S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just bought MTM ecu, all ECUs are not created equal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought MTM ecu, all ECUs are not created equal.

You read often on this board that giac, apr, abt, mtm, tap, etc. are all pretty similar. I've owned Abt and APR and I just installed MTM and the MTM blows away the other two. I suppose there may be a faster chip out there (x-chip?) but I can't imagine a more smooth power delivery and torque across the board than this chip. This is the way it should have come from the factory.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You talk faster chip, you have 1/4 slips or dyno numbers? probably not

I have not heard this about the MTM before. Especially over the ABT, the others okay I can imagine, but the ABT is damn smooth in it's own right.. Can you give more details about your ownership of the other chips, model ECU your vehicle sports etc?

I don't care either way and have a session scheduled to put three chips head to head against each other in the same car.. Just so I know what tuner is best for the M car (my car in norCal)
Old 06-30-2002, 11:56 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I found the MTM chip stronger on my A4 compared to APR...

however, APR's power delivery was more linear. My point is that each chip is indeed different. You need to spend at least a week, if not a month evaluating each chip to fully see how different they are.

MTM's customer support, however, wasn't to my liking, nor was their way of doing business (charging customers for software upgrades).

If/when I chip my S4, I'll be looking for local support. I have two excellent GIAC dealers within a stone's throw of my house (AWE/PES), and a questionable APR dealer several hours away (name withheld). Aside from the programming, I think this is the second most important priority when chipping...who is going to help you if you have a problem (related to the chip or not). An Audi dealer is the last place I want to go to investigate an issue on a chipped S4.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly. Each will work differently in each car. You're lucky to get 3 different chips

to try at once. How long are you going to run each chip?
Old 06-30-2002, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unfortunately only 2 runs each on the dyno.. But I had the ABT and the APR for a week for tooling

around. The ABT is damn smooth. The APR does well @ the strip with 100 octane.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:24 PM

Default The only scientific evaluation made was with Butt Dyno...

I have the "M" box, by the way. I had my Abt for 2 months and was very pleased with it. Great power that totally surprised me, but driveability seemed a little compromised at higher RPMs. The car seemed to stutter just slightly above 5,000 and it bothered me enough to remain stock. I swapped back ecus for dealer service and simply decided to remain stock so I so the Abt.

I got the power bug again and bought an APR with emcs. I thought the multiple programs idea to be really cool, but in practice I always was set on the "chipped" program. Very unhappy with the power delivery, I was even embarrassed to gun it with passengers. Under hard accel. the engine would almost shut down in 2nd/3rd gear above 4,000 rpms. In fairness to APR, I may have had the 91 octane program using 93 gas or it may have been a bad ECU. I sold it on for what I paid and the buyer was extremely happy with it.

I finally bought an MTM when I found a buyer willing to sell at my price. I'm ecstatic about it and will never part with it. I find MTM to be superior simply because I've been in a few MTM cars and they all feel stock while delivery awesome power.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:36 PM

Default You are right about some chips feeling faster....

one of my customers had a MTM stage 2..??

Downpipes & Exhaust with a chip.. IT WAS FAST!
$7500 worth of fast.. isn't that how much they cost??..

Funny thing is that one of the turbos started to make some serious howling noise after 5000 miles of driving..

more aggressive? I think so.

Some companies --->IMO<--- will sacrifice drivability/durability/longevity for performance and you have to be careful about that.

so we did a stage 3 k04!

much better anyway

later
mike
Old 06-30-2002, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got to get some 93oct for the APR. Comparable to the Abt for power and smoothness I'm told.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm going to bite my tongue on this one......
Old 06-30-2002, 09:42 PM

Default Go try some 100+ octane fuel ;-)

Disclaimer:
I will not be responsible for any crack-like addictions, excessive spending of money at gas pumps, or consequential speeding tickets and/or increased insurance premiums that result from such.

Have fun ;-)

Quick Reply: Just bought MTM ecu, all ECUs are not created equal.