S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

brake squeal at 25k miles, dealer going to machine rotors...safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake squeal at 25k miles, dealer going to machine rotors...safe?

Brought my S4 in because squealing has become nearly constant. Just reported to me that "you must be hard braker" but that he'll replace pads, machine the rotors under warranty. But warns-- this is a one time repair.

Anyone have a similar experience. I'm not a hard braker... though I just moved to LA 2 weeks ago and maybe that has influenced it (a lot of hard braking on the freeway... insane traffic).

Thanks for any advice.

Adam
Old 07-29-2003, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default dont do it. Mine did that a few months ago instead of replacing the rotors w/o asking me

... *and* the damn techs overtorqued my wheel lugs..

Now i have warped front rotors AND i'm 100 miles out of warantee.

The SA promised to "take care of me" on friday, but i am skeptical.

machining them will just take off material and your rotors will warp that much faster
Old 07-29-2003, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the rotors should just be replaced, not "machined"....

of course under warranty....
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had all four corners of rotors and pads replaced while under warranty. And I've see many others..

with multiple brake replacesments.

I really thought it was policy to not machine rotors at the dealership - liability or something.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:48 PM

I had mine machined in Dec - back in to be replaced in Apr (all warranty) - not worth it to me
Old 07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have had mine replaced and machined...

My feelings on the stock brakes is that they SUCK A**, if you are really worried about it, then upgrade otherwise its going to be an every 20k thing, either your rotors will have "Hard Spots" aka warped or they will glaze eaisly and become loud, espicaly in stop and go... My 01.5 has 30k on it.. Second set of rotors.. already machined once..
Old 07-29-2003, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default insist that the dealership replace the rotors, it has been my understanding that........

for at least the past 25 years, vw/audi, manufactures the rotors thinner (weight reduction) and that there really isn't enough material on the rotors to be refaced/recut/machined away.
here's how i got the audi district service rep (or whatever the official title is) to replace the rotors under warranty, tell him that the squeeking / squeeling is due to a hard spot on the rotor (manufacturing defect) as the hard spot heats up during use, it grows and becomes a high spot that causes the squeeking / squeeling when the brakes are applied.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:28 PM

Default I had my rotors "machined" last month...

Was getting lots of shuttering when I hit the brakes at about 50mph. Wanted to eliminate the problem prior to taking my car to the track.

Had the work done at a good auto shop instead of the dealer. They warned me about the downside of machining the rotors, and said they would eventually need to be replaced.

My car is still under warranty. I'm wondering if the dealer will replace the rotors even though I had them machined elsewhere? I have only been to one track event and don't consider myself as being too hard on the brakes.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BMW does the same, when the pads are done, the rotors are always below Min. thickness

get new rotors

BTW, my brand new rotors squel 40% of the time anyway

put more stuff on the back of the pads, to stop the squeal
Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i switched to the ecs slotted rotors and mintex red box pads, quiet as a church mouse and

less brake dust :-)

Quick Reply: brake squeal at 25k miles, dealer going to machine rotors...safe?