S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Antilock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 04:49 PM
Russ Burns

Default Antilock brakes

I am looking into getting an s4, couldn't quite fit into a TT. It looks like a fun car, but I am not sure I really want to deal with antilock brakes. Does the S4 have a switch to disable the ABS?

Russ Burns
Old 12-10-1999, 05:26 PM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

Default No it does not & it absolutely should

Although they allow you to steer under hard braking, they add considerably to stopping distances in snow and slippery conditions. Yes, even when used properly (punch'n the pedal thru the floorboard).
Old 12-10-1999, 05:28 PM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

have an off switch that is.
Old 12-10-1999, 06:57 PM
AvramD

Default You should give it a chance - this ABS is head & shoulders above the rest

I don't claim to know exactly how up to date other company's ABS is, but the Audi's has Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD). This means that it doesn't just pulse your brakes, it actually varies the pressure to them to find just the right amount of pressure to maximize stopping power without locking the wheel.

If you can get a solo test drive, or a test drive w/ a salesman that's willing to really let you push the car, go out to an untrafficed road where you can get up to 60+ mph in a straightaway, and really lay into the brakes hard. You'll be amazed - on a dry road, you'll get between 6 and 10 "chirps" between 60 and zero, the rest is all stopping power, and the chirps are way shorter (i.e. more quickly recovered from) than any human could hope to compare to.

There are a lot of people out there who think they can stop a car better themselves than ABS can, and with some systems, they are right - in an ideal situation. But not w/ this system. I've yet to see a non-ABS car that can apply different amounts of brake pressure to different wheels. When it comes to irregular surfaces, and actually turning during an emergency stop, this system is just unbelievable.

Besides, if you don't want to use the ABS, then just don't slam on the brakes. If you don't lock your wheels, then it won't kick in. If you do lock a wheel, then how can you say you didn't need it? Even better, if you do lock a wheel when varying the brake pressure manually (instead of slamming), you won't get "100 pulses per second" like with a normal ABS system - you'll get 1 pulse, or maybe 2, and then (as I said above), just pure stopping power.
Old 12-10-1999, 07:19 PM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

Default In certain conditions ONLY locking up the tires will stop you fastest

IN HEAVY SNOW. It's simple what stops the car fastest in the snow, it is the "wedge" that is built up by locking the tires. ANY anti-lock no matter how good, will increase stopping distances in these conditions. In published a test "R & T" a year or two ago ALL anti-locks, even the best failed to stop cars faster in adverse conditions, some failed by HUGE margins. They do give better control, but I suggest that the choice should be the drivers...my opinion is the switch should be mandated by the feds... and ALL horn buttons should be in the middle of the wheel...and...oh hell, where is my medication...
Old 12-11-1999, 10:35 AM
Russ Burns

Default Re: You should give it a chance - this ABS is head & shoulders above the rest

The problem is when you are on a washboard gravel road. If the wheels are bouncing, your breaking is severely reduced with ABS. You can steer good, but you can't stop. There are also times when I want to lock up the wheels to put the car into a spin. ie, Coming home one nite, road was solid ice. I of course was traveling much to fast for the conditions' came the the Tee in the road with a large rock so stop you if your going to keep going straight. I happened to be driving a 4wd subaru with snow tire so . I lock up the brakes, got the car to slide sideways down the road (down hill also) when I hit the Tee I floored the baby and popped the clutch and shot right down the road like a greased rabbit.

You have only one option with anti lock brakes, push and pray.
Russ
Old 12-11-1999, 05:22 PM
vb

To put the car in a spin with ABS, yank hard on the hand brake and turn the wheel.