S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bad CV cause vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad CV cause vibration?

Hey everyone,after searching the forums I couldn't find an answer. I have been feeling a vibration while driving from 55-70mph, and over the last few days it has become worse. I got under the car last night and noticed both driver and passenger side outer cv boots are torn and look pretty bad. My question is would bad cv's cause vibration while driving? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Former Vendor

Bad CV's can most certainly cause vibrations while driving.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
Bad CV's can most certainly cause vibrations while driving.
Ok thanks a lot. It's pretty bad at high speeds. I will be replacing both asap! Thanks again
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it only under acceleration? If you let off the throttle does it smooth out, if so it is 100% your CV joints. If it doesn't smooth out then it could still be the CV's but could also be that you lost a wheel weight.

I would get the 2 front wheels re-balanced since it's not that expensive, but if the shake/vibration goes away as soon as you let off the throttle then I would order some new CV's

I recommend this place, they aren't reground, they are fully rebuilt with new parts and includes new hardware and there's no core charge:

americancvstore.com
Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B5in
Is it only under acceleration? If you let off the throttle does it smooth out, if so it is 100% your CV joints. If it doesn't smooth out then it could still be the CV's but could also be that you lost a wheel weight.

I would get the 2 front wheels re-balanced since it's not that expensive, but if the shake/vibration goes away as soon as you let off the throttle then I would order some new CV's

I recommend this place, they aren't reground, they are fully rebuilt with new parts and includes new hardware and there's no core charge:

americancvstore.com
Ok so I put new axles in today and the vibration at higher speeds is gone for the most part but at low speeds it is still there. Both outer CV's were definitely bad but since the vibration is still there at lower speeds would a wheel out of balance cause this? It seems as if the vibration was only under acceleration before the axle replacement, where as now it seems to be no matter if I'm putting load on te car or just at a cruising speed it vibrates up until about 45mph.

Once I get up to 50mph up the vibration gies away unless I get up to 3,500+ rpm. If you have any advice or ideas on what it could be that would be great. I plan on getting the wheels balanced tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GETSOMES4
Ok so I put new axles in today and the vibration at higher speeds is gone for the most part but at low speeds it is still there. Both outer CV's were definitely bad but since the vibration is still there at lower speeds would a wheel out of balance cause this? It seems as if the vibration was only under acceleration before the axle replacement, where as now it seems to be no matter if I'm putting load on te car or just at a cruising speed it vibrates up until about 45mph.

Once I get up to 50mph up the vibration gies away unless I get up to 3,500+ rpm. If you have any advice or ideas on what it could be that would be great. I plan on getting the wheels balanced tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
The wheels could be the cause as well as a out of round tire - Get them done at a good shop (Like Discount Tire) If you had all the suspension work done - be sure to get an alignment too.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
The wheels could be the cause as well as a out of round tire - Get them done at a good shop (Like Discount Tire) If you had all the suspension work done - be sure to get an alignment too.
OK, thanks I will be getting the wheels balanced and an alignment today. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GETSOMES4
OK, thanks I will be getting the wheels balanced and an alignment today. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks for the input.
Ok so I got the car aligned and the vibration is still there. The tire shop said the tires look good besides the rear being older than the fronts. When the car wa being aligned the shop noticed that lower caliper bolt on the front pass brake was missing. I ordered the bolt and am waiting for it to come in. Could that possibly cause the vibration since the caliper is not as tight as it should be? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same problem with my car... Can a bad front diff cause this as well?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Getsomes4 - What did you find out with your car?

Quick Reply: Bad CV cause vibration?