S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need some help with some strange noises...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with some strange noises...

ok here is the short story.. I am new to this board since I will be soon buying a B5 S4... I am looking at one now that has an extensive history. It was stolen from Texas, brought to NY, totaled, but not by an accident, salvage title, rebuilt, and now has the title re-instated. The car is clean and I have actually been having my dad go and look at the car with me since he is an auto adjuster for Geico. All the body lines look good and he doesn't see any real serious damage to the engine bay which could mean trouble. The car has only 53k miles on her, TB job was just done. My dad finally got a chance to test drive the car today and explained this weird noise to me. He said it only happened in first gear and it was after it was in the higher RPM's he said somewhere after 10mph in 1st gear. He described the noise to me as a sloshing noise as you would hear water sloshing around in a bucket. To the best of his ability he said it sounded like it was coming from the engine bay... has anyone heard anything like this before? Could be a bad turbo noise? I am new to the turbo world and couldnt justify a bad turbo and a good turbo. The other problem is the display in the VDO display is missing lines... what are the options for fixing this? Thank you to whoever replies back.. I will be in here quite often once i get the car. Thank you, Josh
Old 03-19-2006, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

how much are they asking? 6sp or tip? water noise could be fluids
Old 03-19-2006, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my thoughts..

if the noise is more of a swoosh, check the air box and make sure its not an intake, also, find someone in here with a vag in that area to run it, it could just be a boost leak..

as mean as everyone seems, mostly everyone in hear is actually really cool, and will try and help out..its like a big family with tough love..ive found out on mulitple occasions..haha

second is it only it 1st ? or in every gear ? if it is in every gear it def. sounds like an intake or boost leak. If it were turbos u would know it..lol

If u do decide to buy the money pit, then good luck with everything..

BTW what is the warranty status on it ?? and how much are u paying with what color and what options..if u dont mind me asking
Old 03-19-2006, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: how much are they asking? 6sp or tip? water noise could be fluids

6 speed... asking 15,800 for the car.. i am going to see if i can get 15 flat for it..... what fluids would be making that noise? and he said it only made it in 1st gear... he didn hear it in any other gear.. thank u Josh
Old 03-19-2006, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the cluster can not be fixed. I dont know what the sloshing would be.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: my thoughts..

yea no problem.... there is no warranty since it was voided after the title became salvage.. it is nogaro blue with just the plain black leather interior which WILL b switched sooner or later to the alcantra.. it has every option but navigation... all stock...I plan on having Valenti Motors up in Watertown CT to take a looka t it for me. My dad has some connections up there and will hopefully get a good deal on a mechanic looking it all over for me.. thanx guys a bunch for all the help.... Josh
Old 03-19-2006, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default id prolly do it, try and get a warranty threw a private company if possible..

as far as the lvd screen, that has to be repalced..its a pain and prolly not worth the money..i just put a pick in front of mine..lol although mine has all of the bars, i just keep it off so that it doesnt go bad..haha
Old 03-19-2006, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i dont think he can get a warranty it i a salvage
Old 03-19-2006, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you know, I swear mine made that sloshing noise last week....

right after startup, it did it twice. Very faint, but I swear I heard it. Couldn't tell if it was from the engine bay or the heater core. My best guess is trapped air being churned up and expelled. Why it's getting trapped in the first place, I have no idea. My coolant level is a tad low, right below the 'low' indicator, but that shouldn't do it unless I was sustaining lots of high G turns, and even then, jeez.