S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!!!

So long story short:
I took the car to a highly recommended local place to get the oil changed.

They offered to flush the trans, and I not knowing any better said sure.

They made a comment about the fluid being so dirty it was brown, I said wow good thing we changed it...

Two weeks and over 800 miles later the transmission acts kind of clunky, the car is killing timing, and my check engine light flashes when I get on it at all.

I take it in to Eurotechnic and they tell me that the torque converter is slipping.

Odd I think since I just had a diagnostic run last week with no issues.

I tell them about the trans flush and they look really worried and take a sample it is red tinted full of brown particulate matter. Looks like soup. They used red, gm style transmission fluid.

Talked to the dealership to get a second opinion before going in and they said that all it would take to do to ruin th transmission is to drive it around the block with that stuff in it.

So I went back to the shop that did the flush and they offered to handle everything, and said they would pay to send it to their mechanic.

That being said, I just want to know if anyone knows what my legal rights are in this mess.

I am concerned that their mechanic will just say that a flush is good enough. Can I demand that it be taken to the audi dealer afterwards to have it inspected?

Thanks to anyone for the help.

The worst part is, is that this is my soon to be fiance's graduation present that needs to be ready on friday night.

Any info will help. I am in orlando.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You should try and make them swap in a new trans/freshly rebuilt trans and TQ.

Sorry I don't know more about what to do in this situation. I'm assuming that they don't want to have the transmission rebuilt by an audi mechanic. But obviously thier knowlege of these cars is quiet limited, and I wouldn't trust thier work at all. Obviously it was thier responsibily to very that thier fluids were compatible, but it would suck having to go to court to get the work done right.

You might want to ask at quattro world. they have more flow these days and might be able to get you help faster.

I assume you have already asked if you can have your normal shop do the repair work?

Last edited by complacentsee; 05-11-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Never trust anyone to work on your car. These cars are too damn complicated for anyone that isn't a vag pro
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Transmission work

You should have an Audi-aware technician work on the car. There are specific fluids that must be used in the automatic transmissions. There are some red fluids that are compatible to the Esso fluid, but the shop probably used a non-compatible fluid.

The shop is at fault and I would not let them send my car to anyone associated with them. The dealer would be the safest but most expensive. I agree with the previous poster that a rebuilt one could be installed if the fluid exchange does not resolve the problem.

My guess is that there is some damage already, so Friday is almost surely out of the question. Word to the wise, never trust anybody with an Audi unless they are Audi-aware.