S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Helllp! Hazard light circuit stuck on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helllp! Hazard light circuit stuck on?

This one is kinda strange. I come back out to my car from a store, and the parking lights and directional/hazard lights are all stuck on solid, as are the internal indicator lights for the directionals. Finally narrowed it down to fuse #39 (the hazard light fuse) and yanked that, which (temporarily and unsatisfactorily) fixed the problem - with the interesting side effect that when I arm the alarm, there's no light flash now (since the alarm uses the hazard circuit). It's like that circuit is stuck on. Anyone had this sorta problem? Any quick & easy fixes rather than waiting 3 weeks to get into the repair place (and risking a voided warranty for a )@*(#$ hardwired radar detector)?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2001, 09:35 AM
dpd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Helllp! Hazard light circuit stuck on?

check the hazard warning switch in ithe dashboard,this also the turn signal flasher and hazard warning flasher.if you use your cupholder often,someting might of splashed in it.to get it out,pop the trim off.take a pocket or small screwdriver and pop it out.put your fuse back in and if the lights are back on,unplug the switch,if your problem goes away ,it's the switch,take it do the dealer,ask the service writer to make a repair order,give him the old switch,let him give you the new switch and put it in the car your self.should take no more than 20 minutes.if you put the fuse in and no lights are on[car fixes its self]more than likely it's the hazard switch---write back if you still have problems
Old 09-02-2001, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default never really used cupholder.... (more)

moreover, if I push the hazard button, the button itself starts flashing, which implies it's not the switch that's messed up (though I'll try what you suggested). I'm more inclined to think it's an alarm problem, as that does seem tied into the same circuit.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:55 AM
dpd

Default Re: never really used cupholder.... (more)

the switch has 2 different circuits built into it.so,i would check that first[it's a possibility,not a definite],when you set the alarm,do th interior monitoring l.e.d's light in the door[little lights near the door lock pins],if they are on also,pop up the rear seat,you will see a little black box bolted to the floor towards the front where the outte edge of the seat bottom is[if your car as esp,you will see the lat/accel.sensor sitting in the middle].the interior monitoring conrol unit is a small box 2"by2"unplug it,if the lights go out,the control unit is bad[i think the control unit is there like a a4,i'll look it up,if it's in a diffrent location i'll write back].if the leds in the door arent lit,go to the central locking/alarm pump.this is located in the trunk,behind the rightside trunk trim panel in the botom edge of the fender coverd in foam.unplug it and see if it's filled with water,if it is,blow it out,blow the connector[your lights should be off]out and find out why water is getting in the back[maybe sunroof drain is clogged or off,if the car has a sun roof].note;there are 3 connectors on the pump,check them all----dpd
Old 09-03-2001, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ok, pulled the hazard switch...

Pulling the hazard switch out kills the stuck-on hazard lights, but also of course kills the blinkers (since they're controlled from that switch). Does that mean that switch is bad? Or could it still be the alarm circuit?
Old 09-04-2001, 03:16 PM
dpd

Default Re: ok, pulled the hazard switch...

turn signal flasher and hazard flasher are built into that switch.shake it,if you hear it rattle,it probably took a dump on the inside[normal].another possibility is the central locking pump,but i would expect more problems like crazy window/sunroof/lighting operations--dpd
Old 09-04-2001, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, locking works fine. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@dpd Still great advise after all these years! Found central locking pump water logged, P/N 8L0 862 257 N. Now looking for replacement, thanks!