

A)Do you suppose that changing the wheel angle by between .5° and 2° Is going to functionally effect ANY safety system enough to no longer function properly?

B)If the sensory systems were already properly calibrated when I bought the car, why would realigning to spec throw off their calibration.

Consider this, the vehicle has multiple sensory systems that are calibrated based on the vehicles physical position on the ground. It is designed to be able to function properly even with tire degradation issues or road surface variances such as uneven pavement, oil, and weather. The legal consequences would be substantial as VAG has already learned.

Dealerships want you to believe they have special magic. Drawing from a recent experience with a dealership in Lancaster, I can attest that they do not possess any magical (or especially technical) capabilities. As a matter of fact, this vehicle was aligned by Audi in Lancaster and according to the multiple alignment tests prior to actually doing the alignment, the alignment was decently off spec. Now my car drives perfectly straight. There is a whole story about that experience, which I will happily share if enough people ask.
My thoughts exactly. Your car is already “out of spec” hence is why you need an alignment in the first place. Yet, you still use the DAP every single day without issue. Think about the logic, it makes no sense. Easy to separate people from money these days.
Thunder Beef (02-18-2022)