S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is APR snub the best or is there a better product?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 05:32 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is APR snub the best or is there a better product?
Old 12-24-2002, 05:47 AM

Default I thought it did more for my car's feel than the DTS did, as for which is best ...

... they're all rubber donuts, how different can they be
Old 12-24-2002, 05:49 AM

Great DonP comparo/eval in Tech section under "Engine"
Old 12-24-2002, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm, I thought the DTS did more the the snub. But then,

I never had the DTS in with the stock mount. I like it with both. :-)
Old 12-24-2002, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The AWE DTS has many added benifets!

First off, the DTS adds an additional mounting point to absorb the additional torque load caused by chipping. It mounts to actual engine cradle and body of the car (the strongest possible points) and then to the bottom rear of the trans. It does a great job of keeping the entire driveline aligned. Vibration is minimal, or non existant, compared to the snub mount, which adds plenty of vibration; even if some try to convince themselves it does not.

Additionally, the DTS acts as a strut brace (from underneath) giving the body more stiffness around turns, so it actually prevents body twist. The DTS can be installed and removed in minutes. The Snub is a big hassle to install and will require adjustment to minimize the vibration a rock hard mount creates.

The Urethane snub mount takes an existing mounting point in the radiator support, which usually has a soft bushing in it, and replaces it with a rock hard bushing with little to no movement on it.

The problem with this is that the original snub mount location was *never* meant to hold the engine tight in place, but rather to limit the extremes of the engines movement. With the snub mount in place, you are putting all the engines torque and leverage on the radiator support, on the very front of the frame. This is putting a band-aid on something that needs stitches. Also, I have noticed that over time, it causes a creaking sound from the front of the car, no doubt from the radiator support getting tweaked form to much torque and shock load on it..

The snub mount was my first attempt at stabilizing the driveline on my S4, way back in early 2000. I gave up on that idea because of the vibration it caused, and the stress it but on the mount point. It also did not stop the rear of the tranny from crashing up and down between shifts without using a rock solid mount that had other complications, as far as I was concerned. APR saw the *rough* draft mount on my car and decided to run with it, after asking me if I minded.I did not mind, because I thought it wasn't good enough for the problem at hand.

I moved on to designing the DTS, which I released to market because it was superior in every way(except perhaps cost).\

Some may notice that all the 2002 A4's have a built in "DTS" now, nut a urethane snub mount ! :-) I wonder what prompted them to do that?!

Does the snub mount do what the DTS does for less money? Kind of, but not to the same extent. Is it as good, and does it do as much? No way. You need to experience it over a week or so to fully appreciate it.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:42 AM
Elder Member

Default Preaching to the choir, I plan on getting both...

I was just wondering if there is a brand of snub mount that is superior to the APR
Old 12-24-2002, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My personal feeeling is that having both makes the driveline too stiff.

Although many peeps do it, I did not like the rough feeling it gave my car.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:58 AM

Yea, my experience is in the minority. That's just the way mine is, I guess.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AMS Polymount is another option.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Greedspeed $13...works great

<ul><li><a href="http://www.greedspeed.com/products/products.asp?cmd=info&amp;item=781">http://www.greedspeed.com/products/products.asp?cmd=info&amp;item=781</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Is APR snub the best or is there a better product?