S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

NASA: arrrrrrrrgh :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA: arrrrrrrrgh :(

and you are totally right about the design idiots that put the turbo's where they are... tho, not being an automotive design engineer, possibly thats the only place they could put them ? Anyway, all of us Imolas' share your pain. Hopefully you can lemon it and get a new one.... and remember, it AIN'T the colour. My votes on colour choices in order...

Imola, Cactus, Nogaro, Laser, Silver, White, Santorin and Black. But, you cannot go wrong with ANY colour, they are all gorgeous... my list is based on cleaning time... i have owned EVERY colour on the list with the exception of Nogaro, and silver/white are by far the easiest to keep clean.... just too many freekin' silver cars out there for me (but silver does look SWEET on the S4). Enough rambling, I'm off to the links. Condolences again Pete, chin up, hip hip and all that rot.

Earnie

P.S, remember....

"when everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Old 05-12-2001, 05:57 AM

Default Real problem is a truly first class car, and too many second class dealers.

If you want to blame a single point, blame CBS for the smear job with the "unintended acceleration" mess in the late 1980s. Sales fell, dealers left, and AoA had to scramble to maintain an existance in the USA. When sales finally picked up, many of the dealer were not prepared for the work load, and had not updated thier audi tools and training for years. This is the situation into which the S4 appeared. Yes, it's had some problems on it's own, but if it has any complex problems, like a turbo failure, the mechanics are just not trained or experienced enough to handle it, and they end up creating a lemon out of what should have been a straight forward, if complex, repair.
Old 05-12-2001, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default not to mention the lack of discretion the dealers have...

AoA is like an HMO for the dealers. They will approve UP TO a certain point of repair to reimburse the dealer.

Now it was obvious that something impacted my impeller originally and why they didn't replace the entire intake tract is beyond me.

The thing is though....and I cant stress this enough...the car ran PERFECTLY for about 1200 miles...made boost, no untoward noises...it was the best it had ever run...THEN kablooey.

Though I do have some minor issues with the work, it appeared they did the turbo swap properly...although these charge pressure deviations may simply mean one turbo has been straining to make full boost all this time.