S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Audi tech battery install gripe...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi tech battery install gripe...

Just got done pulling my now dead OE Audi battery. It's got a "magic eye" showing green so maybe it has some life left in it if I slow charge the sucker.

Anyhow was not too surprised to see that even though the battery instructions (stuck to the side of it) directed it to be vented, the Audi tech that installed it under warranty (March '03 mfg date) neglected to do so. Rather they carefully secured the vent tube off to the side and left the supplied stopper in the baggie with the instructions.

Would that affect the life of the battery? I'm guessing its not worth worrying about, but it still pisses me off... lazy bum!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The only problem from not venting the battery is that corrosive gases will vent off under the hood

instead of underneath the car. Should have no effect upon battery life. Batteries can die from sulfation and still have the magic eye thing (hydrometer) show it being OK - that device is a very rough indication of battery charge state. IMO, many shops have beginner techs do stuff like battery installations and they may not have known that these batteries are supposed to be vented. Crappy, but dealerships make profit by charging you top dollar for labor and then having low paid techs do the work.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTW - 4.5 - 5 years is expected life of a battery. If the battery sits around too long before

installation, that can greatly shorten the battery's life. Sounds like you got an expected life out of this one, so no harm was done.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about people with trunk-relocated batteries...

Corrosive gases in the car?