S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

More on Northeast Audi BBQ/mountain drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 04:20 PM
Vijay

Default More on Northeast Audi BBQ/mountain drive

I have been on the phone with the guys at LLtek. I will be getting sport mirrors and a rear wing from them this week. The will be sending me catalogs and assorted little trinkets to distribute at the Autumn BBQ. Unfortunately, I won't have enough time to have the items installed on my car, but I'll bring them with me for everyone to see. (event info at ctny.a4.org) I'll try to post a pic after Oct 25, when I'm getting the parts installed, along with my Dunlop Winter Sport M2 on the stock wheels. I'm also planning an oil change to Mobil 1 at that time. Should have about 1000 miles on the car by then.
Old 10-13-1999, 06:23 PM
AvramD

Default Yikes - why are you ignoring the oil-change FAQ?

It basically says *never* remove the break-in oil before 5,000 miles - it has special additives to assist the break-in process.
Old 10-13-1999, 08:24 PM
Dave

Default Re: Yikes - why are you ignoring the oil-change FAQ?

Sorry... But at 1K miles we are dumping out the factory stuff, and putting in Mobil 1 5w30! Have done that with every new car I have owned! All have run extremely strong, without a single engine issue. With Twin Turbo's leaving original Oil in there for that type of time frame is suicide!
Dave
Old 10-14-1999, 04:26 AM
JeffD

what size winter tires are you putting on your stock wheels?
Old 10-14-1999, 04:28 AM
Kate

Default Re: Yikes - why are you ignoring the oil-change FAQ?

Actually since the twin turbos in the S4 are water cooled, the engine oil is unaffected by them. In oil-cooled turbo systems it may be suicide to leave the oil in that long, but that's not the case with the S4. The turbos have little affect on the engine oil because it's a completely separate system.....the engine oil never has contact with the turbos. Therefore there's less degradation on the engine oil as a result, and really no need to change the oil as often. If anything, changing the oil at 1000 miles may delay the activities occurring inside the engine during the "break-in" period because you want the oil to become a little abrasive during the "break in" period to achieve these effects.
Old 10-14-1999, 04:31 AM
Kate

Default winter rims/tires

I'm ordering the ugly 16 X 6 black steel wheels from the TireRack with Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01 205/55QR16 tires. After spending $44K for this car, I can't afford vanity in the winter for the next couple years....
Old 10-14-1999, 04:44 AM
JeffD

Default what options are there though if you just use the stock wheels?

Obviously you have to use 17" tires but can you use different widths?
Old 10-14-1999, 04:52 AM
Kate

Default http://www.tirerack.com

If you go the the TireRack web site, you can query evrything available for the S4. You can get 16"-18" wheels/rims for the S4 there. Click on the left menu Tires, then click Winter Tires, and then input the vehicle information for Winter Packages by Car in the resulting form. There are other searches you can conduct if you're not interested in winter packages. Good Luck
Old 10-14-1999, 06:06 AM
Vijay

225/45HR17
Old 10-14-1999, 06:13 AM
Vijay

Default Re: winter rims/tires

Kate... Don't do it!!!!

The number of actual days one has to drive with snow on the road is fairly limited. Do you really want to compromise the performance of your car for 5-6 months out of the year for that. Please reconsider. Dunlop Winter Sport M2, Pirelli Winter 210A, Bridgestone WT-05, MIchelin Pilot Alpin all come in 225/45HR17 or 205/50HR17 to mount on the stock wheels, and will sacrifice little in terms of dry road performance over the stock Bridgestone RE040. In the long run, the expense is not that great when you consider how long the tires will last.

Quick Reply: More on Northeast Audi BBQ/mountain drive