S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Little quirks, and a little bitching...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2000, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little quirks, and a little bitching...

Something weird happened last weekend. I was cruising along at around 50mph, approached a stoplight and began breaking. Suddenly, my S4 veered left - hard! It felt as if the ABS was working overtime on the left side, and/or slacking on the right. My girlfriend drove it last week and she said the same thing happened once to her. Only 2 occurences so far...anybody else get this? Car has just under 600 miles on it, maybe a part of the "break-in" process?

Unrelated, ordered and tried to install the front mudflaps last Saturday. Bit of a nightmare. Looks like the A4 flaps are not a perfect fit for the S4? Why aren't there any S4 accessories? Need to do a little drilling in the flap to get the screw holes lined up - no biggie there.

Howver, one of the screws in the right tire well wouldn't come out! Stripped!!! On a $40,000 car, can you believe it? It turned (and turned and turned), I even wedged it, but it wouldn't budge. Think I even bent the screw a little. Anyway, talked to the dealer, and they're going to have a look next week. They want me to pay them to install the flaps. I just want them to fix that screw, should be under warranty. But, since I tampered with it, I could be screwed (terrible pun intended)...
Old 08-01-2000, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This has happened

It happens to me when i break on rough surfaces with dips in the pavement my car pretty much takes control.

As far as I can tell its with the road, not the car.
Old 08-01-2000, 11:30 AM

Default Is the stripped screw the topmost one? On my car, it was the pop-rivit-type threaded insert that

was slipping and spinning, on that screw.<p>Jim De Arras

<a href="http://www.imola.org">2000 00 Imola/Onyx/Alcantera S4</a>
MTM Stage II (Stage III on order)
MTM Full Suspension
MTM/Pagid Brake pads
UUC Short Shifter (original 20%)
Michelin Pilot Sports.
SmartTire Tire Monitor
Old 08-01-2000, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default where did you get the mud flaps?

did you get them from clair? they seem to have S4 specific mud flaps which i was eyeing.

also, i found the following mud flap install how-to link in the archives...<p>--
<a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=5013">'01 Silver/Onyx/6spd</a><ul><li><a href="http://www.est.org/~dorfman/audi/mud-flaps/">http://www.est.org/~dorfman/audi/mud-flaps/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-01-2000, 11:43 AM
rao
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There are S4 specific flaps for the front ...

the rears are the same as the A4's. They fit very well and are not at all difficult to install. I got mine from Clair's and the total was around $85.
Old 08-01-2000, 01:08 PM

Default Mine was actually the bottom screw...

...the only screw I CAN use to secure the flap. But the problem sounds similar. How did you get it out? Can't go in from behind - it's sealed up! Still need to drill in order to fit the top screw.
Old 08-01-2000, 01:10 PM

Default Re: This has happened

Hmmm...that's what I originally thought, but it was REALLY tough to steer out. Dangerous.
Old 08-01-2000, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Even those don't fit well ...IMHO (more)

I spent a good deal of time trimming the supposed "S4" specific front flaps to fit better. I trimmed off about 3/4" from the flexible part that goes around the body side molding and sill extension. I think they fit a lot better now.

BTW, I had no problems, other than the fit, with the installation. If your read the installation instructions mentioned in the URL given above, you'll see mention of a plastic piece that appears to be in the way of the right front lower clip. The plastic piece easily moves out of the way with the removal of one screw but this isn't mentioned.<p>2000 Silver/Silver/Tip
Foglights removed
F/R Mudflaps (custom fitted)
Mobil 1
Clean windows
Vacuumed interior
Few pennies under the seat
to aid weight distribution