S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

APR chips - Timed Runs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-1999, 01:16 PM
RM

Default APR chips - Timed Runs

I timed a couple of runs as someone requested for comparison. If anyone would like to post their MTM numbers for the same run it would be interesting as would the stock numbers. I did two runs each on two different runs. The first run was in 3rd gear. I started as close to 1500rpm as I could tell(I tried to hold it at 1500 and then floor the throttle while pushing my Robic timer). I stopped the timer at 5000 rpm. The two runs were very close. The first run was 8.00 seconds and the second was 8.16 seconds.

The second test was in 6th gear between 2 & 4 thousand rpm(this is basically 50 to 100 mph).
The first run was 14.27 seconds and the second run was 14.35 seconds. I tried to be as accurate as possible.

The APR chips are very quick under certain patterns of use but seem to me not to be smooth.
I could feel the glitches in power mostly in the 2000 to 4000 run in 6th. As I had stated before these chips just seem quirky for lack of a better description. I plan to call APR monday and return these chips and purchase the MTM chips. If the MTM chips feel like these I will send them back and run the stock chips which are very smooth and predictable. I will post a follow up when I get the different chips.
Old 11-27-1999, 03:04 PM
Brett- APR

Default APR Response

RM,

It is possible that your ECU has not correctly adapted itself for your car. I believe you purchased a new spare ECU and sent it to us for modification. Since the ECU was never in your car before, it must adapt itself to your particular engine. If it does not properly adapt you can have problems just as you have described. Please give me a call and I will walk you through the proper procedure. I will be in the office until late Saturday night (in and out) and all day Sunday as well.

Sincerely,

Brett
APR
1-800-680-7921
Old 11-27-1999, 03:44 PM
John

Default APR-3" Cat-back exhaust

Hi Brett!

Could you guys at APR do us a favor and replace one of the pictures on the S4 page with a picture of the APR-3"-Cat back, so that we can take a closer look at it. I have decided to change the stock exhaust, but it is so hard to decide with out hearing and seeing one. At least a close-up picture would help answer one of those questions.

Another great thing would be sound-files. The S4 is a very nice car and after spending 40k for the car, I do not want it to sound obnoxious. I believe when I say this, I am speaking for a majority of the S4 audience. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-1999, 05:33 PM
Par

Default Adapt the ECU?

Brett,

So, every new ECU has to be adapted before it is installed? Is the process tedious?

I am considering getting the APR chip on a new ECU too!

Par
Old 11-27-1999, 06:16 PM
adc

Default Re: Chips - Timed Runs

RM

I haven't had a chance to time runs with the MTM Stage 1+ chip & ecu, but I can attest to the smooth power delivey of MTM's chip. I have seen other postings that put 0-60 mph @ 5.07 for MTM's stage 1+.

With the MTM chip the power seems to come on a bit higher than stock (2,200 vs 2,000 rpm) and builds strongly (i.e rising rate) through 4,500 rpm, whereas the stock chip provides linear power to 4,500 rpm.

I'm surprised that you are experiencing 'glitches in power'. The MTM chip is smooth but strong in sixth, however there is a noticable increase in power between 2,200 and 6,500 rpm vs stock.

If you are accustomed to the linear power delivery of the stock chip, the 'rising rate' delivery of the MTM chip could be mistaken for a lack of smoothness. One thing is for sure, driving hard in wet conditions with the stock chip (i.e. full throttle just before the apex of 2nd and 3rd gear corners) is generally safe and predictable, whereas driving similarly with an MTM chip can be a handfull. The MTM chip produces enough additional power to induce excessive wheelspin, enough that I've nearly looped it in both 2nd and 3rd. I haven't had this much fun since driving an E30 M3. As soon as it dries out I will make a few timed runs for comparison.

If you want to take this discussion off-line please e-mail me.

adc
Black 00' S4
Old 11-28-1999, 02:48 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Re: Adapt the ECU?

I believe it's as simple as installing the ECU, then turning the ignition key to "on", but not starting the engine, and letting it sit that way 5 minutes or so.

I think there is also some learning that goes on as you drive, but the proceedure above "resets" it, so it can learn.
Old 11-28-1999, 04:31 AM
jerry v

Default Thanks RM, here are my stock times..(more)

I did the same runs this morning. 3rd gear at 1500-5000 rpm, = 8.41 and 8.43. 6th gear 2000-4000, = 17.85 and 17.80. AC off, outside air temp 40 degrees F. I assume premium in the tank but I haven't bought fuel yet (car has only 300 km). Times may improve with more KM. Can someone with more KM's time their stock car also?

While there is a signifacant improvement over stock in the 1st test, the difference in the second test is huge! I held it a 2000 rpm then floored it until 4000rpm and noticed a slight turbo lag. Did you do the same or did you accelerate through 2000?

It would be very interesting to see these same #'s for the TAP and MTM chips..... anyone?

These tests are more meaningful than 0-60 as they eliminate launching and shifting (and are not hard on the car) . The second test shows that the major power increase of your APR chip is right in range we use the most.

BTW, stock acceleration is very smooth without surges.
Old 11-28-1999, 05:23 AM
Andy

Default Euro spec times for comparison

Assuming that the gear ratios are the same for the Euro and U.S. models, here are my times:
2000-4000 6th gear: 15.9 seconds (35 degrees F, full tank, 700 miles, S4 Avant).
Comparing these times with those of Jerry makes me believe that there IS a difference in horsepower between the two versions, unlike some statements made by AoA people that were promising you that everybody gets the 265hp version...

Can't wait to get the ABT chip, will post these times also. BTW, I'm puzzled by AoA's behaviour towards chiptuning. In Europe, ABT is the official tuner of VW and Audi and factory warranty is not affected at all by installing their chips. I wonder why that's not the case in the U.S?
Old 11-28-1999, 07:10 AM
adc

Default Re: MTM chip - Timed Runs

It looks like I've been sucked into this 'testing' thing! I followed the same procedure as other readers in performing third and sixth gear acceleration tests with the MTM Stage 1+ chip. RPMs were held steady at which point the throttle was floored and the stopwatch was simultaneously started. The tests were performed on a flat section of freeway with a half tank of gas, engine at operating temperature, 180 lb driver, 42 deg f outside temperature, and light drizzle.

3rd gear 1,500 - 5,000 rpm = 7.92 & 7.95
6th gear 2,000 - 4,000 rpm = 13.96 & 14.08

These performance figures are subject to whatever tester error I contibuted, which was more than likely over-conservatism. I was very careful to not 'cut the stopwatch close'. I feel that a proper head-to-head comparison should be performed before anyone rushes to judgement.

Again, the power delivery of the MTM chip is smooth but noticeably stronger as the RPMs build, providing more of a 'peaky' feel one would expect from a performance vehicle than the stock S4 exhibits.

adc
Black 00' S4
Old 11-28-1999, 08:10 AM
RM

I held at the starting RPM

Quick Reply: APR chips - Timed Runs