S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Got some bad news...sigh

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some bad news...sigh

Well. It's been a few months now since i've had my borla exhaust. 650 bucks from awe-tuning. Great Exhaust for the money (especially since i'm in college). Now here's the problem.

My installer didn't do such a great job because i took my car for 20,000 mile service and got more than I wanted back.

I get a call from my service dept (whom i'm really close with, great people at Anchor) and my rep goes "well, it looks like that check engine light isn't going to make you too happy, Aizaz. Whoever the installed it did a pretty lame job, and punctured your evaporation tube in your car. Now, we've already ordered the part, however, it's the installation of the part that's gonna cost some money. In the 300 dollar range."

Okay. What the _****_.

I did not want this to happen. My friend Gareth (D4a2n0k on this board) had a friend of his install his exhaust on his S, and told me to get it installed by the same dude. The install was done fine on his car, but now it's ****ed on mine.

300 dollars? This will be the second time the dealer would charge that amount after they replaced a tire for me (NOT UNDER WARRANTY).

Now, i don't want my parents to pay for this. And I, personally, don't want to shell out 300 because I have to pay off my bills.

What the hell do I do now?

Gareth, if you're reading, i'm sorry I didn't talk to you first, but i need a few answers becuase i have to answer to my dealer on monday to fix this damn exhaust.

I guess one thing good came out of my service: Car is running on mobil 1 0w-30, i supplied. Car is running so much more smoother, idling so much better. I love it.

But this damn exhaust is killing me.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Choices are: you pay or Gareth's friend pays.

I'd try to get Gareth's friend to reimburse you for this, but he may balk and claim that his install didn't cause the damage. At that point it's his word against the dealer. Meanwhile the dealer will want the payment. So chances are you will have to pay for the repair and then try and collect some (if not all) of the money from Gareth's friend.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You could just ignore the CE light until your cash situation is better. Evap is just emission stuff.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:22 PM

Default Here it is: Car is fine before kid puts A.M. Exhaust on car. Comes back with CE light on.....

Because of the installation. Person who put the exhaust on is responsible for the job. You paid him money to put an exhaust on, not to **** up your car. In my book, that gentleman would have to pay for the job. Any honest Tech would stand by his work and do the right thing if he wants referals. Integrity is key. If he was out to just make a quick buck, then he is gonna make quick enemies as well.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:27 PM

Check your email...
Old 10-28-2001, 12:55 PM

Duct tape.
Old 10-28-2001, 01:03 PM

Default See that's the thing though, dude. I didn't pay for it, he did this because he was a nice guy...

I didn't pay for the installation. i guess i forgot to mention that tiny detail. heh.
Old 10-28-2001, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

how can you possible install an exhaust wrong?
Old 10-28-2001, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ever hear the saying: "You get what you paid for..."
Old 10-28-2001, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Aizaz, doubly sorry about your car. I agree with you totally on the Mobil 1 0W-30. I can't

believe how noticeably different the car is running; totally smooth and quiet. I've seen the light, never going back.

Quick Reply: Got some bad news...sigh