S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Conclusion of the ABS Module saga.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conclusion of the ABS Module saga.....

Since my last post, I had the rebuilt control module back at AutoECU because VAG could not communicate with ABS. I ordered and installed a brand new unit from Impexfap. Everything was good to go with the new unit.

The tech at AutoECU said a wire inside the resbuilt module had broken off. I got that module back and hooked it up in the car. Now it works fine. So now I have the new one in the car and the rebuilt (5 year warranty) one sitting on my desk.

All in all I am satisfied with AUTOECU's service. It was a PITA sending the unit back and forth, but it didn't cost me anything. $960 for a new unit is a safer bet than $350 for a rebuilt one IMO. I can't undersatnd why some guys buy used units and install them.

Hopefully NHTSA.gov will do a recall investigation. It looks like so far only MY00's have this problem, but probably just because they are the oldest models. Please file a complaint with NHTSA if you had a problem.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine's going in next week to have it checked out.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default is there a link to the NHTSA.gov complaint form?

I should submit my failure information. The more people that let them know, the more likely they'll look into the problem.

When I first saw the abs light I unplugged the ABS unit. I was worried that if something in the controller is faulty, it might activate one or more of the brakes at the wrong time. I haven't heard of problems like that but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's good news. They never could fix mine so it's at the dealership right now.

I hope it's not an electrical problem due to a mistake that AutoECU did. I'm still waiting for my refund from them. Hopefully my saga will end soon. I'm glad you had better luck!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:29 AM

Default That sucks. Keep us posted on what happens.

I'll be putting mine in the classifieds. Did you disconnect your battery first?
Old 02-04-2005, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, my battery was disconnected just to make sure nothing would short. I'm telling you it's just -

my luck. Oh well, it's all set now, $1650 later.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Conclusion of the ABS Module saga.....

My ABS and BRAKE lights started going off around early April and have now been doing so consistently 3-4x per day since then. I received two independent confirmations that the root cause of the problem was failing ABS controller electronics.

After reading up on this subject on both AudiWorld, the rest of the web at large and NHTSA ODI, this seems to be a rather pervasive issue with 2000 A4s, S4s and, potentially, A6s. Incensed that there is, in my mind, a clear design, engineering, supply chain and/or quality control problem here that Audi is asking me to shell out $1200+ to repair, I escalated the problem via two written letters to their client services department in Auburn Hills.

Unfortunately, both the first and second attempts at escalation resulted in more or less "We are sorry, but Audi is unable to assist you beyond the 15% parts and labor discount the dealership has already offered you. Audi is unable to address every out of warranty service escalation and their ability to do so is based on customer purchase history, service history at an authorized dealership, adherence to a strict maintenance schedule, and other factors."

As an engineer myself, the fact that the part installed in my 2000 S4 is Rev. A and replacement parts being installed are Rev. E is a strong indication that there was a well-known problem that Audi refuses to publicly own up to.

I am now moving my escalation to the NHTSA ODI and, potentially, a letter from my lawyer. Audi needs to own up to this design problem.

If you've had this problem in the past or at present, please do the same and file a report with the NHTSA.