S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Lookin for springs: Stasis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lookin for springs: Stasis?

I've got some neuspeed/bilsteins sitting in the garage, and would also like to go with a stiffer spring. A bit of lowering is a bonus, but I don't want anything more than an inch drop.

The 380lb stasis springs sound good, but it appears that their street springs are progressive, while their higher end springs are straight-rate. I very much prefer a straight rate spring... So, a few questions:
- anyone here running the progressive stasis/hyperco springs? how do they like them?
- the lady on the phone @ stasis said they wouldn't sell their straight-rate springs separately, but would sell the progressives...? what's the deal here?
- is there a preferred contact @ stasis? I got the distinct impression the lady I talked to didn't have a super deep understanding of the subject matter... that's being kind. i want to get some straight scoop from someone there before ordering.

thanks,
Scott
'02S4Avant
'00S4
'00Miata
Old 05-21-2002, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason you *dont* want progressive? They're very good as far as ride comfort

and when you push the car, they tighten up quite nicely (I'm not using Hypercoil, but am using H&R Progressive springs).
Old 05-21-2002, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well, if you want to talk to Paul Lambert, you're going to have to wait...

...as he is racing his car right now...

Check the Speed World Challenge Touring Car schedule, more than likely his availability will be dependent on that.

FYI, I've driven the Hyperco 380lb springs, they are very nice for a more aggresive street spring.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They're unpredictable

I've tried them on several past VWs, and always went back to a straight rate spring. It's tough to predict when you're going to run out of "soft" spring.
Plus, the light side of the car tends to un-weight more w/a progressive setup.

YMMV, but I'm personally strongly on the side of a moderate straight-rate spring.

Scott.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the 380s are progressive, though, correct?

...and any insight into if they'll sell the straight-rate springs separately, and if not, why not?

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the 380s are progressive, though, correct?

I believe that is because they are of a higher spring rate, and they want to ensure that they are used with a better/stiffer shock. If you use the stiffer springs with your stock shocks, the performance will actually degrade, due to lack of rebound.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default pretty sure, but you should verify with STaSIS...

But I did drive the 380lb spring s4 on fixed height Koni's and it was a good drive.

Very close to stock ride on the street, with decent feel in the corners. I thought it would be too light, but when matched on the Koni shocks, the ride was actually really nice.

For someone who wants no street compromises, this is a good setup. For me I tend to accept trade offs in street setup for what I consider a better overall car.

I didn't take them on track, but in the twisty hills, they were not unpredictable or "scary" to push the car on. This of course may be helped a great deal by the shock.

This isn't to say I disagree with you, I prefer a linear spring as well, but I also think of my street car is a street legal track car.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed

but I've got the Bilsteins sitting on the bench, which should be able to handle the higher spring rate... Maybe they'll come around w/a little begging

Scott.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do you know what the bilsteins are rated for?
Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nope

, but if they don't work well w/the springs, I can get them re-valved.

Scott.

Quick Reply: Lookin for springs: Stasis?