S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Little help from logging and tweaking gurus. I've created a rough draft (m)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help from logging and tweaking gurus. I've created a rough draft (m)

of a logging and tweaking guide. The intent is to have a single reference source for good info that can be printed out and taken with in the car.

If you're interested in contributing, download the document at the link below and make your additions, then email back to me. I'll incorporate all the additions and changes and revise the document at the link.

It's in pretty rough form right now, so any ideas for the layout are appreciated.<ul><li><a href="http://www.myaudis4.com/dataloggingguide.rtf">Draft Logging/Tweaking Guide</a></li></ul>
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Elder Member

Default Nice idea, but I just don't know how to even start going about it.

I don't think I have the ability to put it in simple enough of terms. I look forward to seeing what others come up with, though.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yeah, its kinda something you have to grasp the concepts of to be able to do it - a step by step

guide isnt gonna cut it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Elder Member

Default Exactly. This is just a disaster waiting to happen for some poor n00b IMO.

It took me years to even grasp the most basic things. Once you understand those, then you can build from there. Everything I've learned is from Piggie and other forum members here. The best suggestion I can make to someone interested in tweaking is to hang around here for a while and read all the tweaking theads as they come up and to STFA for old tweaking threads.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i can see a primer on logging and basics of how to interpret them, but as for tuning, i wouldnt

even touch on that subject.

guaranteed you'd end up with people bitching at you for 'making them blow their car up'
Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Elder Member

Default I just think interpreting them is more than just looking at the #s....

There are lots of little things that go along with it, not just "this range is good, this range is bad, this is very bad."

A quick example is timing correction...someone might say seeing double digits is bad and single digits is good, but not entire true IMO. I want to tune my car to be in double digits at extreme temps so it can adapt for loewr temps while still being in a safe enough spot for extremely hot temps when I'm beating the **** out of my car.

Same goes for 02 voltages. I have a different definition of safe depending on different variables like octane, etc.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

Default you know what would be good? a crib sheet in small text..

with common procedures/decriptions...like:

Throttle Body adaption:
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Enter Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]

Checking Long Term Fuel Trim:
etc...etc...

Recoding ECU:
etc...etc...

I was going to make a crib sheet i could tape to the case of my dedicated vag-com laptop. too lazy up to now
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default right - i was thinking more along the lines of explaining each mesurable value and how it relates to

the overall health of the car.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's more of what I was thinking too. Not a step-by-step tuning (m)

guide, but an explanation of the tools, VAG/ECUx/Lemmiwinks, what the different settings do, and how they can be used to analyze or change stuff on the vehicle.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was thinking about something like that as well. A page that I could (m)

tuck in the armrest with some of the common things I log, or do with VAG.

There's a lot of good info on the forum, the catch is you usually have to search to find it. That takes time, some luck, internet access, and a willingness to compile the information and transfer it to something that you can take into the car with you. A printable guide with a pocket reference sheet would be handy I think.

Quick Reply: Little help from logging and tweaking gurus. I've created a rough draft (m)