S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mounts

All, I read the 'tech article' on replacing the motor mounts for my S4, but I don't see how it's possible. I realize it's not 'easy', but there is no way I could get my 1/4" ratchet in there with a socket on it. I'm not a mechanical wizard, but I can hold my own. I also had a buddy of mine who is very mechanically inclined take a look at it and he had no good advice either. Does anyone know if the tech article was written for a manual VS a tip? Mine is a tip. Maybe there is a difference there?

Both of my engine mounts were sheared off in a frontal collision so I'm working on both sides. The passenger side actually seems a little more friendly. The driver side is ridiculous so I'm going after it first.

My current plan is to make a custom wrench, drop the side of the engine slightly and cross my fingers. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Bob
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

All,

I took all of the suggestions that I could find online and still no luck. I bought the 'stubby' flex ratchet wrench, I bought the standard 13mm (12 and 6 point wrenches...I broke mine during this project so I needed these any way) and I bought the 13mm 'offset' wrench. There is no way in hell to get these bolts loose. It seems as though the tech article on this topic must be dealing with a manual transmission. Otherwise the article makes no sense. I can get my finger on both of the upper engine mount bolts, but there is no way to get a wrench in there.

I would really appreciate any input. It seems that the old crowd that used to be here has moved on and maybe no one has dealt with this?

Bob
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Post your question over on Quattroworld and Audizine. My experience has been that those are the two most active forums for the B5 S4 model, you may have better luck finding someone there that can answer your question.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob 2KS4
All,

I took all of the suggestions that I could find online and still no luck. I bought the 'stubby' flex ratchet wrench, I bought the standard 13mm (12 and 6 point wrenches...I broke mine during this project so I needed these any way) and I bought the 13mm 'offset' wrench. There is no way in hell to get these bolts loose. It seems as though the tech article on this topic must be dealing with a manual transmission. Otherwise the article makes no sense. I can get my finger on both of the upper engine mount bolts, but there is no way to get a wrench in there.

I would really appreciate any input. It seems that the old crowd that used to be here has moved on and maybe no one has dealt with this?

Bob
I use a short(stubby) wrench(12 point on closed side)I think its mac and a snapon 1/4" flex head lo pro ratchet with the 12point socket for both sides. its a tight fit for sure but, make sure your not battling crash damage and tighter clearances from the aftermath. OH, and all from the under side of the car...hook the engine bridge up and drop the subframe down and lower the motah, and boom. you got-em.