S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does Raising Your Psi give you more HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chill out Dexster. Check my post below. Short answer, GIAC-X is already close to the edge of K03 tuning envelope. You are not going to get anything much more f***n around with an MBC with K03's. If you want noticeable more power, need to run K04s at least. Check pic below. GIAC 3- is K04's with K04 stock fueling code. ASP 3 is K04's + fueling + tuning.

Bruce

Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah dude i got np with you just that guy down there was being a jerk thanks for all the help i appreciate it just learning day by day as i said
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

He actually wasn't a jerk at all. He explained how everything works in nice detail, apparently no good deed goes unpunished here anyway so you do chill.

Anyway, some good info here but I support what some said but most thought - you should not manual boost control a k03 car unless you do your homework really well and add some other pieces to the puzzle.

The simple reason is that you might actually be able to force K03s to provide nice PSIs at red line (15ish?) but you WILL blow your engine up is your stock fuel system definitely cannot provide enough fuel to the system at such a high air flow. What you will end up getting is extremely lean condition which will cause misfires, backfires, EGT sensors triggering (but since you don't have enough fuel they will be useless in ctronlling exhaust gas temp anyway) and eventually stuff will overheat and you will damage the engine. Engine will attempt to lower the boost to get things under control but guess what? Your MBC will prevent it from doing so!

So to recap, to run around with MBC you need larger injectors/MAF, at the very least.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thejulex
He actually wasn't a jerk at all. He explained how everything works in nice detail, apparently no good deed goes unpunished here anyway so you do chill.....
Here's what it is all about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio

More air needs more fuel to get to 14.7... Too much air makes your mixture too lean and you will kill the motor (besides over working the turbos)

Here's some more info if you are interested:
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Misc/BasicTurboTech.pdf
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Misc/Ni...m_Turbo101.pdf
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Misc/Ni...uildBasics.pdf

My 2c...
I don't think anyone was trying to be a d!ck with their answers. Neither am I, but I will agree with previous statements that you would need to do a lot of homework before you start doing what you are suggesting otherwise it could cost you a lot of money, unless that is not a problem for you ;-). There are some pretty good books out there that will teach you how to tune a forced induction motor. I have this one and it has helped me a lot to understand the detaisl etc. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/aut...ry-805-12.html

Hope that helps

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks For all the help i appreciate it. just got a little ticked off there u know...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

i looked around , and found a VAST 255lph Fuel Pump , and i found the RS4 MAF Mass air flow meter , what else would i need because i dont want to blow up my turbos, i actually bought the boost controller to lower my boost. but yeah list some items i might need on the K03 before i run high boosts.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dexster818
i looked around , and found a VAST 255lph Fuel Pump , and i found the RS4 MAF Mass air flow meter , what else would i need because i dont want to blow up my turbos, i actually bought the boost controller to lower my boost. but yeah list some items i might need on the K03 before i run high boosts.
Search for homebrew here and on audizine. There are many things you need to learn about how to do it properly and it cannot really be all typed in one post.

Fundaments are getting injectors and MAF housing of roughly the same flow increment over stock (so that the ecu still injectrs appropriate amount of fuel per amount of air) and lemmiwink (search for that too) any fuel adjustments if needed.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hehe, no worries mate. Thing with text is that it can be read in a different tone than the writer wrote it in.

I think you might be taking on a bit too much at once with this but you seem to be set on this course. With the vast pump and Rs4 airbox you've got the makings, but you are going to need some bigger injectors too, at least some green giants I would think. Lemmiwinks for programming - the software is tricky from what I've heard but it will do what you need.

At this point though you're almost at a stage 3 car. You could spring for some K04's instead and make some real numbers with those.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

nice nice , thanks alot and yeah i took it a little to harsh sorry about it and thanks alot for everyone , and yeah i have a intake is intake better then the rs4 air box or... idk about it but yeah and also i got a giac x chip , magnaflow exhaust , i just recently ordered a gauge and a booste controller i just wanted to know how high i can raise the psi without causing any trouble to engine but im reading up and learning so yeah thanks for everything but couple questions.

how many injectors does the 2000 audi s4 have?
and how much psi do you think i should stay at?
around 14 max 7 each turbo? anyways just couple questions sorry for people if im a "noob" just learning thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

nm lol found out theres 6 injectors but yeah turbo question
how much psi to keep at a good level each...

Quick Reply: Does Raising Your Psi give you more HP