S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Current plan of action for Imola.. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2000, 07:15 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I commend you, Jim! You can't just walk away from your Imola baby.

<p>The "R" in Type R stands for "rice"
Old 08-03-2000, 07:21 AM

Default Product of specialization. When you apply teaching methods used to train pigeons

and dogs on humans, you get humans with the intelligence of pigeons and dogs.....

Russ
Old 08-03-2000, 07:30 AM

Default amazed... (m)

Reading about this is unbelievable. I think as Scott said, property can be replaced.

You first said you weren't sure if you would be happy if it was fixed, so you would fix it professsionally and trade it in for a new car and fight for no reduced value due to the accident. Well, you got what you wanted - a total loss from the insurance. If the insurance company is not dicking you around, you will be 100% whole (less your deductible of course, but that's part of your policy).

Then why are you now going on this plan to fix up a car that the insurance has totaled? You must have quite a shop at home if you can paint better than a body shop that by your own admission does a great job. I think you need to put things in perspective. We all like our cars; that's why we post here. But I think there are more important things in life - family, friends, health, happiness, etc. Some things can be replaced, like cars. I think you are damn lucky that you didn't get hurt in the accident and you didn't go blind. So just take the insurance proceeds and buy a 2000 or 2001 S4 and have the satisfaction of starting all over with a clean slate.

IMHO body shops suck and the repair never equals the factory product. In fact, we are all so picky that we often diss the factory product and make use of our warranties. Save yourself the headaches and be glad you were made whole out of this whole thing.

Don't mean to come off harsh, but I think you got a little off course on this whole accident.
Old 08-03-2000, 07:37 AM

Default And one more thing...

I could understand your obsessiveness about the car if it was a one of a kind or a classic. But fortunately S4s are replaceable. Nothing's stopping you from starting over and making the next one as nice or nicer than the old one. Have fun and live life! Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 08-03-2000, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Jim, your story has become my "soap opera" - keeping waiting for the next move! Thanks.

Sorry for all your troubles though. I'm sure you'd much rather be driving her than fixing her.

Your misfortune has provided all of us on the forum with an unprecedented amount of great info.<p>2000 Silver/Silver/Tip
Foglights removed
F/R Mudflaps (custom fitted)
Mobil 1
Clean windows
Vacuumed interior
Few pennies under the seat
to aid weight distribution
Old 08-03-2000, 08:33 AM

Default If it works out, I will enjoy this path more than "doing it again!"

My work is all mental, I enjoy some physical activities, too. If this repair effort stops being "fun", I will stop and buy a new one.

As to painting, I am sure, as I am always sure of my abilities, that given practice, I can paint as well as any pro. How much time, I'm not sure, yet. And as I said, if I don't like the results of my efforts, I'll get an expert to do it!<p>Jim De Arras

<a href="http://www.imola.org">2000 00 Imola/Onyx/Alcantera S4</a>
MTM Stage II (Stage III on order)
MTM Full Suspension
MTM/Pagid Brake pads
UUC Short Shifter (original 20%)
Michelin Pilot Sports.
SmartTire Tire Monitor
Old 08-03-2000, 08:36 AM

Default You are wrong, I can if I need to. Would you replace your car over a door ding?

If not, then where's the line, and why is it there?

I have a line, but Imola has not crossed it, yet. At least not that I can tell, so far. The next week will tell the tale, for me.<p>Jim De Arras

MTM Full Suspension
MTM/Pagid Brake pads
Michelin Pilot Sports.
SmartTire Tire Monitor
Old 08-03-2000, 08:42 AM

Default I haven't been clear about "Ramp", check this link, I have the "pivot" model.

<p>Jim De Arras

MTM Full Suspension
MTM/Pagid Brake pads
Michelin Pilot Sports.
SmartTire Tire Monitor<ul><li><a href="http://www.chapmanent.net/pivot.html">http://www.chapmanent.net/pivot.html</a</li></ul>
Old 08-03-2000, 08:55 AM

Default I kind of look at these newer cars as crash helmets. Only good for one crash.

But, I am sure that if you give it enought thought and effort, you can get it back up to snuff. I would be sure to be on hand when they check out the body. Look to see if any spot welds look stressed, or any other minor issues. They design newer cars to destruct as a whole unit. So while it may be straight and go back together OK, you may lose a percentage of you re-crashability.

Take care
Russ
Old 08-03-2000, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I hope the engine doesn't drop out when that thing pivots...

Quick Reply: Current plan of action for Imola.. (long)