S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bad CV cause vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sincitys4
Getsomes4 - What did you find out with your car?
Nothing yet man, just trying to figure out what's going on still. Starting to think I may have a bad front axle again even though I just replaced them about 2 weeks ago, I'm thinking I got a bad part but not 100% sure. I'm gonna call around today and see if I can find any help on what it could be. I'll update when I find out what's going on.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GETSOMES4
Nothing yet man, just trying to figure out what's going on still. Starting to think I may have a bad front axle again even though I just replaced them about 2 weeks ago, I'm thinking I got a bad part but not 100% sure. I'm gonna call around today and see if I can find any help on what it could be. I'll update when I find out what's going on.
Guys: Do not forget that you have TWO CV joints on that driveshaft. A bad CV there can cause a vibration on the road. I had to replace my rear Driveshaft to fix vibration AFTER the shop sold me a new left front axle I really did not need.

Get under the car and rotate the driveshaft back and forth..Moves a lot, huh? BAD CV JOINT!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clinton c
Guys: Do not forget that you have TWO CV joints on that driveshaft. A bad CV there can cause a vibration on the road. I had to replace my rear Driveshaft to fix vibration AFTER the shop sold me a new left front axle I really did not need.

Get under the car and rotate the driveshaft back and forth..Moves a lot, huh? BAD CV JOINT!
Really? So there is CV's on the driveshaft itself? So it could be a driveshaft problem and not a axle problem? When I put the car in neutral and rev there is no vibration. The vibration got better when I replaced the front axles. How much did the rear driveshaft replacement cost you?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

also it feels like the vibration is coming from the drivers side more than anything.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could having a new set of tires on the front and older ones on the rear cause a vibration?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a hunch that the problem is with the tires, wheels or caliper bolt. The new axles are tighter and reduce the vibration, but it's still there.

Put the new bolt in first and see what happens.

Before you keep throwing money at this problem, try swapping one tire from the back to the front and testing. If the vibration changes, but is not felt as much in the steering wheel, the front wheel you moved to the back is the bad one. If the vibration gets worse and you feel it more in the steering wheel, the bad wheel/tire is likely the rear one you moved to the front. If the vibration does not change at all, swap the other side front to back and check per the above diagnoses.

If nothing changes after all this testing, then I would suspect a motor/tranny mount or perhaps a bad propeller/driveshaft(the one going from the back fo the tranny to the rear differential). In fact, I would get under the car when you are swapping wheels and grab the driveshaft to see if there is any play.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

There's a lot of things up front that can cause vibrations.

Control arms, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, axles, tire out of balance just to list a few..

How many miles are on the car?

Has any of the above been serviced recently?

Is there any noises associated with the vibration?

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Pete
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
There's a lot of things up front that can cause vibrations.

Control arms, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, axles, tire out of balance just to list a few..

How many miles are on the car?

Has any of the above been serviced recently?

Is there any noises associated with the vibration?

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Pete
Both upper and lower control arms are about a year old and so are the tie rods. I looked at everything when I replaced the axles and everything looked good, no signs of wearing. Also the wheels were balanced again just a few weeks ago. The car isn't making any noises when it vibrates leading me to believe that it's a a bad replacement axle. When I take left turns or corners the vibration starts to but when I turn right it doesn't do it. It seems to be during acceleration and if I hit a bump in the road you can feel the vibration. It's definitely coming from the front and not anywhere else, because I had people in the back of the car yesterday and they couldn't feel the vibration at all. I'm thinking of just getting a new set of axles and seeing if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the input hopefully I can get this thing fixed asap it's annoying as hell!!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by GETSOMES4
Both upper and lower control arms are about a year old and so are the tie rods. I looked at everything when I replaced the axles and everything looked good, no signs of wearing. Also the wheels were balanced again just a few weeks ago. The car isn't making any noises when it vibrates leading me to believe that it's a a bad replacement axle. When I take left turns or corners the vibration starts to but when I turn right it doesn't do it. It seems to be during acceleration and if I hit a bump in the road you can feel the vibration. It's definitely coming from the front and not anywhere else, because I had people in the back of the car yesterday and they couldn't feel the vibration at all. I'm thinking of just getting a new set of axles and seeing if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the input hopefully I can get this thing fixed asap it's annoying as hell!!
Like johnkk said try rotating the tires at the very least before you buy new axles!!

It would be a shame if you didn't and you ended up spending all that money on replacement axles when all you needed was to get the tire rebalanced!

Good luck.

Pete
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
Like johnkk said try rotating the tires at the very least before you buy new axles!!

It would be a shame if you didn't and you ended up spending all that money on replacement axles when all you needed was to get the tire rebalanced!

Good luck.

Pete
Yea true. I'm gonna rotate them asap and see if that helps. Thanks for the input.
Tim

Quick Reply: Bad CV cause vibration?